close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kubuntu trouble

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hauptmann6, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Ok I installed it and it worked. I changed the resolution then my password would not work to get into the GUI but I could log in command line(not that it did me much good)

So I reinstalled. now I can't see the screen at all it all garbled.

2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

ok reinstalled again and fixed that... now can't seem to get it to hit the dhcp server... uhg...

This is bloody annoying. For being modeled on OSX it doesn't seem to work like it.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

First SimplyMepis 6.0 is the "easy" version of Kubuntu.Now for networking.I have had that problem with certain network cards.Most likely just needs some settings.Look under "Applications" or "System" for "Terminal" or "Xterm".Click that to open a commandline terminal.Type "su" press "Enter" key,it will ask for your root password.Type your root password,press "Enter" key.Now type "netcardconfig",this should ask you how you want to configure your network.Choose "dhcp",computer name "linux",Domain name "linux.org" and choose "dhcp".Press "Enter" key it may ask you to comfirm the settings.Then press "Enter" again.Some Linux's this commans is networkconfig" but I think only slackware still uses that one.I think SimplyMepis will try to set up dhcp and I think SimplyMepis might have a graphical network set up tool.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu work alright with most of my hardware but I've had even better luck with Xubuntu.This have been slower than expected but on a fast PC they run alright.With any of the Ubuntu's,make sure you get the bug fixed 6.08.1 release and not the 6.06 version.I'm not sure all servers are up to date or from where you got yours.

Right the latest release of PCLinuxOS is the best thing in Linux I've found so far.It's much faster than earlier versions and like PCLinuxOS,everything works.It doesn't really have any server software but it's the best desktop system I've seen.

ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/pclinuxos-p93a-bigdaddy.iso

5. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

thanks... I will play with it after I get back from vacation

6. 44>hunter

44>hunter

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I personally couldn't get Ubuntu 6 or Kubuntu to boot on my machine. It would start, desktop would show very briefly, then my monitor would go to "Mode not supported" and that was it(note, Ubuntu wasn't saying this, my monitor was). I couldn't ever get it to work. It migth have been my ATI card(although Ive gotten it to work with Ubuntu before).

I'm still finding Fedora Core 5 or Xandros to be the easiest to install and run. I had a lot of problems with the downloaded "Free" version of Xandros. The version I bought however, is perfect. Fedora is basically a free version of Redhat.

There's a new Linux that has only been out a month or so, called Zenwalk.

http://www.zenwalk.org

IGF

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Zenwalk has been around a while.It used to be called MiniSlack.It's fast because it's based on Slackware and uses the fairly lightweight desktop Xfce.It's main design feature is it doesn't have any duplicate programs.One program for each task.Instead of 3 browsers,2 word processors,etc.I used it for a while until one of the updates wasn't compatible with my hardware.That was an older version though.

Slackware based Linux's normally will run faster.Slackware has the older Linux structure that is closer to BSD.

If you have trouble with Ubuntu/Kubuntu,try Xubuntu.Mepis is an "upgraded" Ubuntu but has KDE so I guess it's closer to Kubuntu.

SabayonLinux is based on Gentoo.Gentoo is normally more difficult to install.SabayonLinux makes it easier.It's a good one.It's still being developed and requires some fairly fast up to date hardware.Once installed you have a really nice Gentoo system.You can download the live install CD here,(might be a slow download)

http://www.amdplanet.com/listing/Sa...tion/SabayonLinux-x86-3.0RC2e.miniEdition.iso

Blag Linux is an enhanced Fedora on one CD.It's interesting.

Install CD here,

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/50000/en/iso/BLAG-50001.iso

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I thought I had read it was "based on" Slackware, not a an old version of Slackware.. ;). Thanks for the info...

He's got pics of it running a KDE environment also... is this part of the standard download, or something users have done on their own?

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?com_mode=thread&com_order=1&id=10

IGF

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.