Kyotop Ceramic Knives

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by eisman, Apr 30, 2005.

1. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Anybody using ceramic knives? I'm considering buying some. A little spendy, but not much more than what's in my drawer right now.

Pros and cons?

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I have no first hand knowledge, but from what I gather...

Pros are that they're real sharp, but my knives get sharp enough...
    Another Pro is that they're often gorgeous...

[​IMG]

Cons supposedly are that if you drop them they could break, and you can't sharpen them at home;
    you have to send them off...

A big con is their expense...
    Being that my high-carbon steel knives do the job just fine...

I was thinking of getting a paring knife or something just to get a taste...

Supposedly the insanely sharp edge lasts YEARS tho, which is cool...
    And the ceramic is so hard it's close to diamond-hard...

Being so thin is my imagined concern... ???

[​IMG]

;c

3. EUPHER49

EUPHER49

Carbon steel, whether it stains or not is my fave. I've made quite a few of my own knives out of O-1 steel and they are quite durable and sharp. I've heard about the ceramics but thought they would be too fragile and shatter if dropped. My knives cost me less than $10 per to make and rival the big name cutlerers in performance. Stainless knives are pretty and stay that way are OK but need to be resharpened/re-edged to often.

Ming Tao likes ceramics though...

4. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I have a 5.5 in utility knife. For cutting fruit and vegies there is nothing to compare, just keep it away from bones and large seeds like peach pits. I can cut through 6 carrots with only a fraction of the resistance that I get from any of my other steel knives. Yes, I do keep my blades very sharp. I haven't figured out a good way to store it yet, obviously my magnet bars won't work so I'm leaning to a swiveling under cabinet knife drawer. There is another ceramic/metal hybrid that is not supposed to break but still be extremly sharp edge that last as long as a ceramic, but prittier.