close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

language barrier

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side' started by slightlyabnorml, Nov 10, 2003.

1. slightlyabnorml

slightlyabnorml

A new york plumber of foreigh extraction with a limited command of english wrote the national bureau of standards and said that he found hydrochloric acid quickly opened drainage piles when they got clogged and asked if it was a good thing to use.
    A bureau scientist replied:
    " The efficacy of hydrochloric acid is indisputable, but the corrosive residue is incompatible with metallic permanance."
    The plumber wrote back thanking the Bureau for telling him that the method was allright.The scientis was a little disturbed and showed the correspondence to his supervisor, who in turn wrote,"We cannot assume the responsibility for the production of toxic and noxious residue with hydrochloric acid and suggest that you use an alternative procedure."
    The plumber wrote back and agreed with the bureau- hydrochloric acid works fine.
    A top scientist- boss of the first two, broke the impasse by tearing himself loose from technical terminology and writing, and sent the following reply...

"Don't use hydrochloric acid, it heat the hell out of the pipes."

2. oldgranpa

oldgranpa

The old KISS works for me. Reserch proves it:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
    the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

cherrs!
    go..I mean og^1 ...hic

3. milkdud

milkdud

Oh how right thou art!

"Irregardless" how words are spelled, people just don't seem to care anymore and will undoubtedly revile you if you try to correct them. Even the journalists don't care how they use (rather misuse) words when words are their tradecraft. Finally, nobody seems to know what an adverb is anymore, much less how to use one instead of an adjective.^c

4. urbanden

urbanden

I'm with you, milkdud!! Apostrophes (not apostrophe's ---- aaaaarrrrghhh!!!!!) are my big hangup. Especially in "it's"....^2