Knives, Dressing kits, elaborate or simple?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Chuck TX, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

What do you use for dressing, skinning, quartering?

Just curiousity. I have friends that use everything from fancy elaborate high priced 6 piece dressing kits, or Browning F.D.T. 3 blades, Kershaw Alaskan Blade Traders, to a cousin that does deer and hogs all the way thru with a SOG SEAL knife, and another cat that does the same with just a cheap fixed blade Shrade Oldtimer.

So what do you use?

2. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

i always seem to come back to my swiss army pocket knife.. :) Blade i think is 3.5 it's a fairly nice blade that stays sharp an sharpens nicely when needed and it has a saw blade.. i've only really used it on deer and smaller game, never on hogs or bigger so i can't say about them.

I have a lot of knives(sp?) and most often keep coming back to it.

Someone that knows what they are doing really won't need all that big of a knife, it just has to be "sharp".. and stay that way.

Personally i stay away from a knife for this kind of work that has a very sharp point, spear point, clip point but that's a personal thing others may like using them better.

Jeff.

3. tjpet

tjpet

Cold Steel Master Hunter w/carbon V blade. It's the best non-custom knife I've ever worked with. A stainless blade version is available also but it's a bear to touch up in the field while the work's in progress.

It's probably not necessary if you're just a deer hunter. But it really comes into it's own when you toss elk and bigger game into the mix.

4. noway

noway

For skinning and 99% of the stuff I do , a BUck Prince knife. Big knifes are no good nor are needed for this work. For any sawing thru spine or cracking of a pelvis bone, I have a bigger hard steel custom knife or a 6" buck or a matchette.

I find that using the knife that I have plus carrying a nice stone is all about what you need.

5. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

My Becker Brute, a rope, a truck, and a golf ball.

6. Castigliano

Castigliano

I use the same Schrade 4.5" bladed knife my dad gave me when I started deer hunting. It is fairly thick but not a real deep swept blade. Recently boughta Marbles Plainsman, but the blade is too deep for the whitetails so I will go back to my other knife.
    The one thing I do like is either a sagan saw or a stainless steel rope saw for cutting the pelvis. Safer, faster, and does not bend or break knife tips. Prefer the SS wire saw over the sagan.
    c

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Most of the deer I kill these days I field dress and that's it. I have an excellent, top notch, game processor that only charges $5 extra to skin rounding off everything at $50. I used to process all of mine but am not the best butcher. This guys does it all and does it well.

As for field dressing I just bought a new Buck fixed blade knife 3 1/2" blade. Used to carry a bigger knife but it's usally too much.

8. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i use a crkt m16-04 4" tanto blade for all my deer dressing.
    the only thing it doesnt do as well as a drop point is caping, but on deer all you have to do is to get a good hold on the cape and pull off with your hands. that way you dont accidentaly cut into the meat and have to trim it out later. i like to leave the silver skin on until it is out of my cooler and on the cutting board before i freeze sections. the silver skin really protects the meat quality until final butchering. i dont use a pelvis saw either. if you cut around the exit holes properly they will just slide out the pelvic canal when you dump the guts out.

oh, and a hatchet or machette is the quickest way of removing deer legs below the knees, saws take forever for this chore

ive got one of those huge cleaning kits but honestly i dont use any of it in the field.

a good 4" blade knife with a wicked edge is all you really need. oh and a hatchet is also nice

9. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Sorta what I figured. Seems the über experienced guys I've met that could do it all blindfolded tend to keep it real simple. For hogs I've been using an old Beuchat Diving knife that I can get pretty sharp, and a has a hook and serrations on the backside for sawing, etc. Hadn't really settled on anything particular for deer yet, been doing the knife potluck with a tendency to use the Kershaw blade trader.

10. onemangang

onemangang

I've used a Spyderco Delica with good results!
    I really like my Schrade Sharpfinger though. It takes some getting used to but I can make short order of a deer with it and a hatchet!