Kydex holsters

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by w30olds, Oct 16, 2018.

1. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

Looking to get a Kydex style holster for my 19x. Found a fella on Ebay that makes them for Glocks with the TLR6. So just wanted to ask if anyone here has and uses the Kydex style holsters. If so how do you like them??

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I hate Kydex. Only use leather. Tagua or Bianchi

3. w30olds

Why do you dislike kydex? Hard on the finish? Just curious. Not hating

Paul53 likes this.
  4. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I hate straps and find that nothing holds my CCW in place as well as leather. It also gives just enough to make it more pliable with your movement/ -IMHO

Paul53 likes this.
  5. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Most of my holsters are kydex. They work, they are light, thin, strong and durable. You can sweat all over them and simply wipe them off with a paper towel. Some are over priced so shop around.

G19 fan, Tuco 44, Dghost and 6 others like this.
  6. Hermanator

Hermanator

w30olds likes this.
  7. w30olds

Found some on ebay and amazon for around $24. So I'm considering getting one to keep my 19 and 19x in. I have a fobus holster for my 30 and it's been great. Might look at those.

Deputydave likes this.
  8. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

While I've had some nice leather in the past, I feel the opposite. I have a custom curve style kydex holster for my G26 that hugs my side. No flop at all. And some IWB that are thin yet strong and comfortable. Plus any dirt,sweat or whatever has no effect on them like what could possibly effect leather. And you get a positive 'click' with kydex when holstering the weapon. Some kydex has adjustable tension as well.

9. First shot

First shot

Kydex works...and so does leather... I look at it as safety, access and comfort... I've never been able to be sure of all three until I've worn it a lot... Some of the leather/kydex combos are good.. Hard to do sometimes without the "drawer full of holsters". Good luck..

w30olds likes this.
  10. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

Rule #1

Cheap holsters are cheap for a reason. Once you use them for a while, you’ll realize why they were cheap.

I am very pleased with my new kydex rig for my G17 RMR Olight PL-Mini with suppressor height sights. It fits great.

I used MIE Productions.
    https://www.mieproductions.com/

They made it to my specifications, took less than two weeks, for about $60. I also have a cheaper one, broke rule #1, it is a piece of junk.

Bwillis and w30olds like this.
  11. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I’ve been a leather holster fan in the past but am moving toward kydex. They are less expensive and they work. I don’t mind a little holster wear and I think you will get less with kydex. With kydex the retention generally is at the trigger guard, the gun snaps into place. This retention is usually adjustable. I said kydex is less expensive but don’t go with an overly cheap one. I have had good results with Tulster and Vedder.

w30olds likes this.
  12. Lt1352

Lt1352

I have had great luck with JM Custom Kydex for belt holsters and Vedder for a pocket holster. I love a handmade leather holster, and has some that are absolutely works of art, but for an everyday holster, kydex is perfect.

w30olds likes this.
  13. Out West

Out West Just lack finishing up

For me it's kydex for IWB - less bulk, better adjustment for comfortable carry (depending on holster maker) and sweat proof. I use Vedder Light Tuck mostly.

Leather for OWB.

14. -Ronin-

-Ronin-

I got the pro draw from Vedder for my 19X and really like it. My 19 gene works in it also. I prefer Kydex

w30olds likes this.
  15. nmglock

nmglock

Always liked leather but Kydex is the way to go. They are light, strong and nothing seems to bother them. Buy a good one and it will last forever.

16. glocker1

glocker1

VERY happy with my Tulster Profile...

17. SouthVA

SouthVA

You didn’t mention whether it’s for IWB or OWB, but to echo Out West, I prefer at least a hybrid Kydex/leather in part due to some leather holsters will collapse over time.

OWB, it doesn’t matter so much. I prefer leather, but have both.

My favorite IWB hybrid is a CompTac Minotaur, but I also have a CompTac Infidel, which is all Kydex. Their stuff costs a bit more, but seem to hold up really well.

Glad you’re giving the holster serious thought. It’s a key component in the system.

And don’t forget a proper belt, if you don’’t already have one.

w30olds and First shot like this.
  18. jdnewhouse

jdnewhouse

I have had custom Kydex holsters made from 5-6 different companies. I've had fitment problems, customer service problems, timeliness problems (12+ weeks in one case) so do your research before you go with someone.

I stumbled upon Huckleberry Tactical (https://www.huckleberrytactical.com/) recently and so far it's been amazing. I've had him do 3 holsters for me and am about to order a 4th. Turn around time has been amazing (a week or less on average), fair prices, great customer service, outstanding fitment.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I have had a very positive experience with him so take it for what it's worth.

Here are some photos of a OWB holster from Huckleberry for my G19X with TLR-8. It's Kydex and I believe it was called Carbon Fiber Coyote.

Attached Files:

w30olds likes this.
  19. bcj128

bcj128

I use kydex a lot, usually for IWB and have one from Tactical Measure for my 19 and 19x - it’s excellent. For OWB I also use kydex - but leather still has that classic look.

https://tacticalmeasure.com

Anomander and w30olds like this.
  20. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

I love kydex / polymer holsters. Nothing wrong with leather, I own quite a few custom leather holsters as well but over the last few years I've switched over to Kydex / polymer holsters exclusively. Why the switch? It happened quite by accident. One day I was shopping at Cabelas and I found a sweet deal on a Galco Triton holster for a G19. Up to that point I've been using a Milt Sparks VMII as my IWB. My reasoning for the kydex holster was that whenever I had to transition from carry to non carry - and back to carry again it was difficult to put on my VMII. This kydex holster would slip right inside my waistband and that would be that. If I had to run out to the store to pick up whatever my wife needed, I could slip that kydex on in seconds and be out the door. Boom. Justification complete. I bought it. I was expecting it to be uncomfortable and I was also expecting that it would not stay in place. I was wrong on both counts. I started carrying my kydex holster more and more and the VM less and less. I now carry in a variety of OWB / IWB holsters made from Kydex or polymers. I still love leather but I don't miss the squeakiness or the thickness. My current favorites are:

IWB Gunfighters Inc Wraith https://gunfightersinc.com/wraith-iwb/

OWB Gunfighters Inc Ronin
    https://gunfightersinc.com/ronin-owb/

Safariland 737x ALS
    http://www.safariland.com/products/...ealment-belt-slide-holster-34850.html#start=1

I still use leather once in a while but 99.9% of the time, it's Kydex / Polymer for me.

Lawdog3 and w30olds like this.