Knife noob - tactical fixed blade with....

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by ISYN, Mar 29, 2020.

1. ISYN

ISYN

Kydex sheath and fire starter kit.

I am looking for a knife to have in my everyday carry bag. I'm new to this but I'm wanting a nice, dependable knife that I can attach to my bag that has some survival attributes.

Thanks for the help guys.

2. skyfall

skyfall

The OEM Glock knife is not expensive and is a good quality knife to keep in your survival bag.

3. lazarus66

lazarus66

A Randall No.1 and a Zippo would be my choice.

ISYN likes this.
  4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

If you're leaning more toward the cutting performance side, probably BRK. For more on the abusive side, Busse.

IMG_3089s.jpg

ISYN likes this.
  5. I am Groot!

I am Groot!

I use the Gerber model BMF (Basic Multi Function) knife. The sheath has a secured empty pocket where I keep a fire starter kit and a compass. It also has its own diamond sharpener built into the sheath.
    It doesn't need a saw back on the top/back of its blade because it is thick and heavy enough to hack and chop very well.
    You can Google it for pictures and info.
    I think it is no longer made but maybe you can find something with a built in pocket similar to this one.

Bus007 and ISYN like this.
  6. Kentguy

Kentguy

Cold Steel SRK compact in SK-5 - great knife, very reasonably priced for what you are looking for.

I don't have a pic but I'm sure you can find one on amazon.com or knifeCenter.com

ISYN likes this.
  7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Don't look for a firestarter with the knife. Focus on getting a good knife and then buy a firestarter. No sense limiting your knife selection just because of a cheap accessory.

8. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

There are quality knives for as much or little as you want to spend. Pick a price first, then start shopping. There are good workable knives for $40 to $50, and there are GREAT knives for $100 to $500. Amazon generally has pretty good prices on knives, I'd try there first. YouTube has some very good info on knives by price, you might want to spend some time there before looking to buy. Search for "survival knives under $100" and go from there. Once you start to research, you'll see that the same knives keep coming up on many people's recommended lists.

FWIW, I agree not to buy a combo knife and firestarter set, get them separately.

9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

fixed blade knife, folding knife? Do the laws in your area restrict either?

I would buy a good knife and simply get a ferro rod as a stand alone item.

Its not a bad idea to have a ferro rod but I have never had a problem with the ole trusty bic lighters that I keep in my go bag. I simply change them out every year.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  10. bdcochran

bdcochran

Ok. I am going to assume that you know nothing about fixed blade knives, know nothing about sheaths. The clue is the reference to in carry bag and attached to carry bag - two radically different concepts.

I will give you two options:
    Option No. 1- chosen for my 40 year old kid who probably has never sharpened a knife in his life, never had a skills class ("tactical"/"combat"/"camp"/"survival" are absolutely meaningless terms when you have no skills and taken no classes). I wanted him to keep a unit in his car (drives about 50,000 miles a year). Ontario TFI. You do not have to buy an aftermarket sheath. It is the best sheath that Ontario issues for run of the mill knives. If you want better, then spend another $60 on a spec ops sheath. You can take out the plastic insert, warm it up in water and mold it to the knife.

Option No. 2 - for those who insist on having a kydex sheath. Cold Steel srk-c. Be aware that the importer is not shipping at this time.

Both knives can be affixed outside a pack with paracord.

Option No. 3 - Ontario SP-2 survival knife. I said only two options, right? Why don't I recommend it, but list it. If you can cut off the rubber top guard and can operate a knife sharpener, it would be fine. The problem is ignorance. Too many people have absolutely no understanding that it is issued dull because it is designed to go into people and be twisted. The top part is not for fire starting. It is for cutting through aircraft aluminum bodies. So stick to #1 or #2.

11. Hilux1911

Hilux1911

Take a look at ESEE knives. Great quality, reasonable price, and no questions asked lifetime warranty. Most of their models come with a good kydex sheath also.

Sharkey, Krav Maglock and Bus007 like this.
  12. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I just got a Gerber Strongarm. I like it, lots of mounting options, American made, and it was pretty cheap. Plus, they have their "Pro" program so vets, first responders, etc. get a bit of a discount.
    I'm cursed when it comes to knives. The only way I can have one longer than a few months is to leave it in my house.... and sometimes, they're not even safe here since I seem to have misplaced my most recent EDC folder. Good thing it was cheap. :(

13. Kentguy

Kentguy

As you can see there are a plethora of kives that fit your discription. As suggested by others, pick a price point and start from there.

I would not suggest a fix blade knife to have in an "everyday carry bag". I would suggest a good folder for that purpose. There is an absolute ton of brands/knives that fit that bill.
    Look for something easy to open, must fit firm in YOUR hand and about 3" long blade.

For a bag with "survival attributes", that is where you want to have a fixed blade about 4"-5" at least. If you are not interested in what has been suggested so far, you can always look to some of the old stand-by's such as Buck, Schrade or Kabar.

14. Bus007

Bus007

41FE96AF-1911-45AA-9059-A31C2367B51B.jpeg CFF1D1AA-E20B-4950-BB82-3F4053C4C9C0.jpeg

ESEE 4 after market fire starter

15. Kentguy

Kentguy

Bus007 - very nice.

Bus007 likes this.
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Because everybody needs a $700-1,000 knife to put back in a bag and never use (or show off at a barbecue, because only an idiot would actually use a knife that expensive).

I have one of these Schrade Extreme copies of a Chris Reeve one-piece style. It has the hollow handle to store your fire-starting kit, fish hooks and line, etc. Also a pocket on the sheath for more survival or sharpening stuff. I used to have the real Chris Reeve, but I never used it because it was too expensive to scratch up, so I sold it on ebay.
    [​IMG]

Also, Ontario/OKC makes lots of good US-made knives. I have one of these:
    [​IMG]

Also have a Becker BK2, but it's way too big and hard to sharpen:
    [​IMG]

bdcochran and Bus007 like this.
  17. Penn'sWoods

Penn'sWoods

Benchmade Arvensis 20190501_175055.jpg

Kentguy likes this.
  18. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Tops or ESEE there both 1095 pretty easy and straightforward to sharpen.
    I have a tops bob that is on a piggyback sheath for a condor parang.
    If I had to complain on something it would be the bob and the ESEE are a little to thick imo but it's not a big deal.

Bus007 likes this.
  19. tall terry

tall terry

last I remember randall's are only that expensive on the second hand market,,, usually double what the cost yesterday when you paid randall for it..

brand spanking new,, most are under $500,, with great sheath and sharpening stone. and many features selectable with no extra charge....but the wait is around 5 years or so...
    the upside is you will never need another fixed blade fighter knife..