Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lonestar 48, Jan 26, 2020.

1. ocjackel

ocjackel

Say now that they were traveling with another parent and teammate of daughter to game

2. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Well, that sucks.
    RIP.

3. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Sikorksy S-76B

BIG aircraft!
    [​IMG]

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  4. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

"National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data shows 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 motor vehicle crashes, an average of 102 per day."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

Many of these poor souls leave children behind. But if they are not famous, few think it's tragic or shocking. The media (and sadly, GT) only reacts if they are famous. sad

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Very sad

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  6. ocjackel

ocjackel

Give me an f’ing break. How many of those 37k did you give a damn about? None. Your piousness is as ridiculous as your hypocrisy

7. thespork

thespork

I remember there was an small aircraft they called the fork tailed doctor killer..

A bunch of disposable income, and the confidence that comes from being a big success is not always the best combination

8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

It's difficult to put into words the impact he had on not just basketball, but sports in general. He inspired entire generations of basketball players, both male and female. Say what you will about his off-court behavior, but he was one of the greatest basketball players to have ever lived.

I got to see him play live a few rows back from the Blazers bench back in 2013 in Damien Lillard's rookie season. Dame had 36 points, but Kobe had 47, IIRC. Even at his age, I was shocked at how high he could jump with each shot. Being right there and seeing it was quite something.

RIP, and my thoughts and prayers to his family.

Macc283, GVIFlyer, ScarFace88 and 5 others like this.
  9. thespork

thespork

Oh look.. it's 'that guy', making 'that post'...
    How could there be a thread about a famous person's passing without that guy making that post...
    What a perspective, what philosophical depth and breadth, what would we all do without it....

10. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

Like many of us, I personally knew someone killed in a traffic accident.

I don't get the piousness and hypocrisy. I react differently to the death of a loved one than a complete stranger.

LinuxLover, n2g, light-switch and 6 others like this.
  11. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

I've wondered that same thing. I think though that people feel attached to celebrities in some way. In this case, I've seen Kobe Bryant play ball a few times, and knowing his skills, it is sad that he won't be around to share them with anyone anymore. Of course him dying with his daughter is pretty sad too. And leaving a wife and 3 other daughters, well that would be tough for anyone.

But when something like this happens locally to someone I've never heard of, I'll mourn them when I see it on the news, but if there is never a mention of it again, I don't tend to think about it. If it pops up again, sure; I'll think about how sad it was for the family, but I won't linger on it because it is out of mind once the story is gone again.

It is all about the coverage I think. The more an accident or tragedy is in the news, the more we think about it. I don't know how old you are, but I was 6 when JFK died. I still think a lot about it because it was in the news every since. I don't think mourning a celebrity death is good or bad; it just is, and it is an individual thing. Some won't even know about Bryant's death, some won't think about it after today, and some will be crushed by it. All reactions are fine.

Macc283, rick458, Caver 60 and 5 others like this.
  12. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

Thanks. I don't recall posting about another famous person's death. This was my first and got pegged as 'that guy.' Lesson learned. I'll stay out.

13. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I really never got into basketball until watching Michael Jordan play. He's a superstar, an icon and a class act. Even tho I'm a Bulls fan when Micheal retired I replaced him with the Lakers Kobe Bryant. Just as Michael Jordan, Kobe was a superstar, an icon and a class act. Kobe showed his humorous side when he appeared on the very funny show "Ridiculousness" in a special 1 hour episode which really wasn't done ever for that show. He was funny and a class act during that show. He was the biggest celebrity to ever grace that show.

I was going to watch the Pro-Bowl but I'm kinda in a stupor since learning the horrible news just before the Pro Bowl was to start. Well I have been watching Fox News and the NBA channel back and forth since learning of the helicopter crash he and 4 others were in. Just a short time ago I learned more horrible news that his 13 year old daughter was also killed in the crash. I am truly stunned, Kobe was like a "Stevie Ray Vaughn" of the sports world and I'm sure the sports world is also stunned and very sad especially the Lakers fans thruout the world and the Lakers Orginazation. RIP KOBE, YOU WERE TOTAL CLASS ALL THE WAY. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

14. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

Don’t do that. It was a good point to raise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LinuxLover, n2g, Cmacc and 6 others like this.
  15. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Interestiing flight track data. I see a sharp climb at the end of the flight.. Coupled with the reports that the helo went down in the mountains in fog, I wonder if the MP lost awareness of his position and tried to aviod terrain by climbing, perhaps too late. I don't know how accurate the data is, so my guess is just that, a guess.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N72EX/history/20200126/1708Z/tracklog

Cmacc, Caver 60, inthefrey and 2 others like this.
  16. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Helicopters and fog don't seem to go well together.

Caver 60 likes this.
  17. Dave514

Dave514

Never met him but sad for the family to lose him and one of the daughters. Sad for the other 3 people who died too. Whoever they were.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

6 minutes before tracking data ended it made a 90 degree turn. Any news on if a mayday was sent?

EDIT: it did this turn very close to the Van Nuys VOR so it might have been normal navigational. If using VOR it was likely under IFR conditions.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

He was a very good soccer player.

Fatboy2001 and seanmac45 like this.
  20. Rotn1

Rotn1

Not to be crass...... but I feel worse for the 13 YO daughter.
    At least KB got to live 1/2 of his life.
    Surviving family will be emotionally devastated but at least will be financially stable / supported.

So are we saying it was a collision with a mountain in fog or an equipment failure and unsuccessful auto-rotation?

Bladeruner69 and kae21 like this.