My first attempt was a total failure with reading all over the charts. I packed up and headed home assuming it was of course operator error (me). A call to the LabRadar folks put me in touch with Richard. After a few questions to make sure I had the settings correct (I did) he asked what distance the target was at (pistol). When I said 7 yards he said that was my problem. Tip #1: you need a minimum distance to target of 15 yards. He said 25 was even better. Tip #2: low power setting out to 50 yards. Tip #3: in setting you have the choice of choosing between 5 yardages. Just remember to make all greater than the prior with the max obviously at the distance your target is at. Tip #4: the pistol muzzle has a generous area to position it within. Ok to be 6-12" to the side of the unit and even 3-4" behind or in front. So today I went back to the range and used the 25' bay. Set up is relatively easy. I tested 24 different strings firing over 225 rounds with 100% success! I love this chronograph. Temp was about 70* and cloudy. I'll post some of the data as soon as I download it. Most of the rounds were 10mm with some surprising data. Best of all my regular tripod worked perfectly without extending the legs. Photobucket is having issues so I will post a pic later.