close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kiss that career goodbye - CSP officer arrested for DUI while on duty

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by The-Fly, Mar 22, 2010.

1. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=135061&catid=339

DOUGLAS COUNTY - A Colorado State Patrol Trooper, driving a marked patrol car, was taken into custody for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol Monday morning.

Forty-eight-year-old David Dolan, a 21-year veteran, has been booked on charges of DUI and prohibited use of weapons.

A spokesperson for Douglas County Sheriff's Office says Douglas County dispatch received multiple calls from people reporting that a marked Colorado State Patrol vehicle was driving erratically northbound on Interstate 25, just before the Castle Rock area.

Dolan was pulled over at Platte Canyon and C-470 around 7:05 a.m., shortly after a Douglas County deputy spotted his car driving westbound on C-470 at Santa Fe.

Dolan, who was in full uniform, was arrested and is being held at Douglas County Detention Center.

SKY9 flew above the area of westbound C-470 and Santa Fe just after 7 a.m. where the patrol car was stopped by Douglas County Sheriff's deputies.

SKY9 video showed a state trooper being taken out of the patrol car and walked by deputies to the deputies' vehicle where he was handcuffed and put in the back of the vehicle.

CSP released the following statement after confirming the incident and announcing a criminal investigation.

"I am very concerned and disturbed regarding the events of this morning. The Colorado State Patrol takes any violation of law and/or policy seriously and we will move quickly and thoroughly through this administrative investigation.

"While any violation of law is serious, this alleged act is very concerning given the nature of the mission of the Colorado State Patrol. We have a 75 year history of combating impaired and drunken driving and are deeply committed to eradicating this senseless crime on our roads,"Colonel James Wolfinbarger, Chief of the Colorado State Patrol, said.

Dolan has been placed on unpaid administrative leave.

2. CW Mock

CW Mock

What a moron ... if he's not DUI/DUID, then there had better be a good damn reason for what happened ... because everyone I know is pretty pissed off about it. I have my fingers crossed for something good, but yeah, not going to hold my breath.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010

3. Gangrel

Gangrel

Doesn't say he was on duty... just in uniform/car. Probably went to a bar after work at got hammered.

4. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Wow. What a dumb-***.

5. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Or maybe it was a medical condition. Not saying cops dont do stupid things but the media also like to take any officer story they can and blow it up too.

6. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

You know what sucks, the poor sheriffs deputies who had to cuff him. I'm sure that wasn't fun to do.

7. CW Mock

CW Mock

I bet not. The news pictures from the chopper showed our guys there with them. Much better IMHO to let the Sheriff handle all of that stuff, and just tell us what the results of any testing come out to be.

8. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

It was definitely an irresponsible thing to do, at least he didn't hurt anybody. I'm sure it really stung for them to have to arrest one of their own. Just goes to show that cops are people too.

9. CW Mock

CW Mock

Somebody was telling me they just read "DUI, DUI Per Se, and Weapons Charges" in an article.

*cue flushing noise*

Wonder how a selections guy got a Charger? What a mess!

10. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

If he was drunk, he deserves every bad thing that comes to him.

11. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Doubt it was a medical issue or he wouldn't have been arrested. Too bad, poor decision gonna cost him plenty.

12. wct097

wct097

Could have been drugged without his knowledge.

13. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Defense attorney- Your honor, my client was not under the influence, and I will prove that someone slipped a "roofie" into his diet pop while he was in the restroom at the bar, and it was not his fault he smelled of alcohol, failed SFSTs, and was in a bar in uniform in the first place.:faint:

14. blueiron

blueiron

Someone will be along shortly to chastize the OP for this story.

15. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I think I've heard of diabetics having sugar issues getting arrested before it all got sorted out. Could have arrested him and wouldn't find out until they draw blood at the hospital, or at least a breathalyzer. Don't think that mimics the smell of alcohol though, not seeing if that was there in the article.

Randy

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Being an insulin dependent diabetic for almost 20 years, and having arrested quite a few, what I thought were DUI's in the same condition, I can attest to the fact that taking too much insulin or taking insulin without eating shortly after will closely mimic the characteristics of a DUI. Slurred speech, memory loss, lack of balance and coordination and although the breath doesn't smell of alcohol the breath takes on a very unpleasant odor.

The main difference between the two is if you leave a drunk alone he will sober up... leave a diabetic with insulin induced low blood sugar alone and he will die... very quickly.

I would like to believe he had a medical condition that wasn't caused by a bending elbow... we'll see.

Jack

17. CW Mock

CW Mock

I have been pretty busy, but a friend of mine at work today said he read "per se" someplace, which means that there was A) breath test, and B) it was over 0.08 BrAC on the results. Have not been able to confirm that, and we aren't being told anything, just to say no comment and send it to public affairs. I am sure something will come out eventually, just because the media is rabid when it comes to cops doing anything, but it seems worse when its DUI, and a Trooper of all people is involved.

I hope it was something like diabetes. I would really, really like to hope a 21 year vet Trooper would be smart enough not do go out DUI, let alone in a patrol car and in uniform. That's just mind boggling to me at least, but then again ...

ETA the per se thing was some media scrote making **** up as usual.

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I remember several occasions "drunks" being brought to the jail that turned out to be diabetics... It does happen. Also remember quite a few drunks who claimed to be diabetic, but they also smelled of alcohol..

The article was updated 40min ago, and its still showing him charged w/ DUI... I would think if this was a diabetic issue, they would probably have some idea of it by now...

IGF

19. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

The reason I'm speculating it couldn't be a diabetic or other medical episode is that the guy is an on duty cop. What other on duty cop is going to hook a uniformed, on patrol officer unless that cop is 100% sure the other one is a DUI? Can you imagine the ****storm that would unleash between the two departments if he was wrong?

20. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

+1

There are a few departments just within the metro Detroit area that have ongoing fueds due to one copper writing another a skid from nearly a decade ago, so I've gotta figure that every concievable possibility was exhausted prior to hooking him up.

I've dealt with a few diabetics that you weren't going to tell me weren't drunks, until I saw the breath/blood tests, so I can see how that could happen, but for this story, it just sounds like we're grasping at straws. I've said it before and I'll say it again (I'm sure), but if you put yourself in front of the crosshairs that blatantly, there's not much I can do for you.