kimber 10 or glock 10?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cgcox, Jun 20, 2005.

1. cgcox

cgcox

Good day, this is my first time on the forum. Iam looking at buying a pistol in 10 mm and I think Ihave it narrowed down to two choices. Either a kimber ecliipse 5" or a glock g20. It will be primarily used as a backpack gun (we are not allowed to carry up here).I am more familiar with the 1911 style (IPSC IDPA competing) but I am interested by the simplicity of the glock. I do a lot of back country hunting float planes and river boats. So far this year there has been 3 people ate by bears up here. Any one have any ideas or advice?

2. j doty

j doty

Both are made by excellent companies. Glock has more experience w/the 10 mm, I believe,though. For a Grizzly gun, you may want to consider a wheelgun with more juice, like the new Ruger .460 or a good old .44 mag. It's a shame though that a killing machine like a Grizzly is allowed to carry his weapons wherever he goes, but law-abiding Canadians are not.

3. LITTLEMAN151

LITTLEMAN151

g20 hands down it's more reliable, can carry more ammo(15+1), you do not have to worry about trying to flip off an external saftey in a stressful situation. i'd even suggest going to a 6" double action wheel gun in either .44mag or .45lc if your in bear country, just my 2 cents worth.

4. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

I second the G20. Out of the 3 Kimbers my Brother, Brother in law, and I have had, all three have given us problems. From FTE's to a new gun starting to rust after only being carried a few times. We have never had any problems with our Glocks and out of all the guns we own they get carried and used most.

Spend half the money and get twice the gun. ;c

5. wyatt55

wyatt55

I also would advise the Glock 20. I just purchased within the last month a Glock 20 which works perfectly and then about a week later I got the new Kimber Eclipse. The Kimber has the cases hitting the top of the frame causing brass marks to appear and I also had numerous FTE on the first 100 rounds. I'm sure that maybe this gun will break in later, but I'm going to stick with the Glock and take the Kimber down to my local gun shop to sell it today.

6. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

That's the funny thing about the Kimber "break in". You mean I drop a grand and then have to spend another $150-$200 on 500rnds of ammo to see if the thing will function correctly? We have one that still fails to extract after 550 rounds. So if we send it back to the factory do we have to run another 500rnds through it to break it in again. Then there's the whole recoil assembily not lasting more than a few thousand rounds. Ok sorry Kimber rant off, I've just had several bad experiences with them and for a $1,000 gun it's just not acceptable.;Q

7. wyatt55

wyatt55

I agree with you Soldat.

It seems that I've been trading in all my other guns now for Glocks. They shoot great, work great, easy to take apart and clean and maintain. I also last week just got a Glock 21 in the OD Green and then the next day a G21 came in with the new Desert Camo and I just had to have that one also. Now I'm thinking of getting a Glock 29.

8. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

I would like to see Sig or H&K chamber somthing in 10mm. You're right Wyatt it dosen't get much better than a Glock.

I'de snatch up a 29 in a heatbeat if it didn't have those dang finger grooves. It would be a welcome addition too, this Texas heat is starting to make lugging around the G20 a chore. I love the 2nd gen frames, too bad they don't make a 2nd gen G29. ;c

9. noway

noway

Will all I can say, the kimber SS target 10mm has been the most accurate gun that I ever shot. If I had the money to buy one, I would do so in a heart beat.

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

I have had two Kimbers-- .45 acp and 10mm.
    Both were flawless from day one.
    YMMV

However, as a all around first choice, I would pick the G20.

11. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

I have a pair of Kimber 10mms - the Stainless Target II and the Eclipse II - and they're great!

I also have a pair of Glock 10mms - a 20 and a 29 - and for what you're describing (backpack gun) - I would definitely go for the Glock!

If this was for a "good looking range gun", I'd give Kimber the edge.

kestrou

12. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

i loved my kimber in 10mm but that kimber is gone now

you would be wise to choose either model. in my opinion, the two best models of 10mm available

13. recoiljunky

recoiljunky

My Kimber 10 functions flawlessly and is one of the most accurate pistols I own (I've got a S&W 629 Classic and a Freedom Arms 454 that edge the Kimber out.) I don't buy into the "Kimbers have reliability problems" theory. I think some people just don't know how to shoot a 1911.

Who cares if the Glock holds 15 rounds, you'll never get to shoot half of them at a charging bear.

I say go with the Kimber because of the better accuracy.

Of course, nobody ever got their feelings hurt for scratching their Glock.;)

14. JSK333

JSK333

Check out Bowie Tactical Concepts. It's run by Dave Bowie, a great instructor at TDI here in southeast Ohio.

Bowie Tactical Concepts
    33 Greenwood Ave.
    West Union, OH 45693
    (937) 544-4606
    http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/

15. liquidsniper

liquidsniper

Well, with whatever gun you decide to go with you might wanna shave off the front post. It will make it easier for you when the bear jams it up your keester after you shoot him and piss him off.................... Sorry couldn't resist.

16. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

If that's the case get the 1911, I hear they run better with lots of oil, might make it more comfortable as well.^4

BTW. That was your uncle in a bear costume....I do't care what the counselor tells you.;)

Thanks for the link JSK333. I would have to see one in person before I made the decision to let someone grind away on one of my Glocks. ;c

17. SilverState

SilverState

I have both, and for what you are looking for, the Glock is the better choice. For the indoor range, the Kimber is better. Though I think I would rather use my .50ae Desert Eagle if I needed to shoot a bear with a pistol.

18. cgcox

cgcox

Thanks for the ideas.How would the recoil of the g20 compare to that of a p13-45? The three pistols that I have now are a p16-40, p13-45 and a STI Edge 40. The larger calibre suggestions make sense but up here I have to carry "concealed". Magazine capacity is "legally" restricted to 10.

19. liquidsniper

liquidsniper

I don't mean to sound like a jackhole or anything, but have you considered a lever action rifle? Like 45-70 govt loaded with garrett hammerheads? Is it just handguns that must be concealed cause if you are worried about bears then your best option is a rifle. The recoil of the g-20 can best be described as "jumpy." More snap than a 45.

20. cgcox

cgcox

Its almost more of a conveniance thing. On our river boat trips I usualy take my shotgun loaded with slug/shot. If I am rifle hunting it would be for backup. I do alot of back country bow hunting trips (lots of hiking , every pound counts when its on your back).I purchased a Marlin Guide gun in 45/70 for my dad and it works great in his boat. Up here we are not allowed to carry a pistol, range use only.Sometimes you just gotta do it.