close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kony 2012

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Luminary, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Luminary

Luminary

Spread the word. This video really hit me hard, especially the part where Jacob talks about his brother since I have 2 brothers of my own.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc"]KONY 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

SPREAD THE WORD

2. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

I was just about to post about this..

I was hoping someone here knew some of the real details.

I'm very skeptical of it all, and could swear I've seen part of the of the footage years and years ago..

3. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

4. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Either there are a lot more people doing this to kids in Africa than Joseph Kony, or he's much more famous than they lead on. I've been hearing about children being forced to fight in Africa my whole life. I doubt taking him down would change anything.

That said, he's an evil man and I hope they get him.

5. Andy W

Andy W

Yeah, he's a pretty bad guy. Not only does his organization, The Lord's Resistence Army,which claims to be Christian BTW, kidnap children and force the to fight, they've also been known to terrorize and mutilate entire villages of people. Their goal is supposedly to create a theocracy based on the 10 commandments in the East-Central Africa area. However, I think they are just a bunch of crazy SOBs that like to go around killing people. This guy is one evil mfer. I first heard about him a couple of weeks ago in my Global Security Threats class. Up until this year, the only people who really knew about him were select government officials and people who study International Relations. His name needs to get out there. Hopefully more resources can be devoted to finding and killing him.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  6. Andy W

Andy W

There's nothing to be skeptical about. It's real. I haven't watched the video yet but I have a pretty good idea what's going to be in it.

7. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I have a close friend who is in Uganda with Army Africa. He has told me for a couple of years about the LRA.

It is simply impossible to relate many of the horror stories that he has without offending both the terms of service here, and common decency anywhere.

8. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I heard some people talking about this yesterday. I searched GT to see if there was a thread, and voila... there is.

I'll have to check out the video later b/c I have to leave for work in about 10 minutes.

9. geofri

Been hearing about this in Sunday School since I was a little tyke. I suspect is a lot more widespread. I haven't spent time looking into it though.

No No, I think I wasn't clear.

Absolutely no doubt concerning abducted children, and forcing them to commit all sorts of unspeakable acts.

What I'm concerned about is this organization, and their tactics. Its seems like a terribly inefficient and "make a difference in the world" feel better kinda thing..
    I'm just slow to accept charities as being legitimate..

I have no knowledge on harnessing publicity and raising awareness, but that video has footage spread over ~20 years and supposedly cost around a million dollars to produce.

Picking out one lone leader, in the middle of a continent that has been full of wars for as long as I've been aware, just doesn't seem like it's going to help. Won't the void just be filled by the next guy?

10. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Invisible Children certainly seem to be more than a little shady

From the little bit of research I've done, Invisible Children seem to be outdated, irresponsible and deliberately misleading.

Only about 1/3 of the money they receive actually goes to aid. The rest goes on their salaries, travel costs and or course film making. Not to mention the fact that what they're advocating doing is against what the Ugandan people actually want. Invisible Children is pushing for the removal of Kony, something which would of course require military action to be taken against him. This military action would require dealing with his forces, which are of course comprised of children. However over in northern Uganda they have been successfully operating a sort of amnesty process where LRA members can return home and face "traditional" justice rather than risk death in combat. Obviously this system is popular because the reality is the LRA members are the children of the people in this region.

If IC really wanted to help children and stop them being forced to become child soldiers, there are so many more effective ways they could be using their resources. For example, about a month ago there was an orphanage in Kenya that was being attacked and the guy protecting it was badly injured defending the kids there. So people on various websites raised some money (about $70,000 IIRC) and then put it to a more practical use by making the orphanage more secure. The money was used to build walls, for barbed wire fences and guards so that the children in the area would be safe at night. I would rather see money and effort put towards things like this or education than chasing someone who hasn't even been in Uganda since 2006, and who may even be dead.

I'm not saying Kony isn't an evil SOB who should be brought to justice, but from what I've seen so far IC seem like a bunch of hipsters who like having a ton of money to throw around and make films that are entirely funded by IC to generate "awareness" for their cause which they seem to pursue completely blind to everything else. Are we to believe the word of these guys?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  11. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

D3S3RT just saved me a lot of typing.

There's a thread on arfcom about this, also how their stats are overblown.

12. geofri

I bit my tongue and withheld calling any names, but they fit that well.

I kept waiting to see a Che t-shirt pop on somewhere in the video.

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

So why not just kill these LIA guys? Big deal.

:dunno:

14. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

While killing Kony and the leadership would be great, unfortunately it isn't that simple

The guy hasn't been in Uganda in six years. Its rumored he might even be dead. If he isn't dead, then you're talking about finding a guy hiding in central Africa across like 4-5 countries.

15. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

This whole campaign seems to have been designed to target these type of people

[​IMG]

(This is the college liberal meme for those who don't know)

I'm already seeing people like this try to put down anyone who has anything negative to say about IC.

I wonder how many millions of those little bracelet things this will sell :whistling:

16. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

When I watched it last, it had 11 million 500 thousand views or so. That was about 12 hours ago. Now it has over 32 million, wow.

I am curious to hear about whether their charity turns out to be legit and worth supporting or if other causes in Africa are more worth it.

17. PBCounty

PBCounty

Is this the video all the 20-something year old chicks have been posting on FB?

18. geofri

Most indubitably :rofl:

19. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Uganda needs to deal with this problem on it's own. I have worked around Ugandans for years and have two I would name as friends. I've heard them talk about this a great deal, while they feel that he should be stopped, I don't think that our direct intervention would be appreciated.
    The three skinny little muzungu in the picture should stick to hanging out around Kampala; Kony's people would just love to get a hold of them...

20. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Mind providing a link to the thread? Wouldn't mind reading it.