close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knowledge

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by puckhead, Mar 14, 2012.

1. puckhead

puckhead

Ever pick something you know nothing about and try and master it? What was it how did you do it?

I don't think people challenge themselves enough is what brought this thread about.

What would you like to master or simply know more about? Just pick something off the wall!

I know somethings cost money and time but if you have time, you can generally learn a great deal about a subject for very little cost.

2. edcrosbys

edcrosbys

I wouldn't say I try to master it, but I like learning and playing. In the last few years, we have tried:
    Raising milk goats
    A lot of time and work. Worth the $20 we pay for 1gal/week of fresh milk instead.
    Beekeeping
    Amazing!!! Easily a lifetime hobby and wish I could go commercial without loosing money or love.
    Breeding Rabbits for meat
    Just bought the right doe. I'll let you know how it goes in a month or so.
    Chess
    I've played before, but never really dug into the tactics. Now my daughter wants to play, so I would be remiss in not teaching her the best I can.
    Spinning Yarn
    My wife knits. A lot! We have friends that raise alpacas and sheep. I've done some substantial reading on this, but haven't done anything else yet. I'll let you know this fall!

When you stop learning you start dying!

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Computers.

In 1995, I couldn't turn a computer 'on'. Then, my wife told me that we needed a computer at home, so that she could continue her job and not have to sit in an office, in Washington, DC, late every evening.

She said that it was my job to find the computer that would meet our needs.

"PCs for Dummies", is how I learned about computers.
    "PCs for DOS 6.2", "PCs for Windows 3.1" and a bunch of other "Dummies" books.
    That 'first pc' was a Pentium 90, with a 730mb hdd, 16 mb of RAM, a 230 mb tape back-up drive, and a 6x CDRW.
    (Speed demon compared to the 386 SX16 that my wife used at work!):rofl:

I'll never say that I "Mastered" them, but, I know enough about computers now, that I'm administrator of a (literally) housefull of desktops and laptop computers.

I've built 9 or 10 computers and I've repaired about 25 or 30.

4. puckhead

puckhead

I guess giving something a shot is better said than mastering something.

Mine usually comes into play when I purchase something new. I rarely buy on the spot. Shoot just buying memory cards for a camera has been a three day deal! But now I know something new.

I like peeking into things that most people don't know much about or can't/won't do.

Seems like a lot of people here are into flying. They say something like 1% of the population will ever know how to fly. Might be more these days but still a small amount.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Gee-tar.

Been at it for about 7 months. Not hard. I probably average about 20-30 min a day. Some days zero. Some days an hour.

It's amazing to see what I can do now vs. 7 months ago. It's frustrating to WANT to do more (freakin F-chord!) and still can't yet. It's MADDENING to watch my 14 yr old daughter know and have mastered double the chords I know and can transition to them with ease. With age comes slow-of-learning.

What I do know is that I enjoy trying to be better. I'm not really stressing over HAVING to learn a certain song or whatever. And it's keeping my brain active.

The fascinating thing is we have 3 guitars. "My" guitar is a Epi LP Special. Thinnest neck, thinnest lowest strings. We also have a Yamaha acoustic. FAT neck. reasonable strings. Finally, my daughter plays an Ibanez acou/elec. Thin body. Almost as thin of a neck as the Epi. Strings of kryptonite. Trying to first-fret the E or B is almost impossible. But it's good for me to work on all 3. I find I improve on the others by trying to play something on one of them.

6. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

I am about three-fourths through reading Proust's monumental masterpiece À la recherche du temps perdu (In Search of Lost Time; earlier translated as Remembrance of Things Past).

It is 4,200 pages long. I have been reading only this for about six weeks. I have probably read over 3,000 pages at this point.

The book is very difficult to read. Sometimes Proust writes a sentence that is over a page long. But, it is quite interesting.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  7. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Golf.

I picked up a set of clubs a few years back and tried playing and I was horrible at first. The second summer of playing I did get a bit better but just got bored with it so I sold my clubs and never looked back. Maybe I'll try again when I retire in 20 years.

8. MARKDANIEL

MARKDANIEL

I have tried to master drinking. Funny thing is i can't remember anything i've learned .

9. deputy tom

deputy tom

Bagpipes.

From the time I was a little boy watching Pipe bands in parades with my Grand-father I wanted to play them. Twenty five years ago I decided to do it. I bought a practice chanter, book and tape and taught myself to play. Six months from not being able to read music to being able to play thirty two tunes. It took three hours per night every night including Holidays but I did it. Bought a set of Pipes and as they say, the rest is history. tom.:kilt:

10. Steve0853

Steve0853

I grew up in a southern country home where biscuits were baked nearly every day. They were delicious.

After I got married, my wife steadfastly refused to make biscuits for me. (She indicated that maybe I didn't exactly need instant access to unlimited biscuits).

So after about 25 years, I decided that I would learn how to make a good biscuit. After all, I could reload ammo in several calibers that would outperform most factory loads, so how hard could it be to make a good biscuit?

Well....about 3 years later, I have got it down pat. I can make a fine pan of bisuits. Easily on a par with my grandmother's or anybody else's grandmother.

However, my wife was right. I really DO NOT need instant access to unlimited good biscuits. I limit myself now to only make a pan once a month.

11. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

I am thinking of getting into this. For me it was the knitting itself that I mastered. I have been crocheting for 16 years (also mostly self-taught) and thought that if I could just learn to knit, I could be more versatile in the things I make. It was not without bumps; I never took a class and so was doing it backwards for months. And I wondered why my work had a hopeless bias in it. :embarassed:

I am still improving but have mostly figured it out. It has been great.

You can get roving from a lot of different sources and there are wool markets throughout the summer and fall across the country. I love small-batch local stuff--it always has more personality than the giant mass market brands, although those have their place too.

12. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Spey casting :wavey:
    A form of fly fishing invented for Atlantic salmon-I'm quite knowlagable about it,even considered an expert by others:dunno:

13. Jdee

Jdee

Woodgraining

Woodgraining Old Car interior parts.
    From the mid 20s till about 1953 the metal interior dash and window garnish molding were woodgrained. Been at it for about 13 years now. Fun stuff..
    Even got to meet Big Daddy Don Garlits, nice guy, do work for his collection.
    Jdee
    [​IMG]