GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
8,816 Posts
I use Mercer and Victorinox.

And I’m a steel snob. Both sharpen up pretty easily and hold an edge for as long I’d reasonably expect them to.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Another Henkels fan here. I have the 4 star series. Lower to Middle of the road in price. The handles are very comfortable for me and nicely balanced.
My gf is a wustoff fan so we have 2 sets of knives in the house.
I like the steel of the wustoffs but the handles are way too skinny for me.
The way a knife feels in your hands means a lot

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My "budget".... as so graciously implied by Bren's kind and insightful comment, is not very large for indulging in nifty kitchen knives. It depends upon whether I get the best I can reasonably afford *this moment* vs. pick, plan, and purchase after saving toward it/them. Being fiscally responsible is just so ....:ender: <snarfle>

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
My "budget".... as so graciously implied by Bren's kind and insightful comment, is not very large for indulging in nifty kitchen knives. It depends upon whether I get the best I can reasonably afford *this moment* vs. pick, plan, and purchase after saving toward it/them. Being fiscally responsible is just so ....:ender: <snarfle>
If you want to save up, I've been wanting a Yu Kurosaki really bad.

The particular type I'm wanting (super blue steel with kurouchi finish) is always sold out.

You should Google him. His knives are beautiful.
DSC00360_large.jpg

·
JAFO
13,801 Posts
I would start with a good 8 or 10" Chefs knife and go from there, add a decent paring, bread and slicer down the road. Ninety percent of your cutting can be done with a Chefs knife.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn18.html

·
JAFO
13,801 Posts

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
I was going to suggest Heinkel 5 star. But I think that is discounted. They are awesome.

The 4 star and lower I would not recommend

The Bob Kramerv designed Henkels are nice but too expensive for me.

Reactions: MB-G26

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
3CDD0C2E-BED6-41CA-84D1-357F00B9971B.jpeg

Wusthof 200th anniversary set. If you EVER find a set, BUY IT!

I bought three. Wish I had bought a dozen.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,280 Posts
Been using this set of Henckles for about 8 years now. Very satisfied with this set. Liked them so much I bought a set for each of the sisters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=cd68e350a37dbb8241631fe621802dad&th=1

Review of the set here.
https://www.nothingbutknives.com/best-kitchen-knife-sets-under-300/#zwiljahen11pc

15 degree edge mean they can be wicked sharp, but also means it is easier to turn an edge on a bone. Use your steel often when deboning.

Pro's: Very easy to sharpen, with good blade geometry. Blade is very corrosion resistant. Good value for the money. Thin blade profile is great for delicate cuts.

Con's: Stamped blade instead of forged (explains the price). The thin blade profile makes it easier to turn an edge on bone.

I also like that the block has room for steak knives, but you are not stuck with steak knives you either A: Don't like, or B: Don't want to pay for.

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
I know kitchen knives have been discussed here a few times over the years, but alas, GT search function still hates me. I recalled "Cutco" so I looked on ChynaZon.com.... wholey moley! So Not a Happening Thing money wise :(

Ya get whatcha pay for and all that aside.... any brands, etc., recommendations for the really economically minded?

Grazie! :)
Rada

You can see what all they have here at the link, then shop where ever you want.
https://www.radacutlery.com/

THESE ARE INEXPENSIVE but they are also GOOD KNIVES. We have all the "brand name" chef recommended knives demanded when my wife was taking culinary classes. WE USE RADA. They are awesome, sharp, stay sharp, are easy to sharpen, and last for EVER.

Reactions: MB-G26

·
Firm member
29,908 Posts
We were given a nice set of five stars as a wedding present and they served us well for over twenty-five years until my wife developed hand problems and they simply became too heavy. We switched to Shun classics and never looked back. Pricey, but not too bad if you build a set over time. HH
3C97F17E-7245-47DF-B41A-93D77683DE77.jpeg

·
Process Engineer
4,394 Posts
My brother bought me this last year for Christmas I absolutely love it, well balanced, holds a edge and perfect weight. J.A. Henckels made in Germany. Very reasonably priced.
IMG_0443.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Yeppers, in this area I am extremely untrained :(
Gonna have to pursue some self-education in this area for sure. I have a steel and such (tho I 'spect it's worn out by now) but no proper stone, etc.
There's an old story about me, dull vs. sharpened knives, pre-warnings of recently sharpened knives, and a famous howl coming from the kitchen :innocent: :embarrassed:
No matter what brand you buy, you have to maintain the edge. So get whatever floats your boat, but be aware that you have to keep them sharp.

Reactions: 61176

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
My brother bought me this last year for Christmas I absolutely love it, well balanced, holds a edge and perfect weight. J.A. Henckels made in Germany. Very reasonably priced.
That is a good looking knife, and I appreciate the info! But, klutz that *I* am, I HAVE to ask about that Band-Aide finger.... :faint:
20201129_011309.jpg

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I snagged some kitchen items last week that I needed from a similar type place called Beall's Outlet. Handy place!

Not a Chef but I would recommend a Marshall's or Ross type store for closeout. I got two nice cleavers that way

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 98 Posts