close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KS House passes sweeping gun bill.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Whiskey Six, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

http://cjonline.com/news/legislature/2010-03-24/house_oks_gun_bill

House OKs gun bill
    | EMAIL | PRINT | COMMENT | SHARE
    By Barbara Hollingsworth
    Created March 24, 2010 at 3:38pm
    Updated March 24, 2010 at 3:49pm

The House on Wednesday gave final approval to a bill that would throw open the door to Kansans who want to carry concealed weapons in many buildings currently off limits.

The House voted 65-57 in support of a bill that would allow the carrying of concealed weapons in municipal and state agency buildings unless the facility has enough security measures in place to ensure no weapons are permitted in the building. The bill would exclude school districts and would require that the carrier have a conceal carry permit.

"This is a matter of trust," said Rep. Forrest Knox, R-Altoona. "Do you trust law-abiding citizens?"

The Legislation was supported by the National Rifle Association but opposed by groups including the Kansas Board of Regents and the Kansas Peace Officers Association. The Kansas Association of Counties estimated that securing entrances would cost $2,500 per entrance for equipment plus ongoing costs to pay for staffing.

The state's 2006 conceal-and-carry act allows signs to be posted on buildings, including government buildings, restricting the concealed carrying of firearms.

Rep. Annie Kuether, D-Topeka, noted opposition from law enforcement groups and the cost of securing buildings. Several noted that the Capitol wouldn't be considered secure under the bill.

"I for one am not comfortable with thinking that people are going to be coming into this building with guns, especially considering what's going on in the nation with hot tempers," she said.

Knox said posting a no-guns sign on buildings makes them less secure.

"I maintain to you if we can't provide the security in a public building then we should not deny our citizens the right we have given them in law to provide for their own security," he said.

The bill (HB 2685) now moves to the Senate.

Topeka representatives voting yes were Republicans Mike Burgess, Lana Gordon and Joe Patton. Voting no were Democrats Sean Gatewood, Annie Kuether, Harold Lane, Ann Mah and Annie Tietze.

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Logic fail. What's stopping them now?

3. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

It's certainly a step in the right direction for Kansas concealed carry residents. It doesn't make any sense for a state to issue concealed carry permits to residents and then deny them the right to carry in a state building. I wonder why the Kansas Peace Officers Association opposed the measure. How many LEO's have been shot by people with CC permits? That's kinda what I thought. :upeyes:

4. RioKid

RioKid

Good so far and I hope it clears the senate. Will the governor sign off on it?

5. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Did I understand correctly?

It seems, according to the article.....that they have never bothered to have "security" at the entrances, but now that law abiding folks are being "allowed" to defend themselves, they worry over the cost of putting it in?

Why didn't they have it before if there is such a need? Everyone who may be a criminal and wanted to enter the buildings has been able to do so, so far. So now that noncriminals are allowed to be armed, they suddenly have to have it?

Someone's being scammed for sure.

Wonder who?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Everybody that pays taxes in Kansas ?

7. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

While I appreciate his sentiment, he errors in believing that rights are given in the law. No, sir. Rights are given by God and protected by the law.