GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
26,559 Posts
I sharpen knives and other stuff professionally, when I'm not too lazy. The Victorinox knives are the best value out there.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I bought a really nice handling Victorinox butcher knife and liked it so much I ordered a couple chefs knives. Not expensive and great weight and balance. Very impressed for the pricepoint.
Been using one for a couple years. Very good knife for the money.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Tramontina Proline. I bought a set a few years ago at Costco but I've seen them on Amazon as well. Economical but utilitarian. Not fancy at all but more like what you might find in a commercial kitchen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree. Best, sharpest and easiest to keep sharp. I have a nearly full set but I can't use them anymore. My Wife doesn't understand that they can't be put in the dishwasher and I don't trust her to use and maintain them. Same with my cast iron cookware. She is only allowed to use certain pans because she has warped cast iron before putting the burner on high. :fist:
Damn. I love to use cast iron and I'm just getting a skillet back to good after it rusted pretty bad after a crappy storage unit with a leaky roof leaked directly on it for about a year. Ugh

I feel ya on being selfish from the family. It's a bit of a running joke in my family how I lecture them frequently on how to care for cast iron.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Damn. I love to use cast iron and I'm just getting a skillet back to good after it rusted pretty bad after a crappy storage unit with a leaky roof leaked directly on it for about a year. Ugh

I feel ya on being selfish from the family. It's a bit of a running joke in my family how I lecture them frequently on how to care for cast iron.

No one here will wash them. That falls to me even though I have explained just use some hot water. None of our pots, pans, skillets, or knives (aside from butter knives) ever go into the dishwasher. That’s the quickest way to wreck good cutlery and cookware.

·
Registered
19,187 Posts
What ever the seed company/bank gives away. I am a cheap bastige.

Reactions: MB-G26 and ZekerMan

·
Director of civil unrest
9,236 Posts

"I'm not a child!" Does that ring a bell? :eek:uttahere:

·
Firm member
29,897 Posts
Also check local thrift stores. I'm always looking for vintage audio equipment and there was a set of Kyocera ceramics at one here run by the Lutherans. Almost tempted, but my experience with ceramic knives has been less than rewarding. HH

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have a Mercer Millenia 8" chef's knife that cost less than $15 from Amazon and has become one of my favorites. The handle is comfy, the blade is versatile and low maintenance, and... what else is there? A higher-priced knife would stay sharper, longer, but I don't mind a minute or two of sharpening before each meal.

The price is now up to $18, FWIW.

·
Registered
14,557 Posts
Not a Chef but I would recommend a Marshall's or Ross type store for closeout. I got two nice cleavers that way

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: MB-G26

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Wow! I truly appreciate all the helpful replies!
Thanks muchly :)

41 - 60 of 98 Posts