Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently we (my family and I) are living full time in an RV and traveling the country. Until, of course, Covid-19. We've been hunkered down at a friend's property in East TX since Februrary.
Once we're able to start traveling again, we're heading west. We've been looking at getting land and we're looking at a nice summer property in Utah or Idaho, with the possibility of staying in spring or autumn in the next few years.
We're looking for property with hookups for an RV, maybe a shop or barndominium on site, or land with the capability to build that.
We'd like for some trees but not too high an elevation as it gets cold and it's hard to grow a garden, which we'd like to do as well.
Essentially we're looking for a retreat, in Utah or Idaho, away from big population centers where we can park our RV and stay indefinitely.

What are some of the things to look for, things to avoid in either state? We're just beginning the research and discovery phase and are looking to get educated.

Any tips, pointers, advice would be appreciated.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,564 Posts
I really don't know the specifics if its what you're looking for, but Cour d'Alene is a gorgeous place that's in Northern Idaho. I drove though there two years ago and wished i lived there now.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't know the specifics if its what you're looking for, but Cour d'Alene is a gorgeous place that's in Northern Idaho. I drove though there two years ago and wished i lived there now.
It's beautiful in Coeur d'Alene but the winters can be brutal in that area. So I'm leaning toward the Sun Valley area.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would got for Southern Utah. I am looking there myself.
We might end up neighbors. :cheers:
I love, love, love the four corners area!

Reactions: jimcorbin

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about Wyoming? 35 acres for some $100K-$120K?
We considered it...
There are a few factors that knocked it out.
Namely WIND and all the good land is expensive and I don’t want to take care of more than 20 acres.
Oh and wind...

·
Banned
5,724 Posts
Arkdweller, how about Montana, or as Jade Falcon suggested, Wyoming?

Montana and Wyoming would be my top two choices in that part of the country.

But if it comes down to Utah or Idaho, I'd pick (northern) Idaho over Utah.

Just my opinion. I've never lived in any of those states.

I would love to live in Montana or Wyoming though.

Of course, the issue of finding decent-paying employment there is another matter entirely.

·
Simple Member
7,474 Posts
I would got for Southern Utah. I am looking there myself.
Me too! I really liked the Kanab area. Maybe we should start a GT community.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Of course, the issue of finding decent-paying employment there is another matter entirely.
We looked there. I really liked the idea of either state. A couple issues:
Strategically those states are attack targets. Lots of bases and nuke facilities.
Good land is expensive.
Lots of rich liberal influx.
The plains are very windy reducing arability.
Winters are brutal and I won’t be a Spritely young whippersnapper forever ;)

So we decided on ID or UT.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
Observations rather than recommendations:
1. weather.
Most of the people in this forum do not remember pre-air conditioning days. I do. One day, living with relatives in a boiling humid Mississippi summer, I said that when MS. got air conditioning, the economy would boom
Forget the he-man stuff about cutting logs when you will be old and infirm.
Forget the he-man stuff about building your own home without the assistance of an architect/contractor and knowledge of the local building code.
Focus on finding where you can live comfortably when you or your significant other is experiencing what is now called an underlying medical condition.
2. Years ago, I read a very good article by a real estate broker on why a person should wait until 18 months before retiring before considering moving and living somewhere, like a "retreat"/"rural residence" and so forth.
a. if you have relatives where you are living and your significant other doesn't want to move, you have wasted your money buying property;
b. if you or your significant other has a favorite doctor where you are currently, you aren't going to move and you wasted your money.
c. if you or your significant other has friends locally, you wasted your money buying some land somewhere else.

I am fully aware that you said "family" and that you were mobile. However, I am just passing on observations and not asking the salient questions like ages, occupations, medical conditions of the "family" and individual aspirations. Hell, my dad was able to drive 600 miles a day when he was in his 80s! I had relatives in MS who were out in the humid summer taking care of the large garden. I couldn't do it.

