close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kimber SS 10mm or Glock 20

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jimmy P, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Jimmy P

Jimmy P

once again I am torn between the two. I don't know but the gun shop says the kimber is more accurate, but it is heavy! The Glock is $570, the Kimber $919.00 both new. Which one should I buy?

2. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

For what purpose?

Home and woods defense - the G20 for sure. Hunting, either, but the edge to the Kimber due to accuracy and better sights.
    Don't underestimate the accuracy of the factory Glock. I have an extensive 10mm collection and with the exception of a couple of match guns, my 2nd gen G20 was just as accurate. However, my G20 3rd gen isn't quite as accurate... Could be the luck of the draw...

3. Clarkbar

Clarkbar Tool of the Man

You're going to want BOTH eventually.

I started out with the G20, and that's probably a safe bet. Then, I got my 610 for myself as a graduation present from Robin Sage. Then, while overseas, I ordered my Delta Elite, G20L slide, and my Coharie Arms MP5/10 clone SBR.

I love all of them, but I really wish my Delta had all of the custom 1911 bells-and-whistles. It's really just a plain jane M1911 with a Commander hammer. The Kimber Eclipse is nearly loaded with features and only lacks a magwell, IMHO. I don't like the front cocking serrations, but YMMV, of course.

4. Jimmy P

Jimmy P

I have a G30 and with the reduced weight trigger spring I can shoot it OK but not as well as a SIG firing the SIG single action. Would the full size G20 be easier to hit with (hunting open sights) than the G30? I read an article in Boar Hunting magazine and Tedd Nuggent used a Kimber.

5. SAWMAN

SAWMAN

For hunting or range "work",the Kimber Stainless Target II has ajustable sights and the Eclipse does not.

Also with the G20 having a 16 shot capability it will weigh as much(if not more) than the Kimber.

Don't know your application,but for me,while out scouting for the larger boar hogs,in the thick stuff,it is very comforting to know that you have a G20 and 15+1 strapped to your hip.(especially stuffed w/ DT's)

6. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever 10mm Pusher

+1! You can also drop in a Lonewolf 6 inch barrel(90 bucks)for increased ballistics when your in the woods. 16 rounds of DT 180/200gr. XTP's is pretty comforting when you're in the thick. I also like the increased muzzle heft of the extended pipe.

7. Jimmy P

Jimmy P

I guess I am more concerned with hitting where I aim so the high capacity is very nice but I am more interested in how easy is it to hit an intended target such as a 150 pound or so ferel pig in the boiler room at 35 yards. I don't think I could make a good 30 yard shot with my G30. Also the .45ACP is not the flattest shooting thing out there even with the Barnes 185 grain TSX bullets...

8. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

I believe the G20 is capable of that if you are. Ive shot numerous 4in groups (5shots) off hand at 40yds. I shot an 8shot 4.25in group measured outside to outside about a week ago offhand at 40yds.My record is a 2.5in 5 shot group at 35yds offhand which i will never duplicate. I also keep most all my targets for all my guns. My G20 has been more accurate then any Glock i have owned.

9. Jimmy P

Jimmy P

Was this a factory or handload? Do you use an optical sight or open sights? Just curious how your gun was set up and what your gun liked regards ammunition. Nice shooting!

10. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Meprolite sights. Its a .165 width i believe. Its wide when looking at a target at that distance but i also have some Warren .115 sights and i do just as good with the Meps. I think its because being wide my concentration is easier to maintain. Ammo was GA arms 180gr FMJ but ive shot with several brands Blazer 200gr Gold dots 180 and 155. For hunting the XTPs have been plenty accurate. I will post some pics if you like to give you an idea.

35yds
    [​IMG]

28yds This was with Blazer 200gr TMJ
    [​IMG]

25yds
    [​IMG]

31yds..Missed the black but you get an idea of the accuracy. This is with a Stormlake barrel
    [​IMG]

This one is either 60 or 70yds. Id have to find it in my file. 5.5in offhand. I missed the black but again you can see the potential.
    [​IMG]

I have more if you like. These are all in yards measured with a Lufkin tape measure and Nikon range finder offhand.

11. SAWMAN

SAWMAN

With the DT 200gr WFN I am gettin' the same accuracy at the 20-35 yd ranges. This using my OEM 6" bbl, a 22# spring, and SS guiderod.

The 200gr Blazer shoots to the same POI,as does the DT 180gr XTP's.

Can't beat that,in my book.

My weapon is strickly for hunting hogs and deer.

To me it's like this ---> how far out can you put every shot into a 6" pie plate,offhand, or at the most,using a tree for support. This while trying to hold your breath ?? Real world hunting !!

12. Cam Cooke

Cam Cooke

I have both a Colt Delta Elite and a G20, the Colt is far more accurate than the G20 but the G20 is far more reliable than the Colt.

A fellow actually needs both...

If I was going to start over again I would get the G20 first drop in a KKM/Barsto/LoneWolf or some other popular brand barrel with a fully supported chamber.

I am now planning on retiring my Colt (I've had it since 1987) and I'm now trying to decide on either a G29, a Kimber or a Dan Wesson to replace it...

Decisions... Decisions...

13. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

I would say that the Glock is more rugged and reliable but the 1911 is more accurate, both relatively speaking and intrinsically speaking. I, personally, would go with the 1911 and get the Glock later since you can always get the Glock.

14. Jimmy P

Jimmy P

Thank you Reyn for your target posting. I am going with the Glock 20, it is half the price, and the accuracy of the pistol is good enough for my intended use.

15. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Good choice. Be sure to give us a range report.

16. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Very nice groups, Reyn. :thumbsup: Great shooting on your part, but it also demonstrates just what an inherently accurate cartridge we have in the 10mm AUTO. :)

17. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Thanks agtman. I found your DT review last year on Bren-ten. Great report.

18. oldnavy

oldnavy

Here is the best buy for 10 mm on the market, Tanfoglio Witness series (made iin Italy) emported by EAA to the US. I paid $350 for mine new, and I have a 45 ACP conversion for the gun. I can only say you would not belive the quality of these guns, finishes are not as good as a Kimber. But then what do you expect for $400 these days. Mine is the Wonder Finish (special heat treated SS) as in the picture. Never a malfunction and loves the hot loads. Down side is 37 oz empty, but you don't have to fight recoil.

[​IMG]

The one I would love to have for hunting is the 10 mm Hunter with 6" barrel.

[​IMG]

This Witness Match is what is next for me in 10 mm barn burners.

[​IMG]

These guns have trigers to rival Kimber or Para customs even on the cheapest DA models. Everyone I have shown my Witness to has bought one of the beast. Heck I started out looking for Glock 10 mm when I ran across this CZ clone and fell in love.

My Witness 10mm is now my car gun.:supergrin:

Why? Because I may want to do anything from shoot through a car, to bring down a Grizzly bear. :thumbsup:

19. spober

spober

No knock on the g20(i own a g31 and have owned mulit other glocks i like them alot)but my Colt Delta Elite feels so sweet .The 1911 platform is perfect for the 10mm.

20. oldnavy

oldnavy

Since the 1911 45 ACp was my first center fire pistol and having owned them off and on for over 40 years (all Colt's), I have come to the opinion the CZ style platform is far better for the 10mm then 1911 pistols.

Second choice would be a Glock as current list of mfg's go today.