close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Korean BBQ short ribs

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Santa CruZin, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

I have a specialty, and it's Korean BBQ pork ribs. Saturday night I cooked up 6 pounds, and our three guests and I stripped every one of them clean in 10 minutes. I made an oriental bock choy salad and rice for my vegetarian wife, but that's another story...

Rib recipe for three pounds:

- 3 pounds short ribs, cross-cut very thin (1/2" is way too thick - I prefer 1/4" to 3/8" max). Get the butcher to wipe off the bone dust from the saw, and to seperate the pieces with butcher paper.

- 3/4 cup Sake

- 1 1/2 cup Soy (I use Tamari)

- 7 minced garlic gloves (I use a food processor)

- 4 shallots (scallions) cut wafer thin

- 3 tablespoons shredded ginger

- 1/2 cup granulated sugar

- 1/4 cup honey (I use Virginia honey - ain't no other...)

- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper

- 6 tablespoons roasted seseme seeds (I'm adding this a day late - I forgot it in my original post)

Mix up all the ingredients (exept the ribs), and warm up to help dissolve the sugar and honey. Marinate the ribs in this stuff for two hours.

Grill. As soon as you place a piece, lift it and drop it again to get that liquid barrier that'll keep the meat from sticking to the grill. Cover the grill with meat and place the lid on. Be careful, the sugar can flare fast and cause a helluva grill fire. I start off with a lower temp, and the thin meat cooks through quickly. I try to only turn the meat once, and cycle the meat through the hot spots on the grill. Then I crank up the temp to sear the marinade, but this can only go on for a few moments because the grill turns into a raging inferno. The total time on the grill is around 5 minutes. The end result should be dark, caramelized ribs, but not burned to a crisp.

So far I've had two full-blooded Korean friends tell me these are the best Korean short ribs they've ever had.

;c

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Korean BBQ short ribs (Galbi) are one of my favorite things!!
    Good job! and thanks for the recipe!

;c

3. noway

noway

Good receipe and a very good meal to eat when I was in Korea. If you want something outside of pork try deungshim. This is a seasme seed oil marinate sirloin. Very good and when eaten with all of the trimings is very nice.

4. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

WHOOPS!!!!

Noway, you just reminded me about the SESEME SEEDS!!!

You gotta roast about 6 tablespoons of seseme seeds in the broiler until they're lightly browned (easy to burn the little suckers, so pay attention), and add 'em to the marinade. Let them cool a little before you put them in the marinade, or they'll immediately fry off the alcohol in the sake. You want the marinade fully intact when it hits the grill.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Do you have a recipie? ;)

6. noway

noway

Sorry never attempted to make it the Korean way. I normaly go to the Korean restraunt here in FL or if Im ever in Cali, any of the places around Little Saigon and Garden grove have good places to eat it.

It is more expensive than Tegi kabi or Bulkoi but I personaly think it is one of their better meals. Go online and google it and I'm sure you can find a few receipes. Just make sure you get a good table top BBQ gril.

Korean BBQ is great. In all of the places that I've eaten this food in Korean and watching the buckets of charcoal dump on your table grill and spread around, the whole thing is entertaining.