GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did the chlorine compromise the mechanical aptitude of said tools....?
If they still work,... use em.
I usually buy bran new tools everytime I fix something, then either throw them in the river or somehow destroy them with fire, whichever makes me feel better at that moment. Can get expensive.
I had a pair of Klein hardened sidecutters at work; had them 12 years before someone else designated them as their own.......
They are rusted so badly it's not possible to change bits. I have a set of the Klein side-cutters as well they are just as great as everything else Klein.

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What do you mean you “fogged” your screwdrivers by spraying them w chlorine mist? You sprayed a cleaning solution on them and they melted? I dont think so! The metal turned to jello? Again they didnt do that either. Whats wrong with them that they no longer work?
Jebus H. Chrysler. 12% chlorine is phenomenally nasty stuff....outside of a lab or industrial use it's tough to get liquid chlorine any stronger.

I didn't say a word about cleaning my tools.

Seat of the pants version........chlorine robs certain metals of electrons leaving oxides/rust behind.

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I work around harsh chemicals and I understand what you are saying, OP.

If they are cheap tools I will trash them.

If they are good tools I will soak, scrub, soak, sand, lube, work, repeat, then finish with a coat of lube.

They can be repaired to like new if you try hard enough. :wavey:
They are great tools but new replacements are very reasonable. The old drivers and all the bits are wrecked.

·
Pinky Out
58,509 Posts
A one time oddball screw-up is all it was. Helped a neighbor kill some black mold (might not have been legit black mold) in his greenhouse. When done I threw a multiple rags soaked in 12% chlorine solution into a small plastic bucket, put a lid on it all to deal with later, forgetting that my two screwdrivers were on the bottom. So ten days later they are toast.
That is a bit more than a dusting.....

Yeah, might have to trash that ratchet.....

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I believe he sprayed them with Sodium Hypochlorite, a liquid that contains chlorine. That stuff corrodes just about anything that isn’t plastic. A ratcheting screwdriver’s innards would be toasted beyond repair if it gets in there. Simple hand wrenches exposed to the stuff rust out quickly and a wire wheel will remove the rust but they are usually left blackened and ugly.

If anyone has a pool and they keep their pool chems inside the garage, NaCIO, no matter how tightly capped will off-gas and corrode everything in the garage.
+1.
Clorox is 4-7.4% sodium hypochlorite. I keep 12% around for my pool and use it to kill mold, mildew etc. all that time. FWIIW the 12% stuff is in a tank poolside and never even enters the garage.

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I grew up in a family of electricians. While I chose another career path, the only hand tools I have are Klein, including my trusty and abused lineman's pliers.

Very sorry for your loss, just replace them with Klein tools. Buy cheap, buy twice.
I just bought three Klein screwdrivers. Two direct replacements for the above and a precision driver.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There's an old electricians saying, and I grew up around them and most of my small tools, tool bags, are Klein.

"IF IT AIN'T KLEIN, IT AIN'T MINE".

·
Registered
407 Posts
In a dim distant past I worked at Potomac Electric Power Company and was computerizing their purchasing department's acquisition process. Found out had to make exceptions for things like Klein tools which were never cheap and were bought in batches of 10 instead of 12 because that's the way German's sold stuff. The managers would not let linesmen use any tools but the best. Especially interesting when working high voltage on a 150' tower.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts