close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knife for EMT/FF?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by 22/45, Apr 21, 2006.

1. 22/45

22/45 Snail Driver

I have a potential customer who is asking for a recommendation on a good knife for EMT/FF use. His principal request is a knife that will quickly and easily cut seat belts.

I haven't had much luck finding a specialized knife, and I really don't want to take the "well, these look sharp" approach, so I thought I'd ask here.

What do you carry for duty use? What have you tried in the past? What do you look for in a knife?

Thanks for your responses, and keep safe!

2. akulahawk

akulahawk

Most of the rescue hammer type devices have a hook like cutter. Seatbelt goes in slot, you pull and a recessed blade cuts the belt. I have also seen such cutters that don't have the hammer part. They're supposed to work well. I believe that Smith & Wesson have a rescue knife that is purpose designed to cut seatbelts and doesn't have a sharp point on it. It's a folder knife and it has a window punch built in. I've never used it though. I've used my trauma shears or a regular folding knife with a serrated blade. The few times I have needed to cut a seatbelt those have worked well enough for me.

3. D25

D25 The Quick

I have a window-punch seat belt hook combo that works well. It's small and difficult to find sometimes though, so the shears usually get used. I try to not whip out a regular pointed pocket knife in the confines of a mangled car.

4. akulahawk

akulahawk

I'd have to agree with this. Although I have used my folder knife to cut seatbelts, I much prefer my shears or the seatbelt hook/cutter. Either of those are MUCH safer for the patient. Of course, that is IF I can't get the belt unlatched the normal way.

5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I carry a $30 dollar fixed blade on my belt, but it's for defense, not seat belts. For seat belts I just use trauma shears.

As was already said, much safer for the patient.

6. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

I carry a S&W black ops opening assisted knife @ work. But around a patient I usally take the time to fish the trauma shears out of the bag.

I have, on a few occasions, used my knife for "life or limb" cutting.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

Here's what I have and it works great. The center punch is out of the way until needed and the way the serated edge is you would really have to work at cutting someone. Cuts belts and rope like butter though.

This is my recomendation for a economical solution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6623898850

And you can usually find these knives on ebay for about this same price.

8. Victory

Victory

personally i use a benchmade rescue hook. It's simply much safer for cutting things around pts.

9. faceplant

faceplant

Use trauma shears. Prevents the embarrassing moment self inflicted wound to yourself :shocked: Or worse the patient. Better yet just unbuckle them.

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

I looked at one of those. I thought it looked pretty neat. I couldn't figure out what all it did and the salesman didn't have a clue. There is the hook, that's obvious. Then is that little hole for an O2 bottle? What else does it do?

11. Victory

Victory

hook, hole for an O2 bottle and the top can be used as a bottle opener, but that's a little dangerous since you have to grab it by the blade end....i don't know of anyone who hasn't cut themselves using it as a bottle opener.

12. I FLEX

I FLEX punish-enslave

SOG Knives: SOG Trident Folder Knife, SG-TF2

he SOG Trident Folder Knife features a 3.75" clip point blade made of AUS8 stainless steel, .125" thick, with a Rockwell hardness of 57-58. The blade has a notched thumb ramp for secure grip, dual thumb studs, and S.A.T. assist for ambidextrous one hand opening. The black Zytel handle, 4.875" closed, has the SOG Arc-Actuator lock, blade safety, cord cutter groove, and lanyard hole. The side to side reversible discrete carry pocket clip is mounted at the butt end. The SOG Trident Folder Knife has an overall length of 8.5" when open, and weighs 4.5 ounces.

[​IMG]

Commonly used by Navy Seals for the ease of cutting ropes wires, etc. while under water without openning the blade.

13. Medic721

Medic721 CLM

14. Quint57

Quint57

15. afdrookie

afdrookie

Trauma Shears or just a plain ole' seatbelt cutter. Both sell for under 5 bucks. And you won't cut your fingers or your patient!!

16. steven andrews

steven andrews

Hi,
    I'm a firefighter in the UK. I use a Res-Q-Me for glass breaking and straps/clothing. I carry a Spyderco Endura for general fireground use.

17. RedRyder21

RedRyder21

Plus one on the trauma shears! When I was new I was always thinking about diffrent knives, but I don't like the emabarsment of cutting myself. You get into a high strees type situation and if you aren't careful... Thats why I use my trauma shears.

I do like the looks of that SOG knife though...!
    There is also a Smith and Wesson knife with a specialy made blade with curves in it, and a window punch. I like it alot! You can find them for sale at www.galls.com.