close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LAN Party

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by bigjim, Sep 3, 2004.

1. bigjim

bigjim

Does anyone else do this?

Get a bunch of guys together with their computers, set up a network at someone's house, and play LAN games all night?

I've been doing it for years, but now I have a buddy who owns a computer company, makes it a bit easier. He has monitors and lan connections for everyone, just show up with your tower and plug in.

He's looking into a LAN gaming center as an add-on to another business. Plans to market it to kids during the day and to "big kids" at night for corporate events, birthday/bachelor parties, etc (alcohol and stripper-friendly)

Anyone have something like this in your town? If so, how's it doing?

2. Tvov

Tvov

Now that DSL and Cable internet are widely available, I would think that LAN gaming may start fading. Isn't the biggest advantage of LAN lack of lag? I think it would be fun (group/corporate LAN parties), but I don't know how big a market it would be.

But, you never know. The person who thought up bottled water was probably laughed out of his hometown!

3. DesertEagle

DesertEagle OH HELL MY HEAD CLM

Ah the days of college ;f Where there was never an empty counterstrike LAN server to be found ;f

That's the only place I've ever done it. Although as was said, with good high speed internet (FINALLY had enough to start paying for it!) it's not as big a benefit as it used to be. But at the same time, while voice over IP is okay, there's nothing like a game where you can talk to your teammates over the shoulder. Best times when my roommate and I would play together, if one of us died we'd be cheap and use the camera to try and help the other win ;f

D.E.

4. Tvov

Tvov

Yeah, then you'll really be able to tell the gamers... The guys huddled in front of monitors during a stag!

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

There is a LAN gaming center (actually two) i know of in San Antonio. I know the owner of the nearer one. Military guys in training show up in dozens on the weekends, and overnight parties on Friday through Sunday are usually filled (birthday party groups of high schoolers, etc).

Be aware paying for 20-30 computers, server, and that kind of stuff was not cheap. He's scraping by, but beginning to do better. They've got everyone from six year olds to 50 year olds coming in, and he's usually open from noon to 4am, some days, later, some days, earlier.

6. bigjim

bigjim

Buddy already owns a successful computer service company, so the hardware, infrastructure, server, internet access, etc is all set. That should help with the costs.

Good to know that someone's making a go of it.

7. Malkuth

Malkuth Defend Freedom

ROME TOTAL WAR CANT WAIT ANYMORE.

Oh wait this is about lan.
    No thats what internet for now. ;)