close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KLR650 coming soon. Street or trail riding gear?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by bluemeanie, May 20, 2006.

1. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

Looks like one of my summer purchases is going to be a Kawasaki KLR650. Since I have a lot of time off over the next couple of months, it's going to get ridden a lot. I'll be covering no more than about ten miles of asphalt to access tons of dirt roads and trails, one of the joys of living near a closed Army post that's in the process of being deeded over to surrounding towns and our stat'e Game and Fish Commission.

The rest of my riding will be short (4-5 mile jaunts) to friend's houses and into town. I don't want to spring for 2 sets of gear or anything this summer. Will an off-road helmet and boots be too uncomfortable or unsafe for all this?

FYI, I have a couple of places to practice at low speed, and a good friend who teaces an accredited safety class.

2. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

If the majority of your riding will be off-road go ahead and gear up for that. Just make sure you have a street-worthy jacket for your time on the road.

3. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

Thanks T. Have a couple of suggestions on some weather-versatile jackets I can go look at? BTW, the link in your sig line leads to my next bike after I've gained a little experience with the KLR.

4. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

www.newenough.com

You want mesh with a liner. Lots of choices.

The KLR is a good transition to the Connie since your bike is so tall and has a large tank. It's just a LOT more weight.

But it's great to sit behind that big screen and put the miles on.

5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I buy most of my gear at new enough. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

BTW, if you're going to go 70+ mph, consider the aerodynamics of a street versus dirt helmet. I don't know how the helmet visor affects feel at high speeds, but it would concern me.

I'd probably google "dualsport" "forum" and find a message board and do a search to find what experienced dualsport riders use. ;)

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

BMW Motorrad has a line of gears specifically for adventure/dual sport riding. The only problem is that they are quite expensive.

Since that your riding is primarily in the dirt then gear up for the dirt portion. You'll have armors on already. The nylon riding gear should at least give you some sort of abrasion protection for that little jaunt on the street.

7. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

Don't some dirt helmets have a removable visor? If safety or comfort are going to be reduced, I won't be trying to skimp. Hope to have some new-bike pics to display in the next few weeks.

8. wewalkamongyou

wewalkamongyou

Take a look at KLR650.net. It's a great forum. They will have some good ideas over there.

9. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

Man, that's an excellent board. I was thinking thumpertalk.com was all there was. Thanks!

10. shark_za

shark_za Woes

Do you get this kit over in the USA?
    www.richa.be ?

I can vouch for it, but if not there are a lot of options for clothes that can be worn on and offroad.
    Look at the MX style enduro jackets, and pants that are used for going over a boot, like Fox or Thor.
    Some of this kit can be found with good protection on the road.
    Dress for the fall, not the ride.

11. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

In my perusals of the net, none of the larger online stores carry it, nor have I seen it in any of the local dealers. I went to visit my new bike yesterday, but sadly, can't go bring it home until I close on the new casa. I don't want my meager bank balance to dip too much before the loan papers get signed.