Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lonestar 48, Jan 26, 2020.

1. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Illinois is bankrupt. Democrat leaders have stole taxpayer's money for years. Last governor is in prison for trying to sell Obama's senate seat. We have had several governor's serve prison time. I can't see them spending money on any state aircraft maintenance, unless of course if the maintenance company is owned by friend/family of a state politician. 50k residents leaving state per year. Our new governor, Pritzker, is raising taxes on everything in order to make up for the shortfall. He is a family member that owns the Hyatt hotel chain, and reportedly spent $150 million of his own money on his governor's campaign. Go figure.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    aircarver and Caver 60 like this.
  2. CAcop

CAcop

That's about what I was expecting. He ran out of clear skies as the ground came up. Looks like he tried to turn around but the mountains got in the way.

As for the solo pilot thing one of my former co-workers was from LAPD and had a buddy in their air division. The pilot flies. The observer does everything else. Talk with ATC, talk with dispatch, ground units, navigate, work the FLIR.

If I ever had enough for my own plane I would have two pilots or one of I was flying just for the "Are you sure you want to do that" check.

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

It certainly didn't sound like the help pilot was in any trouble when I listened to the ATC audio that G19Tony (#120) posted. Whatever happened, happened fairly quick.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    160 knots is pretty fast.

G19Tony, GVIFlyer and Caver 60 like this.
  5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I’m dubious he had clear skies at any point. Looks like he was scud running and in border line or illegal weather and paid the price.

F14Scott, cbetts1, F14A and 1 other person like this.
  6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

And now the NTSB confirmed that the operator had a VFR-only Part 135 ticket. In other words, they could not conduct a flight with paying customers (which is what this flight was) under an IFR flight plan. This explains the IFR rated pilot, flying an IFR certified aircraft, not climbing into the soup and telling ATC he’s IMC and needs a clearance. Would have violated his company’s operating certificate and likely earned a hand slap from the FSDO.

F14Scott, CarryTexas, IvanVic and 6 others like this.
  7. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Yes it is. Is it surprising to you that he was flying that fast considering the weather conditions?

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

That’s a hard question to answer given what little I know.

Some pilots like to fly fast, some aircraft like to fly fast.

Without knowing what he saw, I don’t know if he was dodging something or shooting into a closing sucker hole etc.

He hit the ground at a good clip, in a shallow descent and left hand bank. Would not be hard to build up speed quickly in a clean (gear up low drag) helicopter in a dive. But it’s hard to say if he was intentionally doing that, lost in the soup, disorientated etc.

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

And lastly, having the rating, doesn’t mean you’re confident and capable if you haven’t been practicing.

mtidaflash, CAcop and Caver 60 like this.
  10. CAcop

CAcop

I know he didn't have clear skies. I believe the video said he was down to 500 feet to be able to see. With the mountains approaching it would be suicidal to continue on. The passes are going to be higher than that. He had clear enough skies to lull himself into thinking he could get away with it.

I know what the coastal clouds can be like. I live at 500 feet. At my house I can be in grayout. Down at sea level I can see Monterey. You could fly all you want around the Monterey Bay with the May Gray or June Gloom. Try to go inland. The mountains go right into the clouds. I don't need a pilots license to tell me it's best to stay on the ground.

G19Tony, GVIFlyer and FullClip like this.
  11. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

If that was actually Kobe's aircraft, he may have been leasing it back to the 135 operator, but his leg, would be a 91 leg. I think they closed the loophole, where you could charter your own aircraft, and pay yourself.

12. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

This may be a dumb question but why would he have been flying so low.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Trying to stay under the cloud layer most likely and/or stay in visual contact with the ground. It was clear he was trying to follow landmarks like highways.

The entire flight he was like no more than 500-1000 feet AGL I think. Choppers don't have to obey the minimum altitude and structure separation rules that fixed wing aircraft do.

14. sourdough44

sourdough44

It’s the decisions made up to operating in those foggy conditions. One deals with percentages, look in the passenger seats as needed.

It’s a high profile, tragic accident. I’m also think the accident chain is rather simple.

Caver 60 and CAcop like this.
  15. ocjackel

ocjackel

ABC just suspended correspondent Matt Gutman for erroneously reporting that all 4 of Kobe’s daughters died in the crash

Joshhtn likes this.
  16. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

The crash site was right down the road from where I used to live. Hills and fog are a bad combination.

CAcop and Caver 60 like this.
  17. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

18. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Makes no sense. A chopper that carrys that many should be able to fly on instruments no? Ive been on far smaller ones that can fly thru heavy weather and the Pilot never works up a sweat he has so many doo-dads to tell him whats out there.

cbetts1 likes this.
  19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

lol.

mtidaflash, kiole and Caver 60 like this.
  20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

[​IMG]

sourdough44, mtidaflash and G19Tony like this.