Kindle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Alchemy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I'm in the market for an e-reader and was looking at one. The question that I have are they totally proprietary to Amazon? Maybe there are other e-readers that are better. What do the members on GT use, and how many free d/l sites are there.

2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Kindle seems to be the best by far. There is a converter called calibre that will convert books between formats because I believe it doesn't read epub format.

3. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

There's an app for that. You can read e-books on just about any device and I think there's a program that lets you use a PC too. I've got an older Kindle and it suits me fine.

4. BMH

BMH Lifetime Member

There is a Kindle App that you can download to an ipad/iphone and read books you download from Amazon.com.

5. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

You can also download an app like "Overdrive" and check out books from your local library. For free - if you have a library card.

6. powernoodle

powernoodle

I do Kindle, though I still like and buy real books. But the Kindle is nice for portability, and the ability to buy instantly and from any location. On vacation and want a book? Boom. You can also read Kindle books on the computer or Android device, and some Kindle books allow your device to read it out loud to you in a computer voice.

I still prefer real books, because I don't trust Jeff Bezos, but there is a high level of convenience with Kindle.

Bill Keith likes this.
  7. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Thanks a lot for your positive input on the Kindle and the apps. I was so afraid that I would be married to Amazon. :highfive:

8. maxmanta

maxmanta

9. tom mac

tom mac

Kindle app on my Ipad, Android phone and PC ... allows you to sync your reading so the book is the same page across platforms.
    Kindle prgm on the PC allows you to right click on almost any file and "send to kindle"

Calibre is the best free convert prgm out there as mentioned
    https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: AZW, AZW3, AZW4, CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, DOCX, FB2, HTMLZ, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PMLZ, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ, ZIP

10. AzItLies

AzItLies

You wouldn't be. Amazon kindle also has a kazillion books available for download free. Mostly the classics, such as 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoyevsky.

If you have something in PDF format, the kindle can read it. You would have to side load it onto the Kindle from your computer. Or, you could send it to the specific email address that kindle gives you, put in the title 'CONVERT' and they will convert it to AZW3 format and send it back.

As already mentioned, a free app called 'Calibre' is very valuable also. It converts almost any format to any other format. I wouldn't be without it. It can also find 'meta-data' for you books that didn't come with it... like different cover pages etc etc.

Love my kindle, absolutely the best e-reader ever!

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite to read more. It worked. I do a book or two a month, and have used the device every single day, and some days all day. Because the charge of the device is independent of anything useful other than displaying books, I'm not afraid to fall asleep and leave it on. I have really only ever intentionally charged it when I was going camping or out of town for a lengthy period. The rest of the time it was just charged on the USB cable while I was transferring files to it.

The device itself is sort expensive for a one-trick-pony, e-books are MASSIVELY overpriced, but I love it. It's superbly convenient. The battery life is amazing. It's super durable, even without a case. If mine stopped working right now, I'd order another one with overnight shipping.

If you want to read magazines and use apps, snag a Kindle Fire. They are not the best tablets on the market, but they are stupid cheap when they go on sale.

If you want to read books, get a Kindle Paperwhite. E-ink is bar none the best reading experience on an electronic device. The device itself is married to Amazon, but not as long as your have a computer.

On the computer, with Calibre and a particular plug-in, you can purchase titles from Amazon or other sources and convert them to be compatible with any of your devices.

There's more discussion back in https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/kindle.1601015/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  12. Teasip

Teasip

I bought a Fire last year, purchased the minimum memory size (8MB as I recall) and then bought a Samsung memory card with 64GB of memory. Watched movies that I had downloaded, read books, and surfed web using device while on vacation/flight. If I were to lose the device, the memory card cost more than the device itself! You can get a free file app that allows you to transfer photos/videos from home computer (Mac in my case) to the device. I've got a rigid thin shell for the back/sides that I think I paid <$10 for. I'm in for whole thing at $100.

13. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

I've had a Kindle for several years and love it. In fact, I do almost all of my reading on it.

14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink

Kindles are terrific. No question about it. Buy the lastest version you can afford.

15. Lvs1935

Lvs1935

The Kindle is great. I really like the display on it. It's easy on my eyes.

16. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I have an old Kindle, and I have the app on my iPad and on my phone. The iPad is the easiest for me to use because it has the biggest screen. I love having my books in a digital format, because I long ago ran out of room to shelve any more of the real thing...