L.A. Times: Democrats are missing an opportunity to brand Trump as too conservative, poll suggests

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by RussP, Sep 13, 2019 at 9:24 PM.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Democrats are missing an opportunity to brand Trump as too conservative, poll suggests

SEP. 13, 2019

7:52 AM
    WASHINGTON —

In his 2016 campaign, President Trump ran as a relative moderate among Republicans -- opposing cuts to Social Security and Medicare, talking up federal efforts to rebuild the nation’s roads and bridges, staying away from culture war issues such as same-sex marriage.

But in office, Trump has aligned himself firmly with his party’s right wing. His acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, was a leading tea party member of Congress, one of numerous top officials who would have been deemed too conservative for past Republican administrations. Trump has pursued efforts to repeal and undermine the Affordable Care Act, toed the National Rifle Assn. line on guns and reversed a host of environmental rules, some of which were first adopted under the George H.W. and George W. Bush administrations.

And, yet, the evidence suggests that the public still sees Trump as the relative moderate of his campaign, not the hard conservative of his government. That points up a failure of his Democratic opponents and a dilemma for whichever of them wins the 2020 nomination.

CHAOS DROWNS OUT POLICY

The latest evidence on how voters view Trump comes from this week’s USC Dornsife/L.A. Times poll, which asked a large sample of adult citizens to rate themselves, the leading Democratic candidates and the president on a 0-100 scale, with 0 as the most liberal and 100 as the most conservative.

Democratic voters rated Trump as moderately conservative, at 66. Independents rated Trump as even closer to the center, at 60, pretty near the 53 average they gave themselves. For comparison, those independent voters rated Joe Biden at 43. In effect, their ratings indicate that they see Trump as only slightly further to the right of center than Biden is to the left.

Republicans, by contrast, view themselves as quite conservative and see Trump as one of their own. They rated themselves, on average, at 75 and Trump at 74.​
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    More at the link in the title...

2. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

The same media portrays extreme liberal wack-jobs as "Main Stream"

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

well as long as he keeps appointing conservative judges. i think he will rewrite the books on being a conservative Republican President.

4. mj9mm

mj9mm

well as long as he keeps appointing conservative judges. i think he will rewrite the books on being a conservative Republican President.

mike from st pe and B C like this.
  5. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

Trump, too conservative? Um, no.

Atomic Punk, robhic and pgg00 like this.
  6. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Exactly. Thank god.

Trump does what Trump thinks is right. Agree or disagree he does what he thinks is the right decision. Every once in a while his advisors will convince him to take this or that position for political reasons... and it’s so obvious when he does. But the thing that makes Trump great is the fact that 90% of the time he takes a stand according to what he thinks is right... not what he thinks is politically popularly.

That is exactly what this country needed.

I may not agree with his positions ALL the time. But by taking a “right” over “politics” approach he has already done far more for the country than any president in the modern era.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 12:11 PM
    Mtnfolk75 likes this.
  7. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

100% why I liked and voted for him. And will, again. He's NOT a politician. He's a successful businessman and he brings years of business acumen to his job. A scumbag vote-seeking politician is like a weathervane - pointing in the direction that serves him best. Trump just goes with his gut, hell with what the nay-sayers are whining about and he goes for it. I'd like to think he consults with experts to help make his choice(s) but how many times has he been said to be wrong or stupid or other? Then, after a while, he is shown to be right.

TheDreadnought likes this.