knife sharpening

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OGW, Jan 7, 2017.

1. OGW

OGW SAF

I have Japanese kitchen cutlery that I've been sharpening the old school way--800/6000 grit Japanese stones. I can make them razor sharp, but obviously, that takes a while.

I'm wondering if a tool like the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO with fine belts will do delicate enough work to not prematurely wear out my good knives? I know it'll sharpen them well but I'm concerned about excess metal removal.

Thoughts from those who have or have used the machine are appreciated.

KBKEITH likes this.
  2. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver Platinum Member

Saw the ad for that tool on TV yesterday and wondered the same as you. Would it work better than my Sharpmaker? :dunno:

Joshhtn likes this.

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I've got the edge-pro and the worksharp.

I can get things wicked sharp on the edge-pro.

I can get things very sharp on the worksharp. But I still refuse to put one of my "good" knives against a belt-sander.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  4. OGW

OGW SAF

This is the line of thought I've been on to date. Thanks for replying.

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

My Dad swears by his worksharp. It does get his knives super sharp and is quick & easy.

That said, a $45 Spiderco Tenacious is the nicest Knife he has.

6. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

If it takes you a long time to sharpen your knives with whetstones my recommendation is to start with a coarse stone and use more intermediate stones. I can take my finest Japanese knives from a pretty worn edge to a 5,000 grit stone level of polished edge in about 10-12 minutes with about 4-5 stones total. On a dull edge with no chips I will start with a 600 grit stone. On a knife with a chipped edge I've started with 250 grit diamond plates. The most important thing is to establish a fresh edge/bevel with your coarse stone along the entire edge. Once you do that its all just refining that edge with progressively coarser stones and this rarely takes more than 20 strokes per side to remove the pattern from the previous stone. The more you move up the less strokes with the finer stone are required. When I get to a 5,000 grit stone I rarely go over 10 strokes per side.

OGW likes this.
  8. Dave514

Dave514

Unless a knife is trashed or just has a horrible bevel, I find a course, medium and fine stone with a carbide to take off the rolls in between, followed by a strop, will get a knife sharp enough to shave your armhair in 10 minutes. I don't need them any sharper.

OGW likes this.
  9. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

This guy has a homesteading channel on YouTube, and he's into refinishing axes, blades, saws, and edged tools. He used to rely on stones, but this new tool is all he raves about now.

Green Dragoon and Steel Head like this.
  10. OGW

OGW SAF

Well, so far it appears there's not much to be gained by going mechanical. I've been using stones and water my whole life to date, probably could improve my technique by not waiting until I have a half a dozen knives to sharpen. I never let them get bad, ever.

11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

A proper grinder is not a "belt sander".

12. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I know the experts and "pros" use them, but in my hands, it's still a belt sander. It IS a belt sander.

I know it's dumb and useless, but I like many of my knives "stupid-sharp". I can do that on the edgepro. Sometimes takes a while to get them there the first time, but very easy to maintain.

I like them where they'll "oops" you real quick. Ever see that flash of whitey-white bone before the blood even starts? That's an Oops. And an *&&^%$^&*&^*&^*&$#@%%^&*!!!!!

13. Dave514

Dave514

14. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I have an Edge Pro too, and all my sharpening is manual. Have you ever watched someone who was really good sharpen on a grinder? It's not the same process as grinding. You can use dull belts, strop belts, everything can be moving very slowly, etc.

It's not that hard to get stuff crazy sharp with proper power gear and process. In terms of sharpening, the thing that mainly differentiates "pros" is how fast they can do it. Grinding primary bevels is another matter, of course.

15. crockett

crockett

I bought the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition a year ago and use it for all my Shun Classic kitchen knives. If you go by the instructions it is fast and dangerously sharp.

16. 2bgop

2bgop

I follow his channel, he has some good stuff. That sharpening system looks awesome.

light-switch likes this.
  17. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox

Another suggestion is a paper wheel on a bench grinder. Once you get the edge, stop it on a paper wheel and I guess the results are amazing. YouTube has a million videos on knife sharpening.

I've always wanted a Tormek.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I use a work sharp onion edition. It's awesome but I just may not know any better

19. OGW

OGW SAF

Thanks to all who replied so far.

Another concern I've had regarding the belt type units is localized heat at the edge being sharpened and changing the metallurgy there. As a metallurgist who's done a lot of machining I've seen the effects of that, further inclining me to stay with manual sharpening.

20. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

I have the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition and it works great, but what do I know. Use a practice knife first to get the feel of it and follow the instructions.