close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lane Splitting

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by codivecop, Feb 24, 2007.

1. codivecop

codivecop

After riding 20 miles at 5-15 mph, I am suddenly a supporter of this.

Maybe

I guess if it's legal to do so, and there was enough room I would do it. But I couldn't see riding my bike on the dashed line between lanes of cars that were moving.

Where is this legal? I guess my dislike of the practice in the past was I didn't know it was legal in some states, so seeing made me shake my head. But if it is legal, who am I to disagree.

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Lanesharing is legal in California. In most places I have ridden here, people pretty much expect it during stop-and-go freeway traffic and leave you enough room. I asked a CHP officer buddy how many lanesharing crashes he'd taken in his time (25+ years with CHP, 15 or so on motors) and he said not a one. I think if traffic isn't moving more than 20 or so MPH, and you keep the speed difference between you and traffic to no more than 10-15 MPH, you will be pretty okay. That is, if you can ride properly - never take the feet off the pegs when the bike is moving, countersteer, brake properly and remember that every cager is a vehicular manslaughtering maniac. I have probably 200 hours of lanesplitting (that is a more accurate summary than miles traveled, since I am kind of a CS and don't go really fast when doing so) with only one close call.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

People from non-Cali states have been brainwashed into thinking that lane splitting is dangerous for the motorcyclist. When you're between the cars in bumper-to-bumper traffic, they can't "just" swing over and "catch" you. When traffic is moving enough so that there are enough rooms for cars to sudden switch lane, that's when it gets dangerous and only idiots would try to split lane then.

Or there will always be morons who think it's cool to blast down between the cars at around 50-MPH while the cars are at crawling traffic paces. I've seen morons that have done this while they're on Harleys, choppers, crotch rockets, pasta burners, Goldwings, BMWs, etc.

There are no set limits on speeds in California when it comes to lane splitting, but hauling *** between the cars isn't "reasonable and prudent".

Just take your time and glide past the crawling cars and you're OK.

I wish that there are lane sharing laws all over the US. There's nothing worse than doing the stop'n go traffic with all the cagers around you wanting to make metal sandwich with you being the filling.

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Every rider that lane splits is just one less a-hole who would otherwise be adding to the traffic jam. Usually after stating that, the car drivers don't seem so resentful.

I wish I could do it here. I don't think it's legal.

If the cars aren't rolling, then they have very limited lateral movement capability.

5. codivecop

codivecop

So is there a list of what states say it's legal? I have been working (too many friggin hours) and haven't taken the time to look. I figured ya'll would be a good source, since FN seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is versed in his states laws.

6. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Lane splitting technically legal in California ONLY.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Lane splitting in California is "legal" in a sense that it's "not illegal". There are no laws specifically forbidding lane sharing as in other states. And there are some vehicular codes that stated that lane sharing between vehicles (did not differentiate between moto, truck, cars, et al) under certain road conditions are OK, and also if there is enough room on the lane for sharing.

There are no specifications for speed limits during lane splitting, so in a sense, you can split lane at 100-mph, that is if you're stupid enough to do it. But then the cops can get you for reckless driving.

Texas had tried for a lane sharing law last year but the motion failed. Supposedly they'll try again this year.

Everybody's crying about doing something about gasoline consumption and traffic jams, but they don't give the people the incentives to take up two-wheeled commuting.

8. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I think most cagers who are against lanesharing are just jealous little jerks - they don't motorcycles in the first place. I think motorcyclists who are against lanesharing don't like it either because they have never done it because it's not allowed where they ride, or because they don't have the skill level, or at least don't have confidence in their skills. If I can make the move with safety and do it legally, I will go up the middle and get where I need to be, not sitting and wishing.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Quite true. When you talk to the cagers about lane splitting/lane sharing, the first thing out of their mouths isn't "oh jeeze, that's dangerous" but "if I can't do it, then why should they?".

10. codivecop

codivecop

Interesting POV!!!! I always said people should learn to drive with a man-trans because it takes more "paying attention" than the

auto-trans, auto-wipers, auto-lights, auto-backup alarm, auto-windows, auto-phone answering, etc.......

Now I am thinking everyone should learn on a bike to learn the attention skills they should always have and use.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Just ask yourself if you're willing to save on gas but have to crawl with the traffic, out in the elements, sucking up exhaust fumes? Your bike is burning up?

That couple of dollars saved isn't worth the hassle of duckwalking the bike along traffic congestions, getting wet from rain, getting cold from winter, getting hot from summer. However, if you can save about an hour worth of commute, that's one hour you don't have to sit in traffic every day...things look a bit more tempting. So, that means car pool lane privilege and lane sharing, and maybe cheap or free parkings would be nice too.

One motorcyclist means one less car in front of you. It's that simple. But we need incentives to make it worth our while.

I can tell you guys that if I were in a crowded city that's not in California, I'd say the hell with it and drive my car more too. If I'm gonna be stuck in traffic, I'd rather sit in the cabin with my HVAC on.

12. codivecop

codivecop

We get the HOV lanes here. I am just wondering if I am going to be OK across the country on my trip. There are some big cities I am going through

13. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

Nothing worse that sitting in Traffic in Baltimore at midnight for an hour while 6 lanes go to 1....I live in KY at I had been up since 0600. Ole and to make it even better, mother nature was providing a light show and a free wash was on the way. It took all that I had to just sit there and KNOW I was about to get SOAKED! It didnt rain until I got out of traffic and THANK GOODNESS had my rain gear on. Cant wait to take another trip! RIDE RIDE RIDE!

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Moto in HOV lane, as I understand it, is a Federal requirement for states that use Fed money to make highways. However, there's a case going on in New York that a lady rider who got a ticket for riding in HOV lane even though it was funded by the Feds. She quoted verses and chapters in front of the judge and she still got the fine, but she's still appealing the judgment.:banana:

But California and Arizona do have motorcycle HOV lane privileges (very recent for Arizona from what I've gathered). New Mexico doesn't have any HOV lane. I don't know about Texas and the rest of the states lying along I-40 and I-10. You might have to devote some times and visit their DMV sites for clarifications.

15. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

The most I can get away with splitting up here is if I'm taking a right turn on a red light. If there is enough room between the cars and curb I just sneak up in 1st gear 10-15mph and do my stop/turn.

16. tshadow6

tshadow6

I would lane split in traffic jams, not when traffic is moving. I would like to see head of the line rights at stop lights, and far right lanes. We (moto riders) already have federal law allowing us use of carpool lanes.

17. gloxter

gloxter

I didn't know this. I'm in California. In some urban areas it's posted that motos are allowed use of the carpool lanes. In others, it's not posted.

If it's a federal mandate that it is 50-state wide, I'd like to see it. Don't know why, but I don't want to be pulled over and face a $300 plus ticket if motorcycle acceptance isn't posted on the carpool sign. Or, I could do my own work, not leach off you guys and ask a Chipper (CHP).:thumbsup:

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This HOV lane moto signage issue was brought up recently in California again. There's a petition going around asking for the Moto OK signs to go up again because although CalTrans took it off because it's considered to be a "common knowledge", some cagers have either forgotten or do not know that motos have HOV lane privilege and committed road rage or write in complaining about motorcycles in carpool lanes.

19. gloxter

gloxter

I guess this is it for California:

Carpool Lanes
    21655.5. (b) The Department of Transportation and local authorities, with respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions, shall place and maintain, or cause to be placed and maintained, signs and other official traffic control devices to designate the exclusive or preferential lanes, to advise motorists of the applicable vehicle occupancy levels, and, except where ramp metering and bypass lanes are regulated with the activation of traffic signals, to advise motorists of the hours of high-occupancy vehicle usage. No person shall drive a vehicle upon those lanes except in conformity with the instructions imparted by the official traffic control devices. A motorcycle may be operated upon those exclusive or preferential use lanes unless specifically prohibited by a traffic control device.
    (z) Traffic control devices include, but are not limited to, ladders, mattresses, and rolls of carpeting.

Not really sure what the he** a traffic control device is. I though ladders, mattresses, and rolls of carpeting were OBSTACLES!

-gloxter: