close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ladder stands?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Roger C, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Roger C

Roger C

So who here uses a ladder stand (vs. a climber)? How much trouble are they to put up and take down? I like the idea of being able to hook up on a tree that may not necessarily be "climb-able" (cross branches), but I've never used a ladder stand, and thought they might be more hassle than they are worth. Anybody using one you would reccomend? Thinking ahead to this Fall... ;)

2. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht

I have some ladder stands on my property. I only move them during the off season though. I would never use one to replace a climber. They are too heavy to move around for every hunt. I think mine are made by Rivers Edge.

3. buckfever34

buckfever34

Roger C, ladder stands are an excellent means of deer hunting if you plan on staying in one place the entire deer season. Ladder stands are not that hard to put up or take down; however, I would recommend a buddy accompanying you to do this task just to be safe. Once a ladder stand is attached securely to a tree it is MUCH safer than a climber. One other factor is if you hunt on public or private land. The fact that you have to leave a ladder stand in the woods overnight makes is susceptibe to being stolen (I know from experience). A couple years ago I bought a 16' double ladder stand which is big enough for two adults because my girlfriend wanted to get into hunting. This is an excellent option for the individual that wants to take his or her kids or wants a buddy to, perhaps, film a hunt. I hope I have been some help. Clint

4. Roger C

Roger C

5. Ragsbo

Ragsbo

I use ladder stands alot. They at especially nice for novice hunters (kids. But I hunt on my own property. I have used cable and lock to secure a stand before. You do not move them around much, they are more of the place and stay. But you can buy a couple and place them in different locations and hunt as the wind/season dictate. One warning, the first stand I bought has a fixed seat. It fits okay when the weather is warm, but when I get suited up for cold weather, it is to narrow between the arm rest and cramp me up. In fact the personal parts go to sleep. SO if you are a decent size human being, be sure to get one that fits. They can be very comfortable, sturdy, and safe. And I like the shooting rail for steady shots.

6. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

All I use are ladder stands... I don't hunt any public lands however, nor do I move them around a lot.

I do find them VERY easy to take down & put up… it’s pretty much a ladder after all! :)

FYI, you can get “packable” ladder stands… I have one that is lighter then most “climbers” & is also narrower then most “climbers” once slung on your back, which can be nice while trying to navigate through the woods to your spot. Setup time is just a little bit more then a “climber” in my experiences.

7. Roger C

Roger C

Which one?

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

9. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Good question... I purchased it YEARS ago & now I can't seem to find its like anywhere... I've looked at both Cabela's & at Bass Pro Shop's www sight with no luck.

I’ll have to see if there is a name &/or name of manufacture on the stand itself. (Maybe packable ladder stands ended up being a flop?)

The ladder stand I'm talking about is made of mostly aluminum & has 3 inch’ish DIA tubing for the main vertical side rails. It is a VERY basic ladder stand with only a seat & a separate folding footrest… it does have a stabilizer bar though.