close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ky-Tac still around?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by dogcaller, Jul 9, 2011.

1. dogcaller

dogcaller

I love the Ky-tac Braveheart and want to buy another one. Their website has always sucked but now half the links are bad and I can't get a return email (He never was the chop-chop customer service first type). Anyone know if he's still around?

Thanks!

2. dosei

dosei

The last few I purchased were bought through firearmsprostore.com. At the time (last year) they were a stocking dealer of the KyTac Braveheart (best holster period...IMHO). But they, like everyone else that tried to carry KyTac gear, have since decided that it just isn't worth the trouble. The "new" KyTac website has remained unchanged (and incomplete) for several years now.

http://www.kytac.net

Good luck finding any. I have yet to find any holster that is better (or even equal) to the Braveheart...and I've tried many.

Speedrock likes this.

3. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Looks like one could be DIY'd with a sheet of kydex, heat gun and some hardware. Worth a shot anyway if you really like that design.

4. dosei

dosei

5. dosei

dosei

...and a VM2 could be DIY'd with a piece of leather, a pair of kitchen shears, and some twine...

Your mindset is the problem with the vast majority of kydex holsters being made today...which is why finding a holster that is even a tolerable substitute for the Braveheart is so dang difficult for those of use that have used them. I'd take a Braveheart over a VM2...it's THAT good of a holster, IMHO. But alas, artisan level craftsmanship in a kydex holster is something that as best as I can tell is dead & gone. My next holster will most likely be leather, providing there are still some good ones being made when I need to get another. (At the moment, Rocky at Pure Kustom is a strong contender for my money when I finally have to get another holster. Hopefully Rocky will still be in business and still putting out the caliber craftsmanship he currently is. I have yet to find any kydex holster maker that has the same attention to detail as David Elderton at KyTac or the small handful of leather holster artisans.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

That's a shame; I have a Braveheart for a 4" 1911 and one of his mag pouches.

As has been previously stated in this thread his designs and workmanship were the best I have seen in Kydex.

Speedrock likes this.
  7. BailRecoveryAgent

Unwad your panties, my suggestion was to try making one if you couldn't find a replacement. Sheesh

8. dosei

dosei

dogcaller,
    If you are finally able to get through to David, please post back here to let us know what you learn.

Thanks!

9. saddlebum

saddlebum

he is still in business ,but probably the worst businessman in the history of the world. he makes a great holster ,but doesn't respond to customers well and quotes lead times he regularly misses by months.
    he answers his phone when he wants ,he builds holsters when he feels like it and he takes your money up front.

10. saddlebum

saddlebum

one more thing you might try heartland outdoors in edmond oklahoma, he hangs out there

11. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Anybody have a photo of one?

12. JD HHI 6092

JD HHI 6092

That is putting it mildly. I ordered a holster from him that he said he had in stock. I paid and waited a few months to get it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  13. BailRecoveryAgent

[​IMG]

Speedrock likes this.
  14. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

15. dkf

dkf

Like the design of the holster. Wouldn't mind having one for my Glocks.

16. dogcaller

dogcaller

Thanks for the contact info. I'll call and see what info I can get. He has not responded to email.

17. K1500

K1500

It looks like a Comp-Tac infidel with shirt tucker strut would be a close substitute. Custom made, high quality, and super customer service.

18. dosei

dosei

...and less comfortable. I've also tried the Phantom from Raven Concealment with the same results, a less comfortable IWB rig than the Braveheart.

I've tried several, and nothing else has ever matched the Braveheart for comfort/concealment/function. In my book the Braveheart rates an A+ for concealment & function, and an A for comfort. The Comp-Tac and RC Phantom (when carried IWB) get a C on comfort. (When carried OWB, the RC Phantom is a solid A on comfort.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  19. dogcaller

dogcaller

I thought the same thing once. In fact, I figured I'd give the then-new Infidel a trial considering that it was so similar (blatant rip-off?), and because Comp-Tac has great cust. svc. So I ordered one, tried it, and sent it back. Wasn't even close. Really. So we suffer with the customer service issue. I called his number today and left a VM message.

The hard part is the holster I'm trying to order is for my brother, who finally came around to going IWB. But now I've got to tell him to send his money and wait for--how long?

20. dogcaller

dogcaller

That'd be a bit of a drive for me... :whistling: