KY Resident with FL Non-Resident CCW

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BMWMD, Feb 7, 2010.

1. BMWMD

BMWMD

I recently moved to KY from IL and have an active Florida CCW permit. The local Sheriff's department told me that it was illegal for me to carry concealed with the Florida permit and it was invalid in the state of KY. According to State statutes KY honors FL non-resident permits. I explained this to the officer and he still told me it was illegal. I called the Kentucky State Police and they stated that he was wrong. Kentucky does honor non-resident FL permits regardless of residency status in KY. What is the problem? Obviously not everyone knows the laws.

The officer did state I could open carry without a permit and it be legal. I thought that was interesting.

2. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

What county are you in?

And yes, it's legal for you to carry on a Florida permit here in the state. Once you attain residency, make sure you get your KY permit. Also, open carry is perfectly legal here.

3. kensteele

kensteele

Is it legal for a KY resident to carry in KY with a non-KY permit? For the most part, it's either a yes or no.

Don't get confused by some of the other thread you read here, please investigate the law for yourself or consult a lawyer. A lot depends on what DL you have, what is your legal residence and for how long, what's the address on your FL, etc.

If you are transitioning, s/b ok.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  4. BMWMD

BMWMD

Fulton. I meet the residency requirements, now waiting on a class. The KY State Police said I can still carry the FL non-resident and carry concealed legally.

5. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Fulton...way out west, aren't you?

You might want to talk with the sheriff, or one of the admin type folks in that office. Being a rural county, there's likely not that many deputies on the department. I'm sure the sheriff would be friendly enough, if you approached him the right way. If you check www.kentuckystatepolice.org , you can print out the relevant laws about CCDW in Kentucky. Perhaps you should try and schedule a nice meeting with the sheriff, or one of the chief deputies, about the issue.

That's about all I can suggest. If the above fails, and you still get hassled, there's always the lawyer to fall back on. I would hope that things wouldn't come to that, though.