• Siberian Tiger

Votes: 17 39.5%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with my other thread, Silverback Gorilla vs. Grizzly Bear, this is the other 'Animal Fight Club' debate I ran across last night while looking up videos on woods carry calibers. So I'm posting this one for fun and consideration as well.

Full grown, adult and mean for each.

Personally, I think this would be much more of a challenge than the Gorilla vs. Bear.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about this one...

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would make this a lot tougher to call than the Gorilla thread is that in addition to the tiger going for the throat it has the rear claw rake. And that’s no joke. The question would be could that rake get through the fur, fat and muscle of the bear quick enough to do serious damage before the bear whacks the tiger.

·
Why so serious?
65,914 Posts
Tiger all the way, as long as they let Joe out to corner it.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Reactions: Haldor and tuica

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The weight and power advantage of ursus arctos gives him a big edge. It’s difficult to slash through that coat, and the amount of damage the bear can absorb is incredible. As for the gorilla, the same, but no primate - other than **** sapiens - is stupid enough to go hand to hand with a grizzly.

BTW, LSU’s Mike VII is part siberian, IIRC.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
My first thought would be the tiger in a romp, but I have seen films of a sun bear and a tiger in a tussle and the sun bear held his own. A Kodiak brown bear is in a whole different weight class than a sun bear.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,012 Posts
Along with my other thread, Silverback Gorilla vs. Grizzly Bear, this is the other 'Animal Fight Club' debate I ran across last night while looking up videos on woods carry calibers. So I'm posting this one for fun and consideration as well.

Personally, I think this would be much more of a challenge than the Gorilla vs. Bear.

A tiger is an ambush predator. The bear is an opportunistic omnivore. The first hint the bear would get would be when the tiger locked his jaws around the bear's neck. Tigers hunt water buffalos which are a large, powerful and dangerous animal.

tigerVbuffallo.jpg

Interesting article.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-buffaloes-does-it-take-to-kill-a-tiger

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A tiger is an ambush predator. The bear is an opportunistic omnivore. The first hint the bear would get would be when the tiger locked his jaws around the bear's neck. Tigers hunt water buffalos which are a large, powerful and dangerous animal.

View attachment 762346

Interesting article.

Your post reminded me of the Battle at Kruger.

Some considerations; while a water buffalo is indeed a very dangerous creature, it doesn't have the fur/fat of the bear. So while a lion or tiger can swat the legs, usually the hind in a chase, and take the buffalo completely off it's feet (often gashing the hind quarters for a disabling injury where it can no longer stand), the bear is more heavily protected. Offering at least more protection from such an attack. It really is a tough call. Like you, I believe the tiger is going to go for the neck to latch on and then rake. It depends on if it can get through the fur and fat to really inflict injuries that will fell the bear. On the other hand, the tiger isn't nearly as protected in it's hide. Can the bear swat it before the tiger latches on?

This one really is a battle of titans.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,012 Posts
Your post reminded me of the Battle at Kruger.

Some considerations; while a water buffalo is indeed a very dangerous creature, it doesn't have the fur/fat of the bear. So while a lion or tiger can swat the legs, usually the hind in a chase, and take the buffalo completely off it's feet (often gashing the hind quarters for a disabling injury where it can no longer stand), the bear is more heavily protected. Offering at least more protection from such an attack. It really is a tough call. Like you, I believe the tiger is going to go for the neck to latch on and then rake. It depends on if it can get through the fur and fat to really inflict injuries that will fell the bear. On the other hand, the tiger isn't nearly as protected in it's hide. Can the bear swat it before the tiger latches on?

This one really is a battle of titans.
Once the jaws are around the neck it is all over.

Big cats kill by asphyxiation

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,623 Posts

Gorilla would lose the fight, not even close as the gorilla has no long and sharp claws. The gorilla would lose to a Siberian Tiger as well for the same reason. Only in Tarzan movies would the gorilla win. Also the very large Bear wins against the Siberian Tiger, sure the claws and teeth match up but the bear has thicker fur and skin. Later.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,623 Posts

View attachment 762346

Interesting article.

An ambush isn't a fight, it's a sneak attack, that being said, I still doubt that the tiger could manage to hold on. I also doubt the cat could sneak up on a grizzly. Later.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,012 Posts
An ambush isn't a fight, it's a sneak attack, that being said, I still doubt that the tiger could manage to hold on. I also doubt the cat could sneak up on a grizzly. Later.
You could be right. If the cat is able to get a neck hold it will all be over for the bear though. A bear could certainly do some damage to the tiger and I doubt if the tiger would push it if it was unable to do an ambush. But cats are built to be able to kill much bigger animals. A bobcat is capable of taking a deer that is 5 times its size for example.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,623 Posts
You could be right. If the cat is able to get a neck hold it will all be over for the bear though. A bear could certainly do some damage to the tiger and I doubt if the tiger would push it if it was unable to do an ambush. But cats are built to be able to kill much bigger animals. A bobcat is capable of taking a deer that is 5 times its size for example.
A fight is not an ambush, if it were than the bear could ambush the tiger. It's a fantasy fight so it has to be eyeball to eyeball. Bear 1200 Lbs. plus. Tiger maxed out at maybe 750 Lbs. tops. Bear has thicker fur and skin and more powerful arms. Cat's claws sharper but not as sturdy as the bear's claws. Kodiack Bears are the badest predators on the planet, not the water tho, that would be the ORCA Whale.

Reactions: Deputydave
1 - 20 of 28 Posts