close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KKM Barrels

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Littlerock, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Littlerock

Littlerock

I am looking into putting together an unlimited G-34. As part of this, I am considering a KKM Barrel with 4-port comp. I have talked with a local shooter who has vast experience in GSSF, but looking for everyones opinion. I would like some solid feedback before I drop $245 on the barrel. SO, Glock 34, Carver mount, 13lb recoil spring with KKM barrel/comp, all opinions welcomed.

2. GJM89

GJM89

I highly recommend a Bar-Sto, handfitted by Irv Stone.

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

4. Littlerock

Littlerock

A local shooter that shoots factory ammo? He on the other hand uses it with factory WWB it seems to work well for him.

I tried a 35 with a KKM barrel and comp, it was more work than it was worth. [/B][/QUOTE]

Can you expand on " more work than it is worth". Ya, you guessed it "FACTORY AMMO TONY" ^2 ^2 ^2 ^9 ^9 ^9.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

If you use factory ammo or hot reloads the comp works, light loads like most of us reloading use won't work the comp and it's easy to end up with malfunctions.

Simple is better, especially if you use a scope and mount. I ran the 35 and played with light loads, didn't work. Well it did provide a great deal of entertainment for my fellow GTers! ;f I ended up with lots of malfunctions, even at matches. If I used hot reloads or factory loads it worked but, I only had marginally better accuracy, muzzle flip was reduced but recoil was higher. I put the factory barrel back in and then used our light loads and shot it that way until I moved to 9MM.

I firmly believe that a soft shooting load with a stock or Barsto barrel is a better, more efficient way to go. And if you reload your brass will last until you lose it.

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

My personal opinion is that a ported barrel in a 9mm is a waste of money. My first choice of a match barrel would be a Barsto hands down. I have a KKM in my G24 and it is very accurate but I also had a KKM 17L barrel and for me with my reloads the Glock Stock barrel was more accurate. Having said that I know where it is currently located and its doing great with WWB 115gr factory ammo. You can get a Barsto barrel for just a very few dollars more than the price you quoted for the KKM and have a much better barrel. If you have Barsto fit it you will spend a few more dollars but well worth it. I got the semi-fitted for my 17L and did the finish fit myself in about an hour and it will shoot a 1 1/2" to 2" group at 25 yards consistantly IF I do my part. If you don't and never will reload the comped barrel may be worthwhile with the factory ammo but then again that is not a guarentee.

Now the Carver Mount choice is a no brainer; it is the finest mount on the market today. As for the 13# spring; that is a good choice and I would recomment ordering them direct from ISMI as I feel they have the best recoil springs on the market.

Just my thoughts. Hey, tell Tony and Donna HI for me when you see them again. Saw they at the San Antonio match but probably wont see either of them again till the Vegas match.

7. pangris

pangris Moderator

Like Don, I have a 24 with a KKM and it has provided excellent results. However, I also have a Caspian slide on that gun and everything is fitted - slide to frame, barrel to everything.

That said, for the money, I'd probably go hand fitted next time with a factory slide next time. Top shooters seem to know what works, and it seems that they are nearly in lock step in suggesting Bar Sto.

I have also played around with Jarvis, FWIW, also good results.

I have zero experience with comps - expect on my S&W M41, a very different beast :)

Paul