GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Things get a bit more complicated when you look at Japanese knives. There is a lot of detail concerning Japanese knives that I won't get into.
I love Asian knives. If you harvest a carrot on the south side of a hill on a Tuesday, I think the Japanese have a knife just for that. On the other hand the Chinese will use the same cleaver to do everything from frost a cake to lay brick.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I bought the wife a Japanese "Guyto" chef's knife. They are made in various lengths and different steels. I ordered from Chefs Knives To Go (I think). It came direct from Japan and was less than $100 as I recall.

It is her most cherished knife. It has just the right ergonomics and and will sharpen to a razor edge. The Japanese have the kitchen knife technology down pat!
CJ

·
Come on man!!
14,736 Posts
For the price it is real hard to beat Victorinox Fibrox. There is a video on line by America’s Test Kitchen where they sent one to a lab at MIT to have it tested. The guy there explained why the steel is so good.
I was a meat cutter for five years at Winn-Dixie and that is the brand we used. They held a pretty good edge.

I know kitchen knives have been discussed here a few times over the years, but alas, GT search function still hates me. I recalled "Cutco" so I looked on ChynaZon.com.... wholey moley! So Not a Happening Thing money wise :(

Ya get whatcha pay for and all that aside.... any brands, etc., recommendations for the really economically minded?

Grazie! :)
As I just explained, I was a professional meat cutter for a while and this is what I use...

https://www.samsclub.com/p/bakers-chefs-boning-knives-2-pk/prod5250046?xid=plp_product_3

https://www.samsclub.com/p/bakers-chefs-cook-s-knives-2-pk/prod5250044?xid=plp_product_4

Buy this to sharpen them...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smith-s-Smith-s-Gourmet-Diamond-EdgeGrip-51181/939317743

That's what I use and they accomplish every task you can do in the kitchen besides breaking through bones. I can afford more expensive, nicer, options but I just don't need nicer options when these work so well.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
I bought a really nice handling Victorinox butcher knife and liked it so much I ordered a couple chefs knives. Not expensive and great weight and balance. Very impressed for the pricepoint.
Victorinox for the win. Reasonably priced, good steel. They are sharp and will hold an edge. Light weight. Get the 10 inch chefs knife. Cutlery and More has them.

When you do need to sharpen them, get a good diamond stone and know what you are doing. They will last forever.

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
My wife really likes her Cutco knives.
I use my Benchmade. It kind of ticks her off when I do, but that is half the fun of it. :)

Reactions: MB-G26 and ZekerMan

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I wanted to spend the bigger money and get some lifetime knives. My wife vetoed that and bought some called Emojoy on Amazon. We've had them six months and are quite pleased with them. About $60 or so for the full set with steak knives and a wooden block.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yup....I bought a set of Old Hickory knives when I moved into the house 36 years ago...they still cut everything I want to cut or carve. I don't do sushi, so no need for anything fancy.
Over 20 years ago someone gave is a full set of OH stainless knives. Still using them today. But that carbon steel just can’t be beat for getting an edge on and slicing through meat.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We bought Henkel’s knives 22 years ago. They do need to be sharpened quite a bit due to my wife’s inability to use a knife correctly. She is hell on the last 1/2 inch of the blade towards the tip.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Those are real nice. I like the Ikon line myself although I can't afford them. The fourteen piece block set is quite appealing.
We were given an Ikon set in culinary school. Great knives but I cut the “pommel” off of the Chefs knife. It was just a block of metal on the end of the knife that threw the balance off when I was rock chopping. My instructor thought I was nuts until he tried it.

My cut chefs knives compared to an uncut bread knife.

image.jpg

·
NRA Life Member
1,313 Posts
Get some Old Hickory knives and be done. Oh, they aren't the pretty designer knives that will impress your friends, they are just good knives that will last your lifetime.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Did I mention Cutco before? :). Buy 10 cheap knives or 1 Cutco, same cost.
not a fan of MLM bull****, I don’t care if their product is good.

There are better knives for much cheaper without their **** business model.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts