close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knives and Batons in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by brawnless, Jul 5, 2005.

1. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Anybody familiar with the legal / technical aspect regarding the possession of:
    1. knives
    2. collapsible batons

In the following areas:
    a. street
    b. public transport
    c. mall

Also, are there classifications regarding knives? Eg. Butterfly, folder, fixed-blade, utility – or are knives simply grouped under “bladed weapons”?

Are there really guidelines about these o “diskarte lang”?

Thanks in advance!

Brawnless

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

unless you are a butcher, vaciador, or any other profession in need of a bladed instrument, all are illegal under an old marcos era law or something.

so diskarte na lang

3. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Section 3 of Presidential Decree No. 9 issued in October 2, 1972 states that: "It is unlawful to carry outside of residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as fanknife, spear, dagger, bolo, balisong, barong, kris or club, except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood and while being used in connection therewith; and any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment ranging from five to ten years x x x

This strict law has not been repealed. Technically, therefore, the law still stands, as I have confirmed in an email I sent long ago to the PNP Public Information Office.

However, if you search for "PD 9" on Google Philippines, you will find quite a few Supreme Court decisions wherein the tribunal sided with the defendant who was caught carrying the blade, provided that defendant was not doing so to carry out subversive or destabilizing acts. Quite interesting reading, actually.

Personally, I'm with Doc EC on this one... diskarte na lang. It would be better to avoid getting caught by the authorities altogether; concealed is concealed.

4. 9MX

9MX Rei!

carry the leatherman wave! di lang pampamilya, pangsports pa!

5. mikol

mikol

leatherman pala yun mannix? ;P kala ko rea rubbing alcohol. ;g ;e ;)

6. attyjpl

attyjpl Dark Justice

this PD No. 9 actually has a loophole. a client of mine sometime ago was arrested by the police for carrying a "swiss knife". prior to his arrest, he went inside shoe mart and the guard tried to bring him to the security office but since he refused to surrender his swiss knife, one of the guards called the nearest police station. two cops arrived and hauled him to the station.

one of the glib-tongued cops blabbered about his "legal" know-how (nagdudunong-dunungan, ika nga) regarding PD No. 9 so i lectured him about a seemingly unnoticeable flaw in the law. PD No. 9 did not "EXPRESSLY" and "SPECIFICALLY" state how long the bladed weapon should be to fall under its coverage. the truth is, PD No. 9 covers only those bladed weapons with a length of at least SIX INCHES or more (measured by the blade only and not including the handle). in short, lahat ng less than 6 inches ay hindi considered deadly or bladed weapon, which includes the famous swiss knife.

batons are, i think, perfectly legal to be owned and carried anywhere.

yung nagdudunung-dunungan na pulis ay 1st yr. law student pala that time sa isang law school sa u-belt area. i wonder if that guy already passed the bar by now. ;z

7. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Let's see them try and implement this here in Batangas province. They'd have to jail a sizable number of the adult male population as well as more than a few females ;f Diskarte na lang talaga yan :)

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

hehehe, "rea" ba yun? i think it was family rubbing alcohol;f

9. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Are batons not clubs? Those retractable batons can be deadly in the trained hands.

10. kerwin

kerwin

and so are umbrellas, broomstick handles or even a bunch of keys when used properly.

11. 9MX

9MX Rei!

trained hands - includes boxers, those who know how box (very popular these days), BJJ, Muay Thai stylists, etc.

i heard that in the US, batons and even the big maglites are illegal. maybe our US friends can comment on this.:)

12. jasonub

jasonub

i carry an asp lightweight baton and a benchmade afck folder. The baton is always in my clutch bag while the knife is always on me. before this i had my usp and the knife but the government does not want us to carry a gun thus i bought the baton

13. Allegra

Allegra

I still prefer my new balance 705
    Sayunachi is my prefered martial arts style

14. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

But they are not specified under the Presidential Decree. :)

15. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

ooops double post. sorry.

16. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

yes! that is still the best martial arts style! hahahaha!!!

17. rhino465

rhino465

It depends on the state in question. Here in Indiana, it's perfectly okay to carry a baton or maglite. However, we need to keep in mind that they are considered "deadly force" when used as defensive weapons, so the same standards apply that go with use of a firearm for defense.

In other states with laws reminiscent of the former Soviet Union, carrying a baton will probably get you into big trouble.

If you know how to use it, a baton or other type of stick is probably the best defense against a knife-wielding assailant who is close enough that your sidearm offers no advantage.

18. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

attyjpl,

Would you have a reference or source material that expressly states this 6-inch rule? Is it in the Implementing Rules & Regulations of PD 9? I've been trying to find something concrete to support the contention that any blade below 6 inches is legal, but I've found nothing yet.

19. mikol

mikol

oo nga ano "family" pala yun. errr....na inom ko siguro yun alcohol kaya pangalan na noong seksing chick na kapitbahay namin dati yun nasabi ko. ;e ;) (walang malisya yun ha!)

20. mikol

mikol

don't forget the eskrima d arnis of Mr. Cakoy Canite of "dose paris" in Cebu City. A retractable baton on their hands are much deadlier than a perps knife or gun in close combat.:cool: