close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Killer reciepe: radicchio and cheeses

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by moeman, Mar 3, 2004.

1. moeman

moeman

I've served this a bunch of times at dinner parties. Its a great hit. Its got magical powers--the guys get firsky the girls sassy and its a great appetizer to kick off a meal.*

This is a recipe I came up with after having a great San Francisco restaurant's dish inspire me. If you have any other cool recipes bring them on or improve this one. I love to experiment.

You'll need:

Radicchio (red colored kind of a somewhat bitter cabbage).
    Panchetta (or a wide cut lean bacon).
    Gorganzola cheese (Good blue is great too).
    Goat Cheese
    Apple
    Italian dressing (olive oil, vinegar, spices,parmegian--whatever).
    Marsala or sweet wine
    lemon juice
    oilve oil, salt and pepper
    toothpicks
    some people you'd like to hang with over dinner

Quarter the radicchio, generously hit it w/ the italian dressing, let it sit for 30 min.

Wrap the radicchio with the pancheta secure it with toothpicks (cover the middle 50% w/ the panchetta).

Grill the radicchio wraps so that the panchetta is done. Be on the look out for flare-ups from the dressing dripping. Grill marks are bonus points, a little char is good-- but don't cremate it.

The cheese sauce is a mixtue of the marsala and the cheeses:

High heat: Heat a good amount of marsala in a saute pan-- if you are a pyromaniac and I bet you are, light it for full effect! reduce the marsala by a third. Add a good squirt of lemon juice.

Med-low heat: Add the cheeses, I suggest 60% gorganzola to 40% goat. But hey, what ever blows your skirt up. Stir till they start to melt. Sometimes a little olive oil makes the mixture combine better.

(Optional: A drop, I really mean ONE DROP of Liquid smoke).

When the cheese sauce is warming up good, throw in the cut up apple wedges-- cook them a little soft.

Plate the radicchio wedges, pour the cheese sauce over and use the apple as garnish.

*WARNING: The people who love iceberg lettuce and thousand island dressing and none of that other funny stuff in their salad, will be seriously challenged by this dish.

2. General Sherman

General Sherman

Well, it did not "blow my skirt up" but it does sound like a winner.
    I have some black forest ham in the freezer which may work in this.
    Now I will have to invite some people "who I like to hang with" over for dinner and get out the toothpicks.
    If not people, maybe one special person as a test panel of one.
    I think a good Sonoma zinfandel from Ravenswood would go with this.
    ;)