LA County deputies to avoid chasing armed suspects

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Cole125, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Thought you guys might get a laugh out of this!

Link to article

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Sheriff's deputies in Los Angeles County are being directed to avoid chasing armed suspects under a new policy to reduce deputy shootings.

The new guidelines to be unveiled Wednesday mandate that deputies try to contain a suspect then call for back up.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore says he believes the policy is the first of its kind in the nation. The change comes after Sheriff Lee Baca ordered a review of policies in the wake of a flurry of shootings by deputies.

A county agency and several training officers made the recommendation in a new guide called Split-second Decision. Further details of the report will be released at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

2. blueiron

blueiron

Lee Baca - in the pantheon of tools, he is Snap-On quality.

3. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Seriously...

Is one of the prerequisites for command to have an IQ of less than 50?

Illustration: we can't seize weapons observed in plain view anymore.... 'cause that could be dangerous.

4. blueiron

blueiron

[​IMG]

We resent the implication!

Lee Baca is far more stupid than can be measured.

5. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

This is a natural outcome of the policies that prohibit chasing fleeing vehicles.

Technically, it should work. If we stop going after bad guys, we will be in less violent encounters. But that doesn't make it any less wrong - since it is out job to go after bad guys.

6. lawman_77008

lawman_77008 JBT

Tagged for later reference

7. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

REALLY REALLY WISH that LA would just implode in on itself.

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Baca is a complete idoit. Stop chasing bad guys, "not safe". Its our ****ing job to chase bad guys! Next thing you know, no more LAPD cops carrying guns because its "not safe". :rofl: :faint:

9. Morris

Morris CLM

How long before rang and file finally vote no confidence in him?

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I could understand if they were saying don't rush head long down dark alley's chasing a BG that might be setting up to ambush you.

But a policy of don't chase BG's is bad business. now an officer has to worry if he pursues a BG he might be disciplined for doing so?

They should have addressed this as a training issue and not a policy issue.

11. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Maybe Blaca could have his men heard the bad guys into L.A. City! At least LAPD still chases them. Sometimes they slightly over react when they catch them but at least they are still proactive.

Yes, I believe it is the first of it's kind in the nation. They are FIRST NOT to pursue bad guys. All they need is a pencil and paper and just take reports. :faint:

12. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

well, all BG's now will be armed and will show it to you, so they can get a free escape...

DUMBASSSSSSSSS

13. Sgt127

Sgt127

I can't find it anymore, better luck to others, but, there was a very learned university fellow a few years ago that believed that the role of the Police was to be a statistical arm of the Government. Everything else we did endangered more people than it saved. If we drove fast to a crime in progress, we endangered too many people, if we arrived at an in progress call, it might become a hostage call, if we arrived while the suspect was still there, we might have to fight him or shoot him, again, endangering him and others. If we chased bad guys in a car, we endangered everybody. If we chased him on foot, we endangered the suspect and ourselves. It was pretty amazing.

The idea was that we simply got all the information of a crime, send it to very highly skilled detectives, they would get a warrant and, then rationally and carefully, they would simply arrest the bad guy without anyone getting hurt, including the bad guy. It would be a good thing. Cops wouldn't get hurt, bad guys (I'm sure even more important than the Cops) wouldn't get hurt. It was a win-win.

I kinda giggled a little at it, but, I see its actually taking hold in some places, hell, most places. Incrementally more restrictive policies regarding pursuits, use of force, etc. We are headed down that road. Waiting for the pendulum to swing the other way here pretty soon...hopefully before I retire, but, I ain't betting on that. I think its swung so far to the left that it got stuck there...

14. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

" Cops wouldn't get hurt, bad guys (I'm sure even more important than the Cops) wouldn't get hurt. It was a win-win"

Yea, no one gets hurt EXCEPT the victim!! I hate these "very learned university fellows" that have zero experience and everyone listens too!!! They should all be pepper sprayed.

15. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

WTF? I'm so confused... If the law caps a thug, doesn't the crime rate go down? Shouldn't that be considered a good thing? Did PETA put them on the endangered species list or something?

"Yous shootin too many Bloods n Crips dar O'Mally. Yous needs to stop chasin dem dar youts. Yous could get hoit. Sides, I needa justify my jab dar."

16. 9L82

9L82 Caffeine Addled

This....

poor leadership and supervision results in overreaching policies that stop good police work. If there is a common trait that is occurring during these shootings that can be attributed to officer behavior, train and fix it. The answer isn't to ban it..that is weak leadership.

17. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Sounds LA is ready for another round of de-policing. That should do wonders for the crime rate :upeyes:

18. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

Lame. I'm going to stop driving and trying to look for crime out the window at the same time. Somebody could get hurt doing that.

19. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Absolutely unbelievable.

20. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Really? In Los Angeles? What would make it less unbelieveable? LOL