Klein 11-1 screwdriver and 6-1 ratcheting screwdriver both ruined......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Oct 19, 2020.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I love Klein tools. I have a pair of Klein Lineman's pliers from my dad that are at least 45yo and still work great after countless uses and abuses.......as a hammer, trenching tool, pry bar etc.

After many years of trusty-use, I managed to inadvertently fog both screwdrivers with 12% chlorine spray/mist as I didn't know they were not cleaned and now both are wrecked.

Should I simply replace with like Klein items or might there be another brand worthy of a look?

Thx.

PS..........bonus points for anyone who skillfully works in the old thread about rusty Craftsman pliers!

NMG26 and Deanster like this.
  2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I grew up in a family of electricians. While I chose another career path, the only hand tools I have are Klein, including my trusty and abused lineman's pliers.

Very sorry for your loss, just replace them with Klein tools. Buy cheap, buy twice.

NMG26, Deanster, G19Tony and 4 others like this.

3. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

see below...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  4. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

I've always had years of use with Kleins. Don't cheap out, especially if it's your trade.

seanmac45 and orangejeep06 like this.
  5. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

I respect Klein Tools. But I've found many other brands that worked well for me as well. I used to be a Craftsman guy. But that was many many years ago. In these later years we have so many tools if someone wants to borrow one I just give it to them with the advisor that I would not be happy to come by one day and see it out in the weather or in a pile of junk.

railfancwb likes this.
  6. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I’m not an electrician but i do some electrical work around my home and rentals and have been satisfied with Greenlee and Knipex tools in addition to my Klein tools. I agree with @seanmac45 about “buy cheap,buy twice”. It’s been my experience that cheap hand tools either break or get you hurt whereas a quality tool should last long enough to pass down to your children if properly taken care of.

Willard and seanmac45 like this.
  7. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I do not loan out my good hand tools to anyone other than my son. I have tools that are my “seconds” that i’ll loan out to family/friends knowing i may not get it back or it’ll be damaged. Tools and books seldom come back in the condition they were loaned out. :fist: I was taught to take care of my stuff but alot of folks i know seem indifferent to maintaining their possessions in good condition hence the “hey,can i borrow ...?”

Willard, FullClip, SRS and 1 other person like this.
  8. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I tell them if they knew how to use the tool without losing it or screwing it up, they would already own one. Then say no.

Willard, FullClip and orangejeep06 like this.
  9. Z71bill

Z71bill

If you are going to spray them with chlorine just buy tools from Harbor Freight!

10. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Klein or Channel lock.

11. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I prefer Lutz 6 in 1 screwdrivers.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  12. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

Forget all the other adages, I always say "If you are borrowing something, treat it like it is the property of the father of your soon-to-be wife/husband" things. Because I see how people treat their own stuff, and even someone else that they don't know (think about rental cars).

vettely, orangejeep06 and Inyo Tim like this.
  13. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

Did the chlorine compromise the mechanical aptitude of said tools....?
    If they still work,... use em.
    I usually buy bran new tools everytime I fix something, then either throw them in the river or somehow destroy them with fire, whichever makes me feel better at that moment. Can get expensive.
    I had a pair of Klein hardened sidecutters at work; had them 12 years before someone else designated them as their own.......

Inyo Tim likes this.
  14. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Hand tools go in two categories for me. If im keeping it spend a lot and buy American. If I know I'm gonna kill it buy harbor freight.

I have two Klein tools, one of the screwdriver deals like you are discussing, and a pair of side cutters I use on tig wire both are very good tools. Especially the side cutters I use them on a weekly basis for something really beyond their design parameters and never have an issue.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  15. 308M1A

308M1A

What do you mean you “fogged” your screwdrivers by spraying them w chlorine mist? You sprayed a cleaning solution on them and they melted? I dont think so! The metal turned to jello? Again they didnt do that either. Whats wrong with them that they no longer work?

treg, Inyo Tim and Caver 60 like this.
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Kind of what I was wondering. Does this chlorine actually hurt the screwdriver somehow?

Otherwise, this may be the least manly tool thread I have ever seen. More like women discussing jewelry.

Neldon, Caver 60 and 308M1A like this.
  17. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Men are just as bad as women when it comes to accessories.

besides, everyone knows that Proto is better than Klein.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  18. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I work around harsh chemicals and I understand what you are saying, OP.

If they are cheap tools I will trash them.

If they are good tools I will soak, scrub, soak, sand, lube, work, repeat, then finish with a coat of lube.

They can be repaired to like new if you try hard enough. :wavey:

19. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I believe he sprayed them with Sodium Hypochlorite, a liquid that contains chlorine. That stuff corrodes just about anything that isn’t plastic. A ratcheting screwdriver’s innards would be toasted beyond repair if it gets in there. Simple hand wrenches exposed to the stuff rust out quickly and a wire wheel will remove the rust but they are usually left blackened and ugly.

If anyone has a pool and they keep their pool chems inside the garage, NaCIO, no matter how tightly capped will off-gas and corrode everything in the garage.

20. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

A one time oddball screw-up is all it was. Helped a neighbor kill some black mold (might not have been legit black mold) in his greenhouse. When done I threw a multiple rags soaked in 12% chlorine solution into a small plastic bucket, put a lid on it all to deal with later, forgetting that my two screwdrivers were on the bottom. So ten days later they are toast.