close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lamb stew with Cabernet

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by BDNJ, Jan 28, 2006.

1. BDNJ

BDNJ

[​IMG]

This is very good served over roughly smashed potatoes or a nice polenta. Serve with a good zinfindel or cabernet. My girl likes this meal a lot and it makes the house smell wonderful while it's cooking!

Two things- you can/should really butcher up the meat for this but I was in a hurry and bought precut stew meat. Also- for the love of God, PLEASE use a good wine, one you would actually serve to people!

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless lamb for stewing (cubes)
    1 lbs bone-in lamb for stewing (bones add to the flavor)
    Flour for dredging
    Bunch of olive oil (sorry, I don't measure- used for searing)

2 medium onions, cut to 1/8"
    1 shallot julienned
    5 large carrots, cut to 1"
    1 bottle cabernet or zinfindel
    Splash of brandy
    3 tbsp butter
    10 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
    10.5 oz. can of chicken broth
    10.5 oz. can of beef broth
    Fresh rosemary
    Fresh thyme
    Salt and pepper to taste

Process:

Cut your vegetables and put to the side.

Coat lamb with salt and pepper and dredge through flour lightly.

Coat the bottom of a large dutch oven or stock pot liberally with olive oil. Heat until shimmering. Starting with the bone-in meat, sear the lamb on all sides, about 1.5 to 2 minutes per side. You should be removing the meat to a large container. Use a pair of tongs to manipulate the meat, and before removing the last piece in a batch, run the piece of meat around the bottom of the pot to loosen brown bits.

When you've finished searing the meat, cover tightly with foil and place the container in a warm oven.

Add the carrots, onions, garlic, and several sprigs of rosemary/thyme to the pot and heat medium until a golden brown. Use a wooden spoon to stir, loosening bits on the bottom and sides of the pan.

Pour half your bottle of wine into a large sauce pan and heat to reduce by about half. Add the reduced wine to the main cooking vessel. Add chicken broth, beef broth, more rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper to the mix. Bring to a boil and simmer for about ten minutes. Add the rest of your wine, a couple of tbsp of butter, and a splash of brandy.

Now, add the meat slowly and stir. Bring back to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook about 2 hrs.

After 2 hrs, get an overproof container of some kind and remove the meat. Place meat back into oven, uncovered (this will allow some more of the lamb fat to render out).

Add tomatoes to your main pan and bring back up to a boil. Simmer about 20 minutes to reduce sauce (now would be a good time to start in on those potatoes- I use baby Yukon Golds or reds, they come in a perfect size package at my supermarket- but I digress :) )

After you have reduced the sauce, add the meat back into the stew and serve over a bed of smashed potatoes or a nice polenta.

I usually don't include a separate vegetable but will ocassionally make a side plate of roasted or steamed asparagus tips with this.

Enjoy!