Glock Talk banner

Killing a possum.

6304 Views 41 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  JackRyan
I live in a very suburban neighborhood and never deal with animals that bother me. The other night I was coming home at two in the morning and saw what I thought was a rat. My girlfriend assured me it was a baby possum. I ran to get my bb gun and put a few pellets in it, when my girlfriend stopped me and told me I was insane to take an innocent creatures life. I backed off and have been weary of the animal ever since. Tonight I was outside smoke a cig when I go to through it into the bucket on the other side of the fence I feel something brush against my arm. Long rat like tail!!! I am tired of this possum and need it dead ASAP! I know that there are laws against firing a bb-gun here, but it is better then bringing out the 22 ruger.

My question is, do you think that a bb gun shooting .177 copperhead flat will be able to take care of this problem? Also, what can I do to lure it. Hunters needed!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· F.S.F.O.S.
4,263 Posts
I've never seen anything killed with a .177 pellet rifle other than a squirrel who was shot in the head. Everything else died a slow painful death. I don't like pellet guns for anything bigger than a squirrel in the head at close range..... not powerful enough in my personal opinion.

· Banned
2,465 Posts
I've never seen anything killed with a .177 pellet rifle other than a squirrel who was shot in the head. Everything else died a slow painful death. I don't like pellet guns for anything bigger than a squirrel in the head at close range..... not powerful enough in my personal opinion.
Have you tried the Gamo Shadow 1000, or Whisper? .177 @ around 1000 fps/Grant it. Dead Possum.

· F.S.F.O.S.
4,263 Posts
Have you tried the Gamo Shadow 1000, or Whisper? .177 @ around 1000 fps/Grant it. Dead Possum.
Nope... never used anything that powerful. I was using a Crosman at maybe 650-710fps MAX. Sounds like one of them high power ones might do a bit better, though, especially in .22 caliber but .177 @ 1000fps sounds decent at very close range.

· Banned
2,465 Posts
Nope... never used anything that powerful. I was using a Crosman at maybe 650-710fps MAX. Sounds like one of them high power ones might do a bit better, though, especially in .22 caliber but .177 @ 1000fps sounds decent at very close range.
I use Crosman Premium .177cal, 13gr domed Heavies and Benjemin Discovery Domed Hollow point Heavies. They have great knock down power out to about 40 yards. I havent triend anything further out.

· Señor Member
7,772 Posts
That isn't funny, never was, never will be. Wrong on every level.

Anyone who would suggest that doesn't deserve to call himself a man.

Reactions: JackRyan

· Registered
1 Posts
I whacked a possum as hard as I could in the head with a baseball bat. It laid there and I thought he was dead. When I went to dispose of him in the morning he was gone. He fooled me and he was way too large for even the biggest owl to take off with. I also felt like a total dirtbag and went out and bought a few live traps. I've got all kinds of animals because of the fruit trees on the property, they are easily relocated alive. To trap them live and throw them in a garbage can filled with water or gas them is wrong. I've got a powerful .177 break barrel pellet gun and it's insufficent for animals the size of raccoons and possums with one shot way over half the time. It works well on squirrels and that's about it. It throws pellets about 1,000 fps and I know of only a few other pellet guns that get about 1,200 fps.
The bat I’m planning to use will work 😁👍 Lucille is thirsty, she’s a vampire bat 😁😁

· Registered
3,716 Posts
Before they cleared a lot of land around me, I used to have to roust a possum
that I caught eating my outside cat's food. I scooped them up in a landing
net and tossed em across the road. Haven't seen one for awhile.

· Legendary Lawman
405 Posts
Possums are big Rabies carriers. They get into my barn and their excrement gets into the hay and causes several very bad horse diseases. So when it comes to Possums I'm all about killing em...
Opossums are not big rabies carriers. That is a myth. Any mammal can get rabies, but from what I have read, it is extremely rare for opossums as their body temperature is too low to host the rabies virus.

I disagree with killing the opossum for no other reason than being afraid of it or unconvinced. If the OP must have it gone, the suggestions about live trapping and relocating it is the better alternative, although I would be surprised if that opossum is the only one in the neighborhood.

Here in cornfields and cows country, particularly in rural areas, we are accustomed to seeing opossums, raccoons and other wildlife. If you do not leave pet or other food out and secure your trash, they usually go about their business and do no harm.

· NRA Life Member, G.O.A Member
337 Posts
For big scary opossums, I would use no less than a 50 BMG. Make sure at least one hit is a head shot, then moniter the beast for 3 hours, just to make sure he "ain't playin' possum"!

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Possums are chicken killers.

A friend has lost over 10 chickens to the damned things. One evening I am going over there with a flashlight and a silenced pistol.....
So you are saying they aren't ALL bad?

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Before they cleared a lot of land around me, I used to have to roust a possum
that I caught eating my outside cat's food. I scooped them up in a landing
net and tossed em across the road. Haven't seen one for awhile.
Don't leave cat food lay outside all the time and you won't need a cat.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Reactions: nrajeff

· NRA Life Member, G.O.A Member
337 Posts

· Registered
13,936 Posts
Holy 13 year old thread, Batman!

As to BB guns... I heard "from a friend" that you should use pellets, and not balls, when shooting small game / rodents.

· Registered
704 Posts
Don't be killing possums. They do no harm.
They eat ticks!
When on the job we would get calls of a Racoon in the house and my Sargent was a trapper, the standing (at the time 1988) offer was $5.00 for any thing that had a pelt. Possum, Racoon, Muskrat. etc. My partner would drop off a Have A Heart trap to the home owner, most of the times the question from the home owner was "What do you do with them?" our answer was always the same we take them to Stoke's state Forrest and let them go.
In reality they would get shot in the head with a .22.
One night we got 30 Racoons, we would hit all of the dumpsters at the resturants, schools etc.

'

· Stepping down to the gin palace
10,849 Posts
Necro thread. Possums carry diseases that will kill a horse. I terminate any I come into contact with upon my land. Nasty creatures.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts