Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lonestar 48, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Caver 60

Caver 60

And that is a problem with corporate flying. When the big boss says they want to go someplace, they don't want to listen to excuses about the weather, or anything else.

LEO/Dad and cbetts1 like this.
  2. mtidaflash

mtidaflash

Correct, but I wish you would have been my dispatcher when I was a freight dog.

Caver 60 and aircarver like this.

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Happens in Gen Av, too ...
    When dad died, my brother and I needed to get there, in Johnstown PA for the funeral .. My brother, a cop simply couldn't get more than one day off, even for that. He asked if we could go in my plane, since airline schedules there wouldn't get the job done. I doubted it. Weather was forcast bad and the approach to a mountaintop airport is difficult. I said we'd go take a look, but probably wouldn't be able to finish it.

Turned out that was what happened. Weather turned real bad over Pennsylvania, and I turned around and landed in Allentown for lunch. Then went home.

After that, my sister-in-law wouldn't fly with me any more; I didn't get them there :upeyes: .. :supergrin:

Next day, we missed the funeral but I flew in the next day for the family get-together, in the back of a twin Otter, it was throwing ice at the sides of the airplane, & I sat behind the pilots, watching them work their tails off doing the approach.... :wow: Better them than me ..

Nature doesn't care how important you think your schedule is ... :upeyes:

Need4Speed, GVIFlyer, bipe215 and 4 others like this.
  4. mtidaflash

mtidaflash

Like the old joke, airlines used to hold to see if we freight haulers got in. Big difference being by yourself or with a load of family or paying customers. Never put others in danger. You did the right thing to turn around and get on the ground.

The Machinist likes this.
  5. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

It's usually sunny and clear when the accident investigators arrive the next day. FAA guy told me that once.

aircarver, GVIFlyer, G19Tony and 2 others like this.
  6. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Andy P likes this.
  7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Yep, my second or third flight as a new crew dog, we had awful weather and I didn’t realize how bad it really was. Talking to an old grizzled pilot afterwards he said “the only solace is knowing if you die in crappy weather, they’ll hold your funeral in the sunshine.”

8. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

That beats getting a volume discount on funeral services.

Caver 60 and aircarver like this.
  9. aircarver

Boy, Howdy !

Caver 60 likes this.
  10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

11. CAcop

CAcop

I remember reading years ago about air ambulances written by a state police pilot whose job included the air ambulance role. He wrote about how you have to look at the patient as just a sack of cement of equal weight. You can't think about it being a kid vs adult. If you think of it as a kid and the weather is bad you may push it and crash killing everyone on board maybe even more on the ground.

I can see how it would be hard to say no to a celebrity but if it crap weather it is better for them to take a ground ambulance.

Where I worked we would get the coastal fog or low level clouds. There would be no air ambulances available on those days and we have no trauma center on this side of Santa Cruz Mountains. The highest peak is 3,800 feet. I live at 500 feet and many mornings I am in the clouds but sea level is bright and clear.

I almost wonder if anyone in the LA area flying helicopters for the well off go out over the ocean. No mountains to worry about there, just the occasional large ship and drones near the shore.

12. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Correct, as stated in the article. $1M in inspections and repairs were saved by IL selling.

13. aircarver

No, but I understand the principle :alex: .... on a smaller scale ... :supergrin:

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

And when you drive a new car off the lot you lost XX% instantly too.

So?

15. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I've never had a problem saying NO. They may not like it, but they understand in the end.

CAcop, FullClip, mtidaflash and 2 others like this.
  16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Last year, I went back to visit some family in central Nassau County, Long Island and was surprised by the amount of helicopter traffic going over my cousin's house in Floral Park. He told me so many people commute into NYC from the Hamptons daily, and the pilots simply follow the Long Island Rail Road mainline tracks, two blocks away. HH

17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

I'm glad for that.

But I've made a lot of money, and spent a lot of time picking up people who didn't.

18. aircarver

I've been out of Nassau County (was in Upper Brookville) 30 years now, but back in that day, the wealthy commuted to the wall street seaplane base en mass morning and evening ... Have the seaplanes been replaced by helicopters now ?

19. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

As the author says, this is speculation, but he does a good job of showing what it’s like to fly a helicopter low level in a difficult area and the data that he lists are accurate.
    It also shows very clearly that the single pilot had his hands full simultaneously aviating, communicating and navigating. Most corporate operators fly this helicopter with two pilots.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020