Killings by Concealed Handgun Licensees Hit 139 Since May 2007

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Feb 25, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Killings by Concealed Handgun Licensees Hit 139 Since May 2007

Josh Sugarmann

Executive director of the Violence Policy Center in Washington, DC.
    Posted: February 22, 2010 01:27 PM

The number of killings by concealed handgun permit holders since since May 2007 has hit 139, according to the February update to the Violence Policy Center's Concealed Carry Killers web site.

Included in the killings are nine dead law enforcement officers, 13 mass shootings, and 11 murder-suicides.

Because the gun lobby has made it virtually impossible to discover the details of crimes committed by specific license holders, the VPC is forced to rely primarily on news reports. So the actual numbers of homicides committed by concealed handgun permit holders is most likely far higher. And, of course, no matter how high the number or how grotesque the acts of violence committed by permit holders, 'ambassadors' from the concealed carry movement always have a ready rationale to excuse virtually any act of violence.
    [​IMG]
    According to an ad for the United States Concealed Carry Association that appeared on the back cover of the National Rifle Association's America's 1st Freedom magazine--
    Carrying A Concealed Weapon Is the 2nd Amendment IN ACTION . Saying you support the 2nd Amendment and actually supporting the 2nd Amendment are Not the same thing. Anyone can donate money to an association to do the talking for them. It takes a very patriotic citizen though to not only do the talking for themselves, but do what really matters... and that's take action. Concealed weapon carriers know that the best way to support the 2nd Amendment is to never leave their gun at home.​
    Except, of course, when that "very patriotic citizen" and CCW instructor uses a gun to murder another "very patriotic citizen" -- his wife and fellow CCW instructor -- in cold blood and then opens fire on police, as detailed in this new Texas homicide contained in the February Concealed Carry Killers update.
    On May 13, 2009, concealed handgun permit holder Ronnie Cook exchanged gunfire with police in an hours-long standoff during which Cook wore a bulletproof vest. The standoff began after Cook phoned a woman and told her that he had killed his wife. The woman then called police. When officers eventually entered Cook's home, they found his wife Darlene dead in the bathroom with a single gunshot wound to the head. Police also found at least five guns and significant amounts of ammunition. According to the assistant district attorney for Anderson County, authorities believed Cook shot his wife as she sat on the toilet. He called the shooting a "cold-blooded and calculated murder." In January 2010, Cook pleaded guilty to one count of murder and four counts of attempted murder against the responding officers. Cook had been a police officer in the 1970s and was an instructor for Cook's Concealed Carry as was his deceased wife. The Cooks had taught concealed handgun permit classes on their property using a mobile home converted into an indoor firing range. Cook was still listed on the Texas Concealed Handgun Association's directory of instructors after he was sentenced to life imprisonment. ​
    Did any of the Cooks' students have second thoughts after reading of the murder of Cook's wife, his shootout with police, and his eventual conviction? Probably not. It is, after all, "The 2nd Amendment In Action." And who would dare argue with that?

link
    <style type="text/css">#smartLinkGrid1387694706 { width: 540px; } #smartLinkGrid1387694706-title {font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color: #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration: none;background-color:white;} #smartLinkGrid1387694706-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEntry1387694706-title{font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color: #666666;background-color:white;line-height:13px !important;text-decoration: none;}#smartLinkGrid1387694706-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartLinkGrid1387694706-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor: pointer; vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0 !important;background:none;padding:0px !important;;border:0px none !important;max-width:14px;width:14px;}</style> <style type="text/css">.smartLinkCell1387694706 { overflow:hidden; } #smartLinkCell1387694706-thumb { -ms-interpolation-mode:bicubic; width:107px;height:107px }</style> <style type="text/css"> #smartLinkGrid1387694706 div { margin: 0 }</style>

2. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Propaganda from the Violence Policy Center. I believe nothing they say.

I would imagine however that with more permit holders there will be more shootings both justified and not.

3. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

The VPC could have easily attepmted to say this was another murder by police of an innocent civilian. I'm actually surprised they haven't.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. geronimo509

geronimo509

Where's the number of people killed by people who illegally carried? If there are less people shot by people carrying illegally, I will get rid of all my guns right now!

Good thing that doesn't have a chance of that happening

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Their newscrawler crashed while compiling the results... :)

My biggest problem w/ the list, is the duplicates in the last two columns(Murder-Suicides and Mass Shootings)... Quite a few are on both lists. It would've had more credibility if they had left 1 of those off.. but.. when did they ever care about credibility.

IGF

6. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I was thinking the same thing. Under Mass Shootings, is that 13 people killed or 13 individual incidents? Similarly with Murder-Suicides; is that 14 people killed or 14 separate incidents?

When you think that there are about 9 million permit holders nationwide, I think the stats suggest that permit holders are less likely than the general population to commit a gun crime.

7. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

The truth is that a background check can't predict the future. Even the screening that takes place in law enforcement hiring isn't enough sometimes. Even LEO's commit crimes. No system is fool proof. If someone wants to kill someone they will figure out how to do it. People have been killing each other long before firearms were invented. Sadly, it seems that violence is some what part of nature.

8. c5367

c5367 Esq.

And I bet the number of crimes committed by LEOs is much higher than 139. Therefore, we should ban cops.

(please note heavy sarcasm directed at VPC morons)

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

No, no no.. Put your liberal idiot glasses on. It means there are 9m people walking around just waiting to shoot someone over who was first in line, or over a minor traffic accident!

:)

IGF

10. Able 5

Able 5

I would counter the article by relating CCW permits to drivers license. Just because one passes the defensive driving course, the written exam, and driving test does not mean that that person will not have a wreck or drink and drive (how many deaths occur from this). If I had a crystal ball or genie I'd be a millionare. You can make any numbers fit your agenda...interesting yet irrelevant.

11. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

Also, I wonder how many of those "killings" were justified, ie not murder? I would think that the numbers might actually be higher if justified shoots were included, but who knows...

12. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Very interesting... I'd like to compare this to how many criminals were killed by CCW holders since 2007...

The bad looks to be about a 0.1% the good looks to be WAY above that! Every month in my state numerous crooks are shot and killed by CCW holders in Justified shootings.

Also nobody ever talks about the CCW holders who STOPPED MASS KILLINGS!! And yes 1 incident was in Texas when that guy drove his truck into an eatery and opened fire... he was killed by a CCW holder but they never show that on the 9 oclock news... just the bad and the good gets page 11 in the local paper.

13. sigdeputy

sigdeputy

"Except, of course, when that "very patriotic citizen" and CCW instructor uses a gun to murder another "very patriotic citizen" -- his wife and fellow CCW instructor -- in cold blood and then opens fire on police, as detailed in this new Texas homicide contained in the February Concealed Carry Killers update.
    On May 13, 2009, concealed handgun permit holder Ronnie Cook exchanged gunfire with police in an hours-long standoff during which Cook wore a bulletproof vest. The standoff began after Cook phoned a woman and told her that he had killed his wife. The woman then called police. When officers eventually entered Cook's home, they found his wife Darlene dead in the bathroom with a single gunshot wound to the head. Police also found at least five guns and significant amounts of ammunition. According to the assistant district attorney for Anderson County, authorities believed Cook shot his wife as she sat on the toilet. He called the shooting a "cold-blooded and calculated murder." In January 2010, Cook pleaded guilty to one count of murder and four counts of attempted murder against the responding officers. Cook had been a police officer in the 1970s and was an instructor for Cook's Concealed Carry as was his deceased wife. The Cooks had taught concealed handgun permit classes on their property using a mobile home converted into an indoor firing range. Cook was still listed on the Texas Concealed Handgun Association's directory of instructors after he was sentenced to life imprisonment."

I really don't see that being a CHL holder and instructor had anything to do with that incident. This incident occured between a husband and wife in their home. That's why they have no credibility with me. Just propoganda. They picked one single incident and act like it is a representation of crime in Texas.

I've got news for those fraudsters. Want the real facts? Here they are, straight from the Texas Dept of Public Safety:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/ConvictionRatesReport2007.pdf

The most recent statistics are for 2007. What do they say? In 2007 there were 61,260 criminal convictions in the state of Texas. Of those 61,260 convictions, 160 of them were Concealed Handgun License holders, representing .02612% of the total convictions. Yup, .026% - essentially 1/4 of 1% of all criminal convictions in Texas were CHL holders. You tell me who is using propaganda - the NRA or the clowns at VPC?

14. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

You know I always weigh in against the VPC... but this doesn't help.

VPC got two strikes on this one... LEO and CCW... but their goal is to demonize any armed opposition to the new progressive America.

15. feelinlucky?

feelinlucky?

The article mentions the USCCA. Their website looks interesting. What is the consensus opinion on that organization?

16. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

"There is no truth in the News and no news in the Truth!"

[​IMG]

17. chief

chief

which incident was that? I thought you might be referring to the "luby's massacre" where george hernard drove his truck into a luby's cafeteria and killed 23 people and wounded 20. but that was before texas had CCW permits. and the guy wasn't killed - he committed suicide.

18. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Luby's massacre

19. Chainlink

Chainlink

64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

20. RioKid

RioKid

Because the gun lobby has made it virtually impossible to discover the details of crimes committed by specific license holders, the VPC is forced to rely primarily on news reports. So the actual numbers of homicides committed by concealed handgun permit holders is most likely far higher. And, of course, no matter how high the number or how grotesque the acts of violence committed by permit holders, 'ambassadors' from the concealed carry movement always have a ready rationale to excuse virtually any act of violence.

Is ".....most likely far higher." a statistic? How accurate is that?