Kimber Ultra Carry 11 round got jammed ................

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by hd67xlch, Mar 19, 2017.

1. hd67xlch

hd67xlch

I have a Kimber UC11 which Ive owned for at least 5-6 years and have never had any issues with it. Today at the range after about 75 rounds out of 100 of Winchester white box 230 grain ammo I had this round get hung up on I believe the slide stop. After freeing the round I continued to shoot the rest of the box with no issues. Is this a gun failure or a ammo failure of some kind? The round never made it into the chamber completely, and I couldnt tell for sure what dug into it till I dis lodged it. Sorry the pics are not better. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

It can't really get caught on the slide stop. Was it half loaded or a stove pipe ??

3. quantico

Was it near the first or last round in the magazine??

4. hd67xlch

hd67xlch

Not a stove pipe, it was the 5th round in a 7 round Kimber magazine, the only reason I thought slide stop, was when I dissasembled the gun the gash in the brass fit pretty much right into the slide stop. It was wedged in really tight, I couldnt break it free with my hands, had to push the slide into a piece of wood to get to release backwards, then it didnt eject it fell through the bottom of the handle. Thanks.

5. quantico

I would keep shooting it and see if you have other issues. Could just be an odd problem.

6. quantico

Keep track if one magazine has additional issues..

7. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

That's the reason we have malfunction drills.

If a man made it, it will fail...

I agree with shoot some more and observe! :)

8. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

Are the dimensions of the round outsized? I have had rounds that are too large for the chamber to accomodate. When they wedge in-it is very difficult to back them out. I think you had an out of spec round.

Pierre! likes this.
  9. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Am I senile or are there no pix?

Taco Junkie likes this.
  10. PATRIOTFAN

PATRIOTFAN

You are not senile. I don't see any pictures either.

11. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

It would be bigger news if you had a Kimber Ultra that didn't jam :)
    Mine was certainly a pos.

12. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I have had 4-5 of them. My Super Carry Ultra had some issues rubbing the slide stop up before the mag was empty, little filing, easy peasey. My Ultra Carry in 9mm has bee flawless to date.

13. bbradt.blakeley@gmai

[email protected]

Yes it can be moved by slide stop, A known kimber issue even i ran into was slide stop, very easy ajustment or order new stop!
    My first top shelf Kimber had two issues, week mag springs and slide stop, I like kimber promags the best of all mags now, All that follower sales stuff is crap, only time follower affects a round is last round, spring pressures very important... i shoot all +p or supers now, and it feeds cheep ball all day, ! Matter of fact it has never ever stoped ever!! Other than first 8 rounds, slide stop, mag spring..

Please dont buy your way thru issues, look and learn, ive been repairing weapons 45 years, all my stuff is 100%. Good luck to u all!!

14. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

So did you buy a slide stop and mag spring?

15. bbradt.blakeley@gmai

[email protected]

What happened were a few things, i stopped and looked it over well!
    Ball ammo would lightly bump into the inside knoby shaped part of slide stop, 1, moving round a hair. Some ammo would bump stop, lifting it a very small amount and lock slide ta rear, looking like stoppage at first,2

After cleaning that up, problem stopped but Kimber knew, so i told them i wanted new stop lever.
    Yes, i argued about mag spring because i only shoot top power loads, sometimes last rnd would come loose on recoil...
    They sent extra power spring , but at same time they were just starting to sell there kimpro mags, all i use now,
    Most every problem is a weak spring with full power loads, reguardles of followers, all the mag guys use extra power springs, real reason they work better, not follower which is burried 8 rnds down, has Zero efect,
    And i know yall love wilson but that follower delays rear of round sliping up breach face because of trough in follower!, if pistols working correct, each round is quickly lifted and pushed up across and under breach face under extractor claw, u can ck this holding a round in mag with thumb and slowly pushing round forward, about halfway it jumps up in rear, in exact time ta be pushed up breach face...
    Wilsons has a thing you can read about deburring bottom edge and face of breach edge and face so round slides up easy, Other ppl have there ways also, im not a wilson hater or unliker! Bur Mr Browning had it correct back then....

I use all extra power mag springs, even on WW2 mags from gun shows in the 70s. Lol

Ill stop there, writting a book now sorry..... be safe, join NRA

Lets hope we can move ahead with Mr Trump ... be well..

16. quantico

Well there are no pictures.. the other question is not related... and has not been answered.