KKM vs. Lone Wolf

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tbone38, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Tbone38

Tbone38

Can any body give me any feedback on these? Im about to buy a 6" barrel for my G20, and I dont know which one to buy. My buddy has the KKM and it is accurate and has full chamber support and the quality seems good. Does the Lonewolf compare? The Lonewolf is about $70 cheaper. I dont mind spending the extra money, but I dont want to if it is not neccesary. I have a 6" factory Glock barrel now but am looking for more chamber support to save my brass.

2. G20gunner

G20gunner

I have a KKM for my G20 and a LW for my G21sf. The KKM runs like a top with any load I use, lead or jacketed. The LW is giving me problems with fully feeding lead loads. Others have been having the same problems. The quality is excellent on the LW barrel, it's just that their chambers can be a little too tight. But you can send your LW barrel back to them with a couple of dummy rounds and they will open the chamber to feed reliably. Quite a few people said they will do it at no charge. I intend to use my LW barrel for 45 Super level loads with jacketed bullets, so it should be ok for that. I may send it later to open it up a bit.

G20gunner:wavey:

3. JBP55

JBP55

Lone Wolf is the best bang for the buck but I prefer the KKM. I have owned several of each.

4. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I was torn between the two, I've read the KKM has a nicer overall finish. I saw one once and it looked like a serious business piece of work.

On a side note, it's my understanding that KKM barrels are made right here in the USA. LWD on the other hand, gets their barrels made from Korea...probably how they can get away with such great prices. IMHO.

DH

5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Been trying to decide between one of these two brand barrels myself. :help:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  6. HOV

HOV

I have two KKM barrels for my G20, and a Lone Wolf for my G23.

KKM 10mm-.40 conversion: super fit and finish, works like a charm except I have a little problem with brass hitting me in the face ONLY when using this barrel. It is very accurate however, and I have zero feed problems.

KKM 10mm drop-in: I bought it to preserve my 10mm brass for reloading, haven't used it yet. I can say this though - the finish on it is amazing. Mirror finish down the barrel.

Lone Wolf .40-9mm conversion: I hate the little cartoon wolf, but you can order it without for a surcharge. This barrel has been flawless in operation. Fit and finish isn't quite to KKM level but it is a fine barrel and works well.

You can't lose with either.

7. tinman517

tinman517

I have no experience with the KKM barrels. However, I have read that they are excellent.

I do have 5 LWD barrels. Two of them are 40-9 conversion barrels, which shoot extremely well and accurately. The other 3 LWD barrels are replacement barrels, one of which is an extended/ported barrel for one of my G23 range guns. They all run flawlessly.

I only use factory ammo. I do not use full lead bullets.

8. 21Glock

21Glock

I just sent my LWD stock length barrel back to get the chamber opened up to feed my cast reload slugs, plus I'm getting a 6" barrel as well to shoot my cast and JHP .45 Super loads as well, both of them will be fixed to feed and chamber these slugs.
    LWD has great barrels, just the chambers are a little too short for some cast slugs.
    I should get these back in about 2-4 weeks.

9. Tbone38

Tbone38

Well, I ordered a KKm 6" barrel for my 20, and a 6" LWD barrel in.357 Sig for my 35. I guess Ill try both.:supergrin:

10. catchthis45

catchthis45 T Streetz

11. plasticpistol

plasticpistol

if I ordered 5 LWD barrels - 1 would be not great, 1 would be ok, 2 would be very good, and 1 would be really really good.

if I orderd 5 KKM's - 3 or 4 would be very good, and 1 or 2 would be really really good.

in my opinion of course

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  12. diode

diode

This has been discussed before on this forum..LWD are made in the USA and there is a possiblity that this info is an internet misrepresentation of the true origin of the LWB product. Sort of like dick size envy. Don't believe? Do a forum search. Lone Wolf is a good American company, this ***** just pisses me off...

jb

13. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Didn't mean to piss you off...don't know why it would. Just what I was told. In any case, I'm just stating what I've both read and heard. I could very well be wrong. But, comparing them to other companies making after market barrels, their prices are very reasonable.

So, when I heard they were made in Korea...it made sense to me that this could very well may be the case. I heard this from several places. If I'm wrong...I'm wrong, and I learned something new.

Again, I hope this didn't piss you off too much. :crying:

DH

14. diode

diode

Oh my gosh, that was not directed at you DH, just a general observation of how the internet can hurt an honest company with an 'urban myth'. Our use of this media can be both benefical and damaging to a company or individual depending on how we use it. My company has been on the butt end of rumors spread on the internet before and there is nothing one can do to stop it unless enough folks care enough to post that the myth is not true. This is what I did here for Lone Wolf, they are a great American company with an outstanding product line and support. (No, I do not work for them but I appreciate any US company that stands behind its domestic manufactured products.) DH, I apologize for my comment *****, I will watch myself a little closer as I tend to have strong feelings against off-shore products.

jb :embarassed:

15. BrianNH

BrianNH

Are the LWD barrels made in the US? Do you know this for certain? My sources tell me different.

16. JBP55

JBP55

Same here.

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I have KKM and LW barrels. Once I had an issue with a LW .40>9mm 6" conversion barrel...left them a message, some guy named "Jr" called me back within the hour to help me get it right.

For MOST of us, either one is a great barrel. For MOST of us, we will never push these barrels to that point where the differences in the barrels matter.

'Drew

18. BrianNH

BrianNH

I agree. I also think when one considers price vs performance, the LWD is the better value.

19. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I completely understand, all good. And to be 100% honest...I read both good and bad things about LWD and KKM. I read reviews and posts from folks who had them both.

Since I didn't have any first hand experience with either of them, I went with KKM because I was under the impression that they were made right here on US soil (I didn't mind paying extra for that), unlike LWD that made barrels imported from Korea (or so I thought).

I ALWAYS try and stick to as many US products as I can and I also try avoid off shore and imported products. I would rather give my hard earned $$ to an American business any day. I do my shopping at mom and pop shops as well. In any case, are you sure the LWD barrels are made here in the US? If I was LWD, I would boast about that aspect when advertising...like a good old "made in the USA" sticker on the packaging.

DH

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  20. fastang80

fastang80

I seriously doubt LWD barrels are made in the US. First of all, I am in no way shape or form trying to bring down LWD because I honestly believe they do make great barrels and without a doubt they are the best bang for your buck but they’re certainly not in the same ballpark as the premium brands.

As some of you may already know the US processes one if not the best steel in the entire World and their quality control is top notch to say the least. It is no coincidence that every other US barrel manufacturer (Bar-Sto, KKM, Jarvis, etc) charges you a premium for their products. You seriously have to kidding yourself if you think LWD can charge you $70-$100+ less for a barrel that is made in US soil using US labor. They could be using the same quality steel as the others (exported) and I don’t doubt it but all things being equal the difference in price can only come from cheap overseas labor.

If you're still in doubt give them a call to see what they’ll say, they'll give you a run around and make it a big secret. Why would anyone on their right mind manufacture their products in the US using the best material, technology and go through rigorous quality control steps only to later make it a big secret. It doesn’t make any sense at all. Is like being the Heavy Weight World Champion but being afraid/shy of anyone seeing you wearing your championship belt or acknowledging being the champ. Makes you skeptical, right?