Kindness or cruelty

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by sparky1, Sep 5, 2007.

1. sparky1

sparky1 Guest

I have a friend who has horses. 9 to be exact. One of which is a 21 years old gelding. He foundered 2 years ago. For the last year he has not been on his feet at all. He has bed sores on his hip bones 4 inches across where he lays in the stall every day. They have bandages on these to keep the flies off. He wears a fly mask to keep the flies away from his eyes. The stalls are kept cleaner then my house. Stalls are cleaned every day. New pine shavings every day. He has food and water beside him where he can get to it.

Question: Is this kindness or cruel? I feel bad for the horse. He does not seem to be hurting or in pain. They fired a worker for mentioning putting him down.

What would you do?

2. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

IMO, the animal should be put down. Although the humans are doing it to be kind, the animal is hurting more than they understand.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight

I don't know much about horses, but that doesn't seem like much in the way of a 'quality life': laying down in a stall, unable to get up and move around; open sores, etc, etc.

It's time to euthanize this poor horse; he has to be suffering, even it it isn't obvious.

4. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, I would have that poor horse put down. It would be very selfish not too.