close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kitty moving question

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by streeter69, Jan 8, 2006.

1. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

In about 3 weeks I am moving and started to think about how my cats would handle it. My little one is soooo high strung, he runs and hides at any noise;g My old fart @14 is so mellow, but he is old.

Should I pick something up from the vet for them?

2. funbob

funbob do a lil' dance

Some cats hate car rides. Others love them. Even the high strung ones will give up whining after a while and settle down for the trip. I doubt you'll need anything from the vet.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Some cats will panic if kept in a carrier for too long. Air doesn't circulate as well in the cat carrier as the rest of the vehicle in spite of all the holes. If the weather is warm watch them closely. If they start to pant they are overheating or panicking. If it's going to be a long trip you might want to give the vet a call and see what recommendations they have.

I discovered this the hard way when I took my cat to the vet for a checkup. I had to let him out of his carrier to calm him down. Then he fought me tooth and nail when I tried to get him back in the carrier. He eventually settled down in my lap. But driving a stick shift with a cat in my lap is not an experience I would care to repeat.

4. NevisRuprecht

NevisRuprecht

We have been through the process of moving with our two cats twice now. They are not high strung but they were not happy with the experience. So with that some advice:

Bachs Flower Rescue Remedy - is a homeopathic medicine that can be added to your cat’s water and can help calm their nerves. Just a drop or two a day in the water bowl two to three days prior to the move and after they get to the new place. Be aware that cats can and do wig out and may also show signs of misdirected aggression. They may be upset and strike out at you or another animal. Do NOT try to carry them in your arms to “show” them the new place. It might hurt.

Keep your cats in a bathroom the day of the move so they don't see people (strangers) moving all their stuff away. When your ready to walk out the door put them in their crates/carrier. Do not let the cats see the old empty house. Mine went ape**** when they walked through the empty house. Full distress.

When you get to the new place, pick a room and put their toys/beds and scratch pad in there along with other things that they will be familiar with. It isn’t going to help much as they’re going to be upset anyway. They may wish a safe dark place to hide and may not drink or eat for a few days. Kidney damage may develop if a cat stops drinking. Be very watchful for this.

The rest depends on the temperament of your cats. Some adapt within a few days while others take much (very much) longer. My cats took 3 months before they would come out of the bedroom and another three months before they had explored the new house. The male cat wouldn’t eat or drink (the big worry) for a week.

Hope this helps.

Nevis

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Streeter..........

You moving across town or across the state or country???? When I moved aross town into my place, I did not dope the boys up.....but when I take trips to Florida I do dope them.

When you get to your destination make sure you keep the cats INSIDE........they will get out and you will never find them, and they will try and go back to your old home.

What I did was I moved my cats and put them in a room (the bathroom) and shut the door until all the house hold stuff was in the house, then I let them out to explore.

Reassure the cats.......making sure they know you are there to stay, talk to them and assure them they are "ok"........pat and pet them often. I think they will be fine in just a day or 2.........

6. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I've moved twice with my girl, and both times went differently. The first time, we moved into a house where my roommate had two dogs, and my cat was used to being an only child, so to speak. It was traumatic for her, and she took awhile to adjust. She never liked the dogs, but she got to the point where she wasn't afraid of them. Eventually I moved again, to a townhouse where it was just the two of us. She hid in the bedroom closet while we were moving stuff in, then as soon as everyone was gone and she figured out it was our place (and there were no dogs) she was fine almost immediately.

My cat does not travel well. She hates the car and will fight me trying to put her in her carrier, then cry the whole way. If I ever had to take her on a longer trip, I'd probably have to get a sedative from her vet.

7. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Thanks for the replies. I am moving @600 miles and it will be in a a/c vehicle. I am moving household first, then comming back for my kids:)
    I think I will sedate them mildly, Ebony (the old fart) has such a ear pearcing whine;Q

8. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Good luck with that. I hope the "kids" do okay.:)

9. SkyStorm82

SkyStorm82 DSG

I drove both of mine all the way from North Carolina to California when I got out of the service. I NEVER want to do that again. I ended up getting a decent size dog kennel and rigged up a flat piece of wood in the middle of the top and bottom half. This second floor was about half the length of the kennel. Then I threw a small litter box on the bottom half.

Oh...I had to drug my cats too.

NEVER AGAIN!!!;g