Landlord/Lease Question...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SIUC4, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

I am living in Texas, my landlord lives in STL and as of Jan 1 2011 she is selling the place and there will be a new landlord that lives here in Texas. My Question is what happens to the lease that we have signed until Aug 2011? Can the new landlord raise our rent or make us sign a new lease? I have done some internet research and found conflicting answers, I just wanted to ask the GT Brain Trust before heading to the lawyers office...

2. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

The way I understand it, no. The previous contract signed is still binding even though owners have changed. However, when you go to re-up, if they even give you the option, there is nothing stopping them from raising the rent.

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

I also believe your existing lease stays in effect for its term. You can bet there will be some changes however in your tenant landlord relationship. You have probably had it pretty easy with an out of town landlord. The new owner will be at your door everyday checking out his new property. Time to dismantle the grow house!

4. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. orgnova

orgnova

as a landlord, the lease should stay as signed, unless there was a clause stating something about the sale of the property in the lease agreement.

6. mv_myrx

mv_myrx

Under Florida law (Texas reciprocates licenses) the law states that the seller must disclose all existing leases and agreements, new owner isobligated under the law to fulfill the existing lease. (any tenant deposits are legally required to be escrowed and carry over to the new owners) rents are pro-rated and paid out to the entitled party by the closing agent. Once the new owners take possession of the property they "may" contact you and try to buy out your lease, renew it, or in some other way attempt to enter into a new contract with you. However, you are under no legal obligation to do so, if they do make an offer it will most likely be financially favorable for you.
    Hope this helps,
    regards,

7. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

thanks for the help everyone, I just don't want to try and get bullied into signing a new lease without knowing if I can say no or not, my current lease says nothing of change of property ownership so hopefully everything goes smoothly...

8. wilkersk

wilkersk

As far as I know, the lease is valid until the end of the term. However, some leases convert to month-to-month on fullfillment of the original terms. Month-to-month rentals usually only require a 60 day notice to terminate.

9. Sandbag

Sandbag Chief-Rocker

Lease trumps sale contract.
    Time to read your lease. There should be a 30-day out written notice by either party.
    The new owner needs to send you written notice of any and everything.

I suggest you contact him/her first and introduce yourself.