close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lanyard hole subcompact glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by barnetmill, May 2, 2007.

1. barnetmill

barnetmill

I have a subcompact glock without the hole for a lanyard. My question can I just drill a hole in the backstrap for one?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Can I ask what you are going to do with a lanyard on it?

3. barnetmill

barnetmill

The uses of a lanyard should be obvious.

A lanyard is an option that be used can to give 100% gun retention if needed. In the past I carried that glock in a fanny pack but now I will use a clip to hold it behind my right hip with trigger block. When boating I would like to have a lanyard or when walking through brush. There are many places that a lanyard would prove useful. I view my G33 as a gun that I can face anything that walks on two legs as well as most things that walk on 4. The important is too make sure that you have it ready and do not lose it.

4. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    My question can I just drill a hole in the back strap for one?

Yes, and if you're cleaver drill it so you can install a grip plug.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The lanyard also catches on everything you go by and gives a nice handle for somebody struggling for you gun. Since it sounds like you are using one of those holsterless clips, you can look for the gun to get jerked out of your pants a lot in the woods, leading to the danger of ND's on tree branches and such. Personally, I've never seen anybody use a lanyard that wasn't required to use one by some regulation. I'd recommend a holster.

6. barnetmill

barnetmill

Duck: what is the advantage of installing a plug?

Bren: It would take a while to explain why what you say is wrong for me. What you advise however may be right for you. But for the others out there for my use a lanyard would only be used in extreme cases. A lanyard is an option which you can use or not use. Most of the time it would remain in the back pocket unattached to my glock. Anyone that attaches a lanyard to the neck and leaves it exposed is creating problems. When worn I would conceal it with one end attached to the belt and the other to the gun and the rest of it in your back pocket right next to the gun. With an untucked shirt over the gun it is almost undetectable. Up close I am better than average with my fists, feet, etc. I would likely not go for the gun if the other person does not have a weapon. I would certainly try to get some distance prior to drawing it. Belt holsters leave a very notable bulge for me that is detectable. The G33 with the clip so far has not fallen out during martial arts type exercises. For me it is quite secure.

In combat once the gun is drawn a lanyard can tie it to your wrist. Dropping a drawn gun especially durring a fall when running or a car crash often results in the gun getting lost.

7. JMBare

JMBare .357 Sig Member

I second the holster idea. If you get a retention holster, such as BlackHawk's Level 2 Serpa design, you can be assured that the gun isn't going anywhere until you want it to, as it takes a deliberate action to draw the firearm. With a good holster, you also will not have the firearm rubbing against your body, and potentially falling into your pants(bad news for the pee pee.. lol) Most importantly, the Serpa holsters completely shroud the trigger guard untill the weapon is drawn, meaning you can do away with the trigger block.

Something else to consider, what if someone does get ahold of your gun in a struggle, Now you can't get away. Lanyards are just plain bad news.

Here is an example: http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4105

See ya,
    JMB

8. dissthis

dissthis Gun Fan

I have thought about drilling out the lanyard hole alittle bigger to allow a cable lock to go through it so I can lock my gun holstered under my car seat.

9. JMBare

JMBare .357 Sig Member

That's a good idea. Have you ever thought about bolting one of those single gun Speed Safes to the underside of the rear deck, in the trunk?

I have been thinking about this one myself.

-JMB

10. barnetmill

barnetmill

JMBARE "Something else to consider, what if someone does get ahold of your gun in a struggle, Now you can't get away. Lanyards are just plain bad news."

"Now you can't get away." You do not want to get away from a gun.
    When facing a knife and you are disarmed, retreating a short distance will negate the knife (assume it is not thrown). When facing a pistol you want to be as close as possible or a hundred meters or more away, a short distance away will not help much in most cases.

The whole point of using a clip is concealment. A holster with a snap is more secure if you can manage it. I can not conceal a glock with a holster.

The most important thing about a gunfight is to have a gun in your hand.

11. JMBare

JMBare .357 Sig Member

I guess you do not do that much tactical shooting, including shooting on the move and from concealment and or cover and at MOVING targets.

Well, I do. I practice often, occasionally at mock entry house, which presents moving target and simulates high stress target acquisition drills. It simply is not that easy to score a COM hit a moving target at any range greater than about 5 yards. So, if you end up in a struggle and somehow lose the control of your firearm (Which happens more often than you might like to think), the BEST option at that point is to move quickly, to either flank(preferable to the shooters strong side) and put distance between you and the now armed assailant, unless you are some sort of ZEN martial arts master and can kill the man with a touch of your finger, LOL If you are LEASHED to the assailant, you are SCREWED!!!

If you bothered to click the link to the BlackHawk holsters, you would have seen that they do not deploy a thumb strap, rather an intuitive design that locks the firearm into the holster by engaging the trigger guard on the inside. This means it is now virtually impossible to draw the weapon, without engaging a button which is located, exactly where your trigger finger should be for a safe drawing grip, allowing a strong three finger hold. This system represents TOTAL retention, without further obstruction.

Regarding concealment, well, I own a G33 which goes out with me every day!!! The holster for this firearm is small and gets held in really close and high on the belt. Often, my only "concealment Garment" is a polo shirt, left untucked! The firearm on completely covered and easily drawn if need be. It really isn't that difficult. Even on a hot day, a simple angler's vest will act as great cover for a holstered firearm, and will certainly not raise anyone’s suspicions if worn while wandering through the woods.

Though, I agree with this statement; my point was, what you do IF you no longer have that gun in your hand and it suddenly finds its way into the other guys hand. Well, I guess all you all you have left to do is pray, because running (The second half of the "Fight or Flight" instinct), though it is the last ditch effort, is no longer an option!!!

SO………..Good luck with that!

-JMB

12. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    Duck: what is the advantage of installing a plug?

Putting them in helps support those that sell them. I have them in all my Gs.;)

13. barnetmill

barnetmill

Concealment seems to be easier for some people than others. I know people that are able to carry full size guns regularly. I can not. The difficulty of the the glock is that is too thick for me me even with the 26,27, & 33. I will try a keltec pf9 as soon as I can locate one. Too bad glock will not make a single column pistol in a 9 mm luger caliber.