Lab training

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by nighteye, Jul 23, 2007.

1. nighteye

nighteye

Hey guys,
    so i have a 1 1/2 year old lab. She is trained to do the basic commands, but I did not know I was going to get into bird huning as much as I am now when I got her at 6 months old. Is it too late to train her for the different kinds of retrievals in the field? What should I do since she is older as opposed to being a puppy? Any info would be great...thx!

2. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

I'm sure you know that saying... "You can't teach an old dog new trick" That saying is so wrong. You can teach/train any dog at any age. I've worked with older dogs in the past and got them up to speed.

I would recommend you find a trainer in your area that specializes in what you are looking for. It is never to late to train! :thumbsup:

Good luck!

3. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Any time you want to get into any type of advanced training, you need to make sure that you have a very strong foundation in the basics. Does she heal everytime without question? How is her recall? Does she come EVERYTIME? What about her sit/down stay? If you can confindently answer yes to those questions then rock on man. You can teach any dog to do what ever you want to as long as you have a rock solid foundation. As a matter of fact, her being out of the puppy stage will probably work to your advantage. It will be easier for her to focus. Check to see if there are any clubs in your area. Also, read read and read some more. There are some pretty good books on the subject out there. Get two or three and read them back to back before you take her out. Figure out what methods will work for you and your dogs personality. Last but not least, have fun with it. Remember that you are both learning something new. Good luck!

4. nighteye

nighteye

thanks for the responses guys....i think patience is the key to being successful and I need to learn more of that...so we shall see what happens..!!

5. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

With that additude you will have nothing but success with your dog. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep us updated and if you have any questions, feel free to post in the "ask a trainer thread" at the top of the page. Mike (G20) is an awesome trainer and can help you with just about everything.