GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Klein tools. I have a pair of Klein Lineman's pliers from my dad that are at least 45yo and still work great after countless uses and abuses.......as a hammer, trenching tool, pry bar etc.

After many years of trusty-use, I managed to inadvertently fog both screwdrivers with 12% chlorine spray/mist as I didn't know they were not cleaned and now both are wrecked.

Should I simply replace with like Klein items or might there be another brand worthy of a look?

Thx.

PS..........bonus points for anyone who skillfully works in the old thread about rusty Craftsman pliers!

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
I grew up in a family of electricians. While I chose another career path, the only hand tools I have are Klein, including my trusty and abused lineman's pliers.

Very sorry for your loss, just replace them with Klein tools. Buy cheap, buy twice.

·
rip "Bud"
8,883 Posts
see below...

·
NRA Member
1,375 Posts
I've always had years of use with Kleins. Don't cheap out, especially if it's your trade.

·
rip "Bud"
8,883 Posts
I respect Klein Tools. But I've found many other brands that worked well for me as well. I used to be a Craftsman guy. But that was many many years ago. In these later years we have so many tools if someone wants to borrow one I just give it to them with the advisor that I would not be happy to come by one day and see it out in the weather or in a pile of junk.

Reactions: railfancwb

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I’m not an electrician but i do some electrical work around my home and rentals and have been satisfied with Greenlee and Knipex tools in addition to my Klein tools. I agree with @seanmac45 about “buy cheap,buy twice”. It’s been my experience that cheap hand tools either break or get you hurt whereas a quality tool should last long enough to pass down to your children if properly taken care of.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I respect Klein Tools. But I've found many other brands that worked well for me as well. I used to be a Craftsman guy. But that was many many years ago. In these later years we have so many tools if someone wants to borrow one I just give it to them with the advisor that I would not be happy to come by one day and see it out in the weather or in a pile of junk.
I do not loan out my good hand tools to anyone other than my son. I have tools that are my “seconds” that i’ll loan out to family/friends knowing i may not get it back or it’ll be damaged. Tools and books seldom come back in the condition they were loaned out. :fist: I was taught to take care of my stuff but alot of folks i know seem indifferent to maintaining their possessions in good condition hence the “hey,can i borrow ...?”

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,144 Posts
I do not loan out my good hand tools to anyone other than my son. I have tools that are my “seconds” that i’ll loan out to family/friends knowing i may not get it back or it’ll be damaged. Tools and books seldom come back in the condition they were loaned out. :fist: I was taught to take care of my stuff but alot of folks i know seem indifferent to maintaining their possessions in good condition hence the “hey,can i borrow ...?”
Forget all the other adages, I always say "If you are borrowing something, treat it like it is the property of the father of your soon-to-be wife/husband" things. Because I see how people treat their own stuff, and even someone else that they don't know (think about rental cars).

·
This used to be AMERICA........
1,473 Posts
Did the chlorine compromise the mechanical aptitude of said tools....?
If they still work,... use em.
I usually buy bran new tools everytime I fix something, then either throw them in the river or somehow destroy them with fire, whichever makes me feel better at that moment. Can get expensive.
I had a pair of Klein hardened sidecutters at work; had them 12 years before someone else designated them as their own.......

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hand tools go in two categories for me. If im keeping it spend a lot and buy American. If I know I'm gonna kill it buy harbor freight.

I have two Klein tools, one of the screwdriver deals like you are discussing, and a pair of side cutters I use on tig wire both are very good tools. Especially the side cutters I use them on a weekly basis for something really beyond their design parameters and never have an issue.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I love Klein tools. I have a pair of Klein Lineman's pliers from my dad that are at least 45yo and still work great after countless uses and abuses.......as a hammer, trenching tool, pry bar etc.

After many years of trusty-use, I managed to inadvertently fog both screwdrivers with 12% chlorine spray/mist as I didn't know they were not cleaned and now both are wrecked.

Should I simply replace with like Klein items or might there be another brand worthy of a look?

Thx.

PS..........bonus points for anyone who skillfully works in the old thread about rusty Craftsman pliers!
What do you mean you “fogged” your screwdrivers by spraying them w chlorine mist? You sprayed a cleaning solution on them and they melted? I dont think so! The metal turned to jello? Again they didnt do that either. Whats wrong with them that they no longer work?

·
NRA Life Member
63,383 Posts
Did the chlorine compromise the mechanical aptitude of said tools....?
Kind of what I was wondering. Does this chlorine actually hurt the screwdriver somehow?

Otherwise, this may be the least manly tool thread I have ever seen. More like women discussing jewelry.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Kind of what I was wondering. Does this chlorine actually hurt the screwdriver somehow?

Otherwise, this may be the least manly tool thread I have ever seen. More like women discussing jewelry.
Men are just as bad as women when it comes to accessories.

besides, everyone knows that Proto is better than Klein.

·
Pinky Out
58,482 Posts
I work around harsh chemicals and I understand what you are saying, OP.

If they are cheap tools I will trash them.

If they are good tools I will soak, scrub, soak, sand, lube, work, repeat, then finish with a coat of lube.

They can be repaired to like new if you try hard enough. :wavey:

·
Use it up, throw it away
8,487 Posts
What do you mean you “fogged” your screwdrivers by spraying them w chlorine mist? You sprayed a cleaning solution on them and they melted? I dont think so! The metal turned to jello? Again they didnt do that either. Whats wrong with them that they no longer work?
I believe he sprayed them with Sodium Hypochlorite, a liquid that contains chlorine. That stuff corrodes just about anything that isn’t plastic. A ratcheting screwdriver’s innards would be toasted beyond repair if it gets in there. Simple hand wrenches exposed to the stuff rust out quickly and a wire wheel will remove the rust but they are usually left blackened and ugly.

If anyone has a pool and they keep their pool chems inside the garage, NaCIO, no matter how tightly capped will off-gas and corrode everything in the garage.

·
Registered
15,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are going to spray them with chlorine just buy tools from Harbor Freight!
A one time oddball screw-up is all it was. Helped a neighbor kill some black mold (might not have been legit black mold) in his greenhouse. When done I threw a multiple rags soaked in 12% chlorine solution into a small plastic bucket, put a lid on it all to deal with later, forgetting that my two screwdrivers were on the bottom. So ten days later they are toast.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts