close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Knockdown power"

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by gary newport, Aug 9, 2004.

1. gary newport

gary newport

No, it isn't THAT argument! I'm wondering if anyone has had any problem with knocking down plates and poppers using factory 9mm 115 grain rounds out of shorter barrels (G19, G26). GSSF says these are set to fall "with a low hit" from such ammo. In my first (so far, only--but not for long) GSSF match last year, I was using 147 grain Federal flat points in my G34 and had no problem. (In Amateur Civilian last year, I shot full-power 230 grain loads in my G21--knockdown was NOT an issue!) This year, I'll be using a G19 and a G17, in addition to my G34 (and possibly a G26--I pick it up tomorrow) and I wanted to use 115 grain Blazer. Is this likely to be a problem? (Missing is one thing, but I'd hate to experience a "failure to drop" during a match!)

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

GSSF steel is usually calibrated with a G17 or G19 and Winchester USA 115-gr FMJ ammo. Should be no problem.

3. GJM89

GJM89

I shoot Fireglocks FULL power 147 gr., 9mm in a G19 and have never had a problem.;Q ;Q ;Q ;Q ;Q

4. gary newport

gary newport

Are you suggesting that there could be a problem with the 115s? (And who is Fireglock?)

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;5 ;n ;N ;N ;T ;T ^3

6. gary newport

gary newport

Okay, Don, could you let me in on the joke? I may be developing a bad case of "ammo envy" here.

7. GJM89

GJM89

Well first, as Don from PC has pointed out, my ammo MIGHT, I say MIGHT not really be Full Power but the empty's alway's clear the ejection port, Fireglock is a Master Class shooter form Fla. and my Friend and Mentor.;f ;f ;f ;f

8. GJM89

GJM89

115s are fine, but we who reload, or have reloaded for, find that 147s are more accurate and reliable when SLIGHTLY ;Q ;Q ;Q Downloaded.;z ;z ;z ;z ^3

9. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Gary, what Glenn and Don are trying to say in their own way is 115 Blazer will have no problems knocking down the plates or poppers if you make clean hits. :) On the poppers I wouldn't count on hits very far below the circle but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

10. gary newport

gary newport

Actually, I kinda like the idea of 147s for factory loads as well, but the Blazers are SO inexpensive. Does anybody have any preferences on factory ammo for GSSF (I don't reload 9mm)?\

Edited to add: Thanks, Fireglock! (And now I know who you are. :) )

11. DannyR

Fireglock has been known to use very light loads in the past, with some that seemed to be powered only by the primer. He has now started to add gun powder to his reloads.;f

My 147-gr Reloads have a power factor of only 129, and many shooters, including some Masters, use Winchester USA 115-gr FMJ's in GSSF competition with no problems whatsoever.

12. Don At PC

Gary; Sorry if I was giving you a complex.Fireglock, GJM89 and DannyR and my son-in-law(DEJ/FL) and I have been shooting Glock matches together for a few years and we like to project a little levity on occasion.

As to the 147gr loads, I also load my own and they are very lite. I did however stop by Walmart the other day and found they had Winchester 147gr target loads in the 100 per box for about $10. I bought a box and was very pleased how well they shot. Of course I will not switch but for someone who doesn't reload they are a great choice. They were Winchester 147gr TCMC in a white box with the Winchester code 9mm1.

I will also say there is nothing wrong with what you are shooting howeveryou may really like these 147's.

13. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

The steel is set to go over with a 115gr usually from a G17. At least that is what the Glock Range Master uses when he tests the targets.
    As for myself I have seen targets take a good solid hit with 115gr factory load and the popper not go over. Happened to me. Shot it a second time and it tipped. RO would have given it to me, as they were having with that popper going over.
    I take both 115gr and 147gr (factory ammo) to the GSSF match. Use the 115gr for paper and 147 for steel. Call it 'gamey' if you want, but I just feel more confindent with 147 on steel.
    I also shoot all the steel slightly on the high side rather than dead center. May not be speedy but they all go down.

14. GJM89

GJM89

Don, I'd pick some up and try them, but I don't think they sell ammo in NJ Walmarts.:( :( :( :(

15. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I also like the Blazer and they work in all my Glocks except my G26. For some reason the gun jams and Blazer won't feed through there right. I also like the Winchester 9mm, 40 and .45 (white box) and the 100 value pack (usually bought at Wal-Mart except when they're out). I have found that I like the PMC 9mm and it seems to feed through my Glocks well. Check to see if Blazer works in your G26. However, I've never had problem with the steel poppers or plates as far as them falling if I hit them. The poppers seem like the fall slowly, but, if you hit them, they will fall!;a ;a

16. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Ihave shot alot of sub-minor ammo at GSSF and have never had a problem taking down steel.

17. Don At PC

I wouldn't drop my personal loads for them but if I didn't reload that would be my 1st choice. Our Walmart usually carries a fair selection but not always the 147's that is why I grabbed a box when I saw the. Just wanted to relieve my courosity. Sounds like you need to move to Florida. There is plenty of room between Dan's, Jerry's and my place for a good friend, besides we may need some sandbagging help in a few days. My only complaint about the area.

18. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Just another $.02... recently tried the WWB 147gr's Don is talking about and they're very nice. Shot Oakdale with 115gr Blazer & no problem - as long as I hit it. ;f

I think Butch shot Oakdale w/115gr WWB and didn't seem to have a problem either. If I got the Win 147's as ridiculously cheap as my dealer gives me Blazer I'd probably use them. Either seems to feed in anything. May still ask my dealer to get me a bunch of the 147's. :)

19. DannyR

Blazer 124's are a pretty hot factory load.;)

20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I shot my last two GSSF matches with a G26 and WWB 115gr FMJ from WallyWorld, and the 115gr rounds knocked down a total of 168 plates and 63 poppers without a problem.