close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knoppix - Someone help me

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jhall, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jhall

jhall

So, having never even seen a Linux based machine before, I downloaded Knoppix V 5.1 DVD yesterday, and burned the image to a DVD.

Set my comp to boot from the DVD drive before the HDD, inserted the DVD, and restarted.

Amazingly, it booted to Knoppix.

My question to you is, what now? I know nothing about this platform and I figured Knoppix was a good start. But I dont know what to do with it. It seems so loaded with stuff, that I dont even know where to begin. I figured a good place to start would be making sure all my hardware works, which brings me to .....

My sound doesnt work. I just run the built in audio from my ASUS mobo, but it says there is some conflict. Anyone have an idea on how to fix it?

Thanks

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The reason Knoppix is so loaded with software,some of which do the same functions,is originally Knoppix was a live CD demo of Linux.Originally it didn't even have an installer.It became very popular and a DVD version and an installer were added.When each version first comes out it has the latest software and often isn't the most stable or still has bugs or conflicts.

For the sound many times on start up in Linux the sound is muted. More often though your onboard sound may not be supported. Knoppix 5.1 is not old but there are newer Linux's that have new sound drivers that support more sound cards and more onboard sound.

The most funxtional Live Linux I've found so far is Sabayon Linux. The last DVD version has a bug in the installer but was later fixed only on the CD version which doesn't have as much software. A newer demo version DVD is available via bit torrent but it takes a long time.Even the standard DVD is a much larger download than the Knoppix DVD I think. You may want to try the Sabayon Linux CD. It won't have as much software as Knoppix or the DVD version but a lot of the software on Knoppix is server and software development software.

The Easiest to use and understand Linux is most likely SAM Linux. It's a very complete desktop system that can run from live CD or be installed.

http://www.sam-linux.org/

http://www.sam-linux.org/

Download the 2007 CD. For some people the kernel in this version hangs on boot but I haven't had any problem and I think your sound may work. The first download link is usually ffast.

3. neeko

neeko

try running soundcfg from the command line, if knoppix is using KDE open the KDE management console and drilldown to the sound options.

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

jhall,

The now what is googling what questions you have.

Linux serves a particular purpose and not necessarily a desktop replacement.

Right now Linux runs perfectly fine in the background of a lot of Companies and IT shops.

In the case of my company we use it both as a platform to develop Java based Apps and we use it for business processing.

What is the need you have?

Google it and see if Linux can do it cheaply.
    If not stick to MS or Apple.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm still a pretty big fan of Ubuntu after workign tirelessly for almost 2yrs to find a distro that could replace Windows(yes, I despise M$). Knoppix is a good distro, although my familiarity with it isn't very high.

Open up a terminal, and type "lspci".... no quotes. It'll spit out some junk about your PC's onboard devices. Look for your audio controller within that info... It'll look like something like this..

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

Once you know what you have, try using google with your sound device, and "Knoppix Help", or something like that. Most likely, you're not the only one to have this problem. If you've not installed Knoppix though, you'll probably have to do this everytime you boot the Live CD.

IGF

6. jhall

jhall

thanks for the replies!

Honestly I have no "need" for linux. But, I do have a desire to learn new things, and this is what I'm set on right now.

I'll play around with it some more on my next days off, and see if I can figure out the sound thing.

Thanks for the help!