·
Rational
14,932 Posts
Really? Sounds interesting. Do you have any links?
We considered it...
There are a few factors that knocked it out.
Namely WIND and all the good land is expensive and I don’t want to take care of more than 20 acres.
Oh and wind...
35 acres with a 1-room "house"....I refer to it more as a dump (perhaps a bit harsh....it is livable), but you could rent it out or bulldoze it and build on site. $90,000, and a 30-mile gravel road all to yourself.

Yes....30 miles. You read that right.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/340-Sunshine-Dr-Rock-River-WY-82058/102748338_zpid/

When I was looking at places to move to, I crossed out Montana because of Liberal influence. I would love to visit there though. My two states were either Idaho or Wyoming.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
The OP didn’t say anything about their age, but the traveling and living in an RV suggests closer to retirement or older anyways. So thinking that I also noticed that he didn’t say anything about quality of healthcare infrastructure where they would like to eventually land.

Seems like St. George area and there about has a more stable climate year round, as well as excellent healthcare systems available.

I could see myself perhaps relocating there someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
Winters are brutal and I won’t be a Spritely young whippersnapper forever
You're thinking correctly. When we were young we bought land up near Sandpoint Idaho with a beautiful lake view. We thought it would be the ideal place to live.

About 30 years later we sold it. Made a nice profit, but as we got older, we realized the challenges of living in that area. Also on 20 acres, there was nothing to do to keep me busy. So it just wouldn't have been good.

Observations rather than recommendations:
1. weather.
Most of the people in this forum do not remember pre-air conditioning days. I do. One day, living with relatives in a boiling humid Mississippi summer, I said that when MS. got air conditioning, the economy would boom
Forget the he-man stuff about cutting logs when you will be old and infirm.
Forget the he-man stuff about building your own home without the assistance of an architect/contractor and knowledge of the local building code.
Focus on finding where you can live comfortably when you or your significant other is experiencing what is now called an underlying medical condition.
2. Years ago, I read a very good article by a real estate broker on why a person should wait until 18 months before retiring before considering moving and living somewhere, like a "retreat"/"rural residence" and so forth.
a. if you have relatives where you are living and your significant other doesn't want to move, you have wasted your money buying property;
b. if you or your significant other has a favorite doctor where you are currently, you aren't going to move and you wasted your money.
c. if you or your significant other has friends locally, you wasted your money buying some land somewhere else.

I am fully aware that you said "family" and that you were mobile. However, I am just passing on observations and not asking the salient questions like ages, occupations, medical conditions of the "family" and individual aspirations. Hell, my dad was able to drive 600 miles a day when he was in his 80s! I had relatives in MS who were out in the humid summer taking care of the large garden. I couldn't do it.
Some good advice above. And I grew up in the South in pre AC days also.

However I did literally build my own house when I was in my late forties. My one and only house. But it's been wonderful. Wouldn't change a thing about the house if we were to build it over again. Of course now, I'd have to hire it done. It took me 2 years to build it. We lived in a mobile home on the 142 acre property while I build it. Then sold the mobile home.

The only things I hired done were the well drilling, the excavation work, the HVAC work, the brickwork (full brick), and I hired a trim carpenter to trim it out. At times I would hire a 'go-fer' to help with heavy stuff. And our teenaged sons helped, when not in school. I just had it reroofed after 30 years. I'm just getting too old to do roofing on an 8 pitch roof now.

The medical care recommendation is also good. My wife now has significant health issues. I'm still in reasonable shape, but slipping. Oh yes, when we built, I made the house handicap accessible on the first floor. Although as of yet, we haven't needed the handicap part. But someday?

My brother made that mistake when they built. Then he wound up in a wheelchair from an accident (dead from the breast down) and had to have quite a bit of interior work redone, so he could live that way.

I also still enjoy running a small cattle farm. It gives me something to do. Without that, I'd probably wind up drinking myself to death out of boredom. If cattle aren't for you, then be sure you have something else to occupy your time.

I've seem too many of my military friends that retired in their late forties. They had no plans but to play golf, go to the O'Club, and take trips to Hawaii. Many of them died within 5 to 10 years.

And of course I've still got my hobbies and Church work, in addition to the cattle.

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,408 Posts
Around Orofino, Idaho are plenty of recreation lots and parcels. The elevation isn't too high there either near the clearwater river.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